PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dude does abide, always will.

Still think Josh Gordon is an intriguing possibility, a one year rental for probably a later round draft pick at a cap hit for less than 800k...

“This is not ‘Nam, this is bowling, there are rules.”

I would seriously donate a sizable amount to charity of his choice if I got BB on video (with rights going to me) saying, "The Dude Abides".

What effect do these one year signings have on the compensatory draft picks?

They are both unrestricted free agents so they both count in the comp pick formula. So if their salaries are high enough (usually over 1 million a year) then I'm guessing that Niklaus will wipe out the 7th round comp pick the Pats would have gotten for Fleming. Technically they both could count, but since the Pats only had one 7th rd pick, that is what will get cancelled out.

Of course this can change over the next few months, they can get cut before week 10, which means they don't count. Plus the Pats still have Branch, Harrison, and RJF who could sign elsewhere and be eligible for comp picks.

Last edited:
Has LUKE BOWANKO been signed yet??

I guess names being funny depends on where you are. In other parts of the country, Riley McCarran or Devin McCourty might be funny.

Kayvon Webster, that is.

I think I read he had a pretty good year with LA. Wonder if he would fit here. I'm not sold on Rowe.

I really don't now how good/bad Webster is these days.

IIRC, a lot of folks liked him coming out of South Florida in 2013, but he quickly became STO with Denver thru 2016. The 2-year, $7.75M deal he signed with the Rams in 2017 seemed like a lot at the time.

EDIT: Forgot to add ... Webster ruptured his Achilles in week-13 last season, and, while on IR, he also had surgery to repair a shoulder that he'd injured early in the season. He might not even be ready for the start of the season.

Yeah, Rowe (sigh). I feel like he could get to be pretty good, if he could stay out of the training room for more than 5 minutes at a stretch.

Meanwhile, I feel like Jon Jones may have the #3 spot pretty well covered. He played almost twice as many D-snaps as Rowe in 2017, and was probably the second-best CB on the crew last season behind Gilmore. Only the coaches can know his prognosis from here, of course.

Jones is RFA after 2018 and Rowe is UFA after 2018. With perhaps low confidence in Cy Jones at this point, and with the much-hyped Ryan Lewis as yet untested under live fire conditions, and with Jason McCourty turning 32 in 2019, it seems like the Pats may invest in a CB this draft, to be certain that they have four decent players for 2019.

If you enjoy watching 70-yard punts that end in touchbacks, there may be a lot of them in Denver this season.

There you go @captain stone. Your new team..
King doesn't even need the high altitude of Denver to have his kicks go where he needs them to go, but Ryan Allen absolutely does.

And if the money were the same, then I would trade Allen for King Any Day of the Week.

I think I read he had a pretty good year with LA. Wonder if he would fit here. I'm not sold on Rowe.
I’m with you. Just not sold on Rowe, either. I think he’s an okay depth option, but I don’t feel all that confident about him being our CB2 as many project. We’ll have to see how it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back