PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dude does abide, always will.

Still think Josh Gordon is an intriguing possibility, a one year rental for probably a later round draft pick at a cap hit for less than 800k...

“This is not ‘Nam, this is bowling, there are rules.”

Let Dorsett the chance to prove his worth. He has been almost taken from the street ( sometimes it is better than Colts limpy system ) in the middle of the season. He did not even have a chance to feel like a full time player. He's got good hands and brilliant speed so I am not saying he is another Cooks, but he can provide us a good production as a WR. I think BB clearly knew that he would be an important part of the team, when he got him from Indy. Some sources say the both sides ( Pats and Cooks ) did not reach an agreement about Cooks' extention and BB must have realized he needed his replacement. And there he is - Dorsett.

Let Dorsett the chance to prove his worth. He has been almost taken from the street ( sometimes it is better than Colts limpy system ) in the middle of the season. He did not even have a chance to feel like a full time player. He's got good hands and brilliant speed so I am not saying he is another Cooks, but he can provide us a good production as a WR. I think BB clearly knew that he would be an important part of the team, when he got him from Indy. Some sources say the both sides ( Pats and Cooks ) did not reach an agreement about Cooks' extention and BB must have realized he needed his replacement. And there he is - Dorsett.
Possibly. It’s good to have him in the mix for a spot. Personally, I still think he’s 50/50 to make the team at the end of the summer. It will be interesting to see if they pick up his fifth year option in the next few weeks or not.

For what it’s worth, he didn’t come in the middle of the season. He was brought in the day of final cuts which occurred at the beginning of Sept. He was here for the whole season, and even when there were injuries to Hogan, Gronk, and even Cooks in the SB, he didn’t do much of anything. We’ll have to see if he steps his game up in TC and the preseason, or if he’s just another patsfans legend who we all drool over for no good reason.

I still think that Cooks’ spot is either taken by a draft pick or a guy like Matthews, meaning that we likely still have 3 locks and 2 available spots for guys like Britt, Patterson, Dorsett, and Mitchell. We can hope for Dorsett to cash in on his speed, but he hasn’t really been able to do that with a ton of success thus far in his NFL career. It will be a good storyline for the summer, either way.

Possibly. It’s good to have him in the mix for a spot. Personally, I still think he’s 50/50 to make the team at the end of the summer. It will be interesting to see if they pick up his fifth year option in the next few weeks or not.

For what it’s worth, he didn’t come in the middle of the season. He was brought in the day of final cuts which occurred at the beginning of Sept. He was here for the whole season, and even when there were injuries to Hogan, Gronk, and even Cooks in the SB, he didn’t do much of anything. We’ll have to see if he steps his game up in TC and the preseason, or if he’s just another patsfans legend who we all drool over for no good reason.

I still think that Cooks’ spot is either taken by a draft pick or a guy like Matthews, meaning that we likely still have 3 locks and 2 available spots for guys like Britt, Patterson, Dorsett, and Mitchell. We can hope for Dorsett to cash in on his speed, but he hasn’t really been able to do that with a ton of success thus far in his NFL career. It will be a good storyline for the summer, either way.
Ok, using the term "middle of the season" I meant a training camp and the regular season. However, I want to believe Dorsett will be far more productive spending time with the training camp and TB12. Maybe stepping up of him is my wishful thinking, but it could be a low risk high reward player.

Ok, using the term "middle of the season" I meant a training camp and the regular season. However, I want to believe Dorsett will be far more productive spending time with the training camp and TB12. Maybe stepping up of him is my wishful thinking, but it could be a low risk high reward player.
Yeah, for sure. He’s got a year in our system and the speed to take over some of those assignments. I’m just leery as to whether or not he’s even half as good as Brandin Cooks was, that’s all. I’ve yet to really see anything that tells me that he can track long balls with any success, or that he’s going to be physical enough to get 50/50 balls.

That’s not even bringing up the fact that he’d need to do some of what we had hoped Cooks would do in year two, in terms of going over the middle for crossers, catching back shoulder throws, etc. Personally, I don’t see it, but I hope that I’m wrong and that he steps up and flourishes here. Fingers crossed.

Seriously?

Dorsett had no Camp or OTAs in which to learn the Pats' offensive system. In spite of that, his 16.2 YPC was second only to Cooks, and his 67% catch rate was better than Cooks, Hogan or Gronk. In fact, in the second half of the season, Dorsett caught 8 of 10 for 109 yards, and then 2 of 3 for 50 yards in the playoffs.

Oh, yeah, he also blocks downfield really well.

I'm withholding judgment on Dorsett until after the Pats coaches have had a chance to actually teach him the offense, but I think he's had a really promising start.

BTW, Gronk has been a consistent "deep threat" for the Pats for years.

I agree about Dorsett. I think when called upon he showed enough last year to think he can be a more elusive but overall inferior outside version of Cooks. Your classic 80/20 guy. We dont need a 1000 yard season from this role but a solid 600-700 yards that keep defenses honest.

Yeah, for sure. He’s got a year in our system and the speed to take over some of those assignments. I’m just leery as to whether or not he’s even half as good as Brandin Cooks was, that’s all. I’ve yet to really see anything that tells me that he can track long balls with any success, or that he’s going to be physical enough to get 50/50 balls.

That’s not even bringing up the fact that he’d need to do some of what we had hoped Cooks would do in year two, in terms of going over the middle for crossers, catching back shoulder throws, etc. Personally, I don’t see it, but I hope that I’m wrong and that he steps up and flourishes here. Fingers crossed.

IDK, if Dorsett can provide half of Cooks' production at his own 16.2 YPC and 67% catch rate, he'd have value as a #3/#4 deep threat ... 30-35 catches, 500 yds, 3-4 TDs.

Small sample size, but Dorsett did catch a couple-three deep crossers/slants last season. He was also a pretty decent downfield blocker. Maybe not quite at the Hogan/Amendola/Edelman level of ferocity, but perhaps indicating at least a bit more general willingness to be physical than what Cooks demonstrated.

Maybe not quite at the Hogan/Amendola/Edelman level of ferocity, but perhaps indicating at least a bit more general willingness to be physical than what Cooks demonstrated.

He definitely seemed more elusive in the open field than Cooks did. I am curious how he would look during WR screens.

Dorset is more likely to be cut than to be an important part.

If Belichick didn't have faith in the backups (Patterson, Dorsett, Britt, Mitchell and McCarran), he might have waited to make the trade until he signed an additional receiver.

If Belichick didn't have faith in the backups (Patterson, Dorsett, Britt, Mitchell and McCarran), he might have waited to make the trade until he signed an additional receiver.

Nobody up ^ there Replaces Brandin Cooks don't even entertain the thought...I am saving you the troubles.:rolleyes:

IDK, if Dorsett can provide half of Cooks' production at his own 16.2 YPC and 67% catch rate, he'd have value as a #3/#4 deep threat ... 30-35 catches, 500 yds, 3-4 TDs.

Small sample size, but Dorsett did catch a couple-three deep crossers/slants last season. He was also a pretty decent downfield blocker. Maybe not quite at the Hogan/Amendola/Edelman level of ferocity, but perhaps indicating at least a bit more general willingness to be physical than what Cooks demonstrated.

"IF" more times than not doesn't translate to the Football field.

Nobody up ^ there Replaces Brandin Cooks don't even entertain the thought...I am saving you the troubles.:rolleyes:
But Edelman does.

Ravens sign RG3.

2 elite QB’s on 1 roster wow
Flacco is no longer elite (if he ever were). The Ravens will be drafting a QB.

You must be counting Josh Woodrum.

Certainly no one but RGIII's mother and agent would consider him to currently be an elite quarterback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes