PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned last night that Johnson missed most of the 2nd half but I didn't know what the injury was. Turns out it was a shoulder injury. Hope it's not serious. Would hate to have to go scrounging around for FB at this time of year if he's got to be IRed..
They just put him on IR :-(

They just put him on IR :-(

I know.. the post you responded to went up about 15 minutes before the announcement by McBride..

Seriously the guy has a long name but zero stats to his credit not the kind of player we are looking for BB.:confused:

Do you really think BB cares what kind of player the fans are looking for?
Not to mention, this could have been a preset workout for them to add to the PS in the event of injury..Especially with only 1 receiver (Van Der Laan) on the PS currently.

Not exactly a lot out there on the dynamics of laces in field goal kicking, however, I found this in popular mechanics:
View attachment 24615
Thats the thing I was thinking about last night re: the wind & kicking XPs and FGs.

I'm trying to compare it to a golf swing. An inside/out swing produces a draw which is what you want if hitting into the wind/reduce wind resistance. Nugent had a bunch of them last night which suggests he meant (I hope) to do it.

I'm also assuming with laces in/out influences ball spin. In golf you want to factor in your ball's compression (as it influences rotation of the ball). If he wanted the laces front/back/side, etc, then that would make the football spin less/more. In theory, depending on what you wanted the ball to do, if its windy then you would factor that in.

Last edited:
OK so can we bring Watson back now??

Didn't Lacosse leave the game with an injury? If it's serious the roster spot not only is open but it's specific to TE.
We really, really! need a TE. A semi legit TE target in the middle is going to make a domino effect impact. IF Watson wasn't cut because he looked like crap in practice and STs are not too affected by Lacosse being gone, maybe Watson will be coming back.

Didn't Lacosse leave the game with an injury? If it's serious the roster spot not only is open but it's specific to TE.
We really, really! need a TE. A semi legit TE target in the middle is going to make a domino effect impact. IF Watson wasn't cut because he looked like crap in practice and STs are not too affected by Lacosse being gone, maybe Watson will be coming back.

LaCosse IR --> OJ Howard
Jakob Johnson --> Ben Watson/D. Allen

Thats the thing I was thinking about last night re: the wind & kicking XPs and FGs.

I'm trying to compare it to a golf swing. An inside/out swing produces a draw which is what you want if hitting into the wind/reduce wind resistance. Nugent had a bunch of them last night which suggests he meant (I hope) to do it.

I'm also assuming with laces in/out influences ball spin. In golf you want to factor in your ball's compression (as it influences rotation of the ball). If he wanted the laces front/back/side, etc, then that would make the football spin less/more. In theory, depending on what you wanted the ball to do, if its windy then you would factor that in.

Yes, that's generally what I was basing my 'guess' on (which seems to be backed up by the popular mechanics article). A ball going through the air with laces to the left or right side is in effect an air catch on one side or the other. Much like a boat that is going straight then you stick an oar in the water on one side of the boat? The boat starts to trend/turn toward that direction.
So if the air catch theory is true it will cause the ball to trend toward the air catch side -- meaning laces left then the ball will trend left (laces were left, Nugent hit the left upright). Again, though, I'm not sure if this aerodynamics correct -- it just seems like it would be correct. And of course this is not factoring wind direction, speed or water content of the air -- calculating that in to the thinking starts to make my head hurt :) :)

Yes, that's generally what I was basing my 'guess' on (which seems to be backed up by the popular mechanics article). A ball going through the air with laces to the left or right side is in effect an air catch on one side or the other. Much like a boat that is going straight then you stick an oar in the water on one side of the boat? The boat starts to trend/turn toward that direction.
So if the air catch theory is true it will cause the ball to trend toward the air catch side -- meaning laces left then the ball will trend left (laces were left, Nugent hit the left upright). Again, though, I'm not sure if this aerodynamics correct -- it just seems like it would be correct. And of course this is not factoring wind direction, speed or water content of the air -- calculating that in to the thinking starts to make my head hurt :) :)
Air pressure & temperature also play a role in how far a football can travel and spin.

:p

EGmZL8jWsAA0PCh.jpg:large

before his last run on the last play of the game when the giants had clearly given up he was 21 for 60 for a HUGE 2.9 ypc

Amazing. Feed the beast

I'm all ears if you'd like to go through and all the yards he should have gotten. :)

"I mean, we had, I believe, 10 players that played about the last 50 plays of the game with no rest because we didn’t have a substitute. They deserve a tremendous amount of credit for that." twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/st…

For the Patriots, 48 of the last 51 plays were out of 11 personnel. And two of the WRs were undrafted rookies.

Julian Edelman's 15 targets last night were his most in a game since 2016.

Ravens coming up in a few games from now. Patriots WRs better be healthy and ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents