PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the Pats would have spent 3m on McCourty to put him on the bench.
While I agree with your general opinion that McCourty will likely make the team, the reality is that the Pats have given him nothing more than a 350k roster bonus that kicked in the day after he signed.

He has a zero dead cap hit, and would save the team almost 3m dollars if he doesn’t make the squad. He’s in the same boat as guys like Cordarelle Patterson, Jordan Matthews, Eric Rowe, Mike Gilleslee, Dwayne Allen, Philip Dorsett, Geno Grissom, etc. Any of them can easily be cut with absolutely no dead cap hit.

So, Peters has 2 years remaining at considerably cheap (6.75 and 7.75M). The Eagles having Vaitai, who performed exceptionally in the play-offs, are probably more likely to trade Peters.

Peters somehow gets away with a false start on virtually every single snap, that might not be the case if he was on the Patriots.

Dez, meh, certainly not at the money he is under contract for now, or anything close to it. Who do you cut if you bring in Dez? Hogan? that's 3 million in cap savings. Properly motivated he could be great, or he could be a disaster.

Obviously idle speculation

HOWEVER, do you think that Dez would be invited for a visit if he were to be cut? Of course he would.
I would hope not.

Overthecap has changed the Pats expected 2019 comp picks to a 3, 3, 6 and 7. This makes more sense to me, as the Niklas and Matthews cap numbers seemed to be intentionally low, so as to avoid affecting the team’s draft haul. Great news.

Peters somehow gets away with a false start on virtually every single snap, that might not be the case if he was on the Patriots.

Dez, meh, certainly not at the money he is under contract for now, or anything close to it. Who do you cut if you bring in Dez? Hogan? that's 3 million in cap savings. Properly motivated he could be great, or he could be a disaster.
Dez hasn’t had a 100 yard game in his past 23 tries. He isn’t worth 1/2 of his contract, and the Patriots probably wouldn’t be interested in paying him more than 1/4 of his current deal.

If Peters wasn’t coming off a torn ACL and MCL, and not 37 years old by this coming seasons end, it might make sense. If it was merely age and not both age and health, would be all for it.

Dez hasn’t had a 100 yard game in his past 23 tries. He isn’t worth 1/2 of his contract, and the Patriots probably wouldn’t be interested in paying him more than 1/4 of his current deal.

I am not one who wants Dez on the Patriots, but 100 yard games has never been the thing for Bryant. He's only had 18 of them, in 113 games. He's had two seasons without any 100 yard games, and two seasons with just one 100 yard game. This is also not the only long stretch of games he's gone without topping 100, as he had a 22 game stretch of it before.

I bet he wishes Romo was still his QB, though, because there's no question (IMO) that at least part of his production drop off has been because of the new QB.

I guarantee that Dez becomes a Bengal or Raven...

Properly motivated he could be great, or he could be a disaster.

If by properly motivated you mean put into a machine that magically makes him 4 years younger then sure. Last year he couldn't get any separation anymore. And now there are rumblings about Dalls moving on?

He is done.

Jarvis Landry and the Browns are signing a 5 year 75 Mi deal.

<facepalm>

Big names always draw fans attention even after they stop playing like their rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes