PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Browns

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

BTW, if Fryar did it in 1985, he is still wrong saying Thornton is the first Patriots rookie to do it since 1985. Fryar was a rookie in 1984.

Yeah I’ll say it, IMHO Zappe is QB1. It won’t all be a basket of roses but he sees the field very well, can move around in the pocket and step up. Good mobility as well, he’s the guy moving forward.

Whatever may be said about the game vs. Detroit, Zappe threw a lot of balls today to players who weren’t his first read. And recognized busted coverage. And stepped up in the pocket without being jittery. He’s making a very strong case for himself.
If Zappe had been drafted as the starter (say Mac never fell and we rolled another year with a lame-duck QB) the national media would be gushing over his performance so far.

One more game from Zappe where he's efficient, aware in the pocket, and comes out with the W, ad we have a full-n QB controversy in New England. BB may want to pull out the transcript from 2001's conference on this issue and start polling those 5th graders.

Bill Belichick is a God. This team is so dominant. Another easy win, as expected.

The fact that we can win with random 2nd and 3rd stringers at QB really speaks to the talent and coaching of this team, and reminds me of 2016. We'll have the exact same outcome as we did that year.

It will be good to have our starting QB back next week.
You mean this one counted?

Man, you have to really hand it to the Pat’s D, holding maybe the best RB in football to 56 yards.

And then add in Bailey Zappe, his first 300+ yard game and first 2 TD pass game. He had almost as many passing attempts this game than his first 2 games combined, and passed for more yards in this game, than the first 2 games combined. 4 td passes and 1 INT (not his fault) in his 3 starts, 2-1 record. Obviously the playbook is probably simplified for him compared to what Mac has on his plate, but he sure looks more comfortable in this offense than Mac did. It really is a nice problem to have, two good young QBs. I’m really impressed by Zappe so far.

Having Thornton getting some key touches as well as his first 2 NFL TDs was great to see. Can’t want to see him get his first LONG TD. He’s gonna be a key part of this offense going forward, I bet Belichick is licking his chops.

Nice to see Henry & Smith making some big plays, and Parker being involved. Spreading the ball around really makes our offense tough to defend.

Only negative is the continued slow starts. The 1st quarter, they’ve scored 12 points all year. That’s scary against really good teams.

Our run defense is what pleased me the most. We've been gashed at times and didn't allow Chubb to do squat.

Zappe has "it". I haven't forgotten Mac's rookie year but I like Zappe's more. Zappe's play for me anyway feels similar to Ben Roethisberger's rookie year. Simple but effective.

Great win, excited to be back to .500. Thought defense was great and I continue to be impressed by Zappe. Definitely have some mistakes to clean up though, the penalties and bone headed mistakes are frustrating and may result in a loss against better teams.

Thought this was funny. Bill is like “wut”

Last week Zappe was overrated. Way too much hype.

He was good today. Real good.

GDT.png

Even more, they scored on a draw to Stephenson when Browns expected pass, and on a pass to a wide open Henry when CLE expected run. Browns had no idea whether they were going to run or throw let alone who they might be throwing to,

Last edited:
Calm Down Chill Out GIF by Justin
If only I were that deer…

I am still not convinced Zappe is the starter when Jones comes back. He is making a good case for himself, but it was still the Browns. And next week is a bad Bears team.

I think the play calling has been far better in the last few weeks than it was early in the season. Patricia finally remembered the Patriots have TEs. I am not sure if Jones wouldn’t have played as well or better.

I‘m not married to either QB and want the one who is most likely to be the franchise QB of the future. I still think it is Jones, but Zappe is winning me over.

Man, you have to really hand it to the Pat’s D, holding maybe the best RB in football to 56 yards.

And then add in Bailey Zappe, his first 300+ yard game and first 2 TD pass game. He had almost as many passing attempts this game than his first 2 games combined, and passed for more yards in this game, than the first 2 games combined. 4 td passes and 1 INT (not his fault) in his 3 starts, 2-1 record. Obviously the playbook is probably simplified for him compared to what Mac has on his plate, but he sure looks more comfortable in this offense than Mac did. It really is a nice problem to have, two good young QBs. I’m really impressed by Zappe so far.

Having Thornton getting some key touches as well as his first 2 NFL TDs was great to see. Can’t want to see him get his first LONG TD. He’s gonna be a key part of this offense going forward, I bet Belichick is licking his chops.

Nice to see Henry & Smith making some big plays, and Parker being involved. Spreading the ball around really makes our offense tough to defend.

Only negative is the continued slow starts. The 1st quarter, they’ve scored 12 points all year. That’s scary against really good teams.
Fyi, Zap is 2-0 as a starter, tied with JGQ for best all time Pats starter win %.

5 receivers tied for the team high with 4recs is TB12-esque.

Last edited:
Forget who is going to start next week. The real question is….whom are we going to trade for a high first round pick next offseason, Mac or Zappe?

Zappe beats Det and the Browns and of course many reactionary fans think Zappe is a better QB than Jones.
Sure, he looks good with no pressure and open receivers, but most any QB would. Not to add playing with the lead, which helps immensely.

Forget who is going to start next week. The real question is….whom are we going to trade for a high first round pick next offseason, Mac or Zappe?

Well, unfortunately if Belichick chooses Zappe, the Raiders have made a big long term commitment to Carr. I could see McDaniels giving up a first for Mac otherwise.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back