PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread: Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we look back on this draft two years from now and McDuffie is a solid corner and Jermaine Johnson is a stud.
Allow me to apologize for questioning you...

Sincerely.

I don't have enough bourbon in the house...

I had Strange in half my mocks - at pick 84...

I. Really. Don't. Get. It.

Despite putting too much time in the process . we still have no idea of the value.

???

I'm pretty sure the Rams gave us at least some idea. Which team do you think was going to pick him before the Patriots could get him either lower in round one or in round two?

Exactly, at least 2 or 3 of the guys we could have picked between 21 and 29 will end up being studs and even if Strange is good, we could have got one of them and picked him up in the third.

Realistically Strange has to be a mega steal who is a consistent All Pro and we need to hit on the picks we got from KC pretty hard got this to be a success
I just saw a clip of McVay and Les Snead where both expressed some amount of surprise Strange got picked there. McVay even said they thought he would be there at 101. Good thing we jumped ahead of those Rams!

Could simply be that Mason was a RG but not a LG, and Onwenu is a RG or a RT but doesn’t do well on the left either. They move Mason, save money, replace him with Onwenu with hopefully no real drop off and then hope Strange can be as good as Karras soon at LG and then eventually better.
Well Strange needs to be much better than Karras. Karras is a jag and clearly a place they wanted to upgrade. They are replacing him with exactly what he isn’t, an athletic G who won’t get manhandled.

You know what might be funny regarding this draft?? Your Day 3 Selection might be better value than your first.

Well Strange needs to be much better than Karras. Karras is a jag and clearly a place they wanted to upgrade. They are replacing him with exactly what he isn’t, an athletic G who won’t get manhandled.
Yep, was speaking from a year 1 perspective.

31 reps on the bench press is serious. I think Zion had 32. Johnson III had 26 o 27. Strange will be a solid player for us - nothing amazing but not a bust. Strange and Onwenu are better than Karras and Mason from 2021.

31 reps on the bench does not make him a player. We had a tackle years ago that had
40+ Reps & he sucked.

Sincerely.

Allow me to tell you you know just as much as I do about who will be good and who won’t.

Sincerely a guy who would rather take a chance on an impact position and fail than hit at a position that has minimal upside over a mid to late rounder.

I. Really. Don’t. Get. It.

I agree with this. Strange is not a bad pick, but not what we really needed. Hill or Elam would have been great IMO. I am not a Booth fan.
Offensive lines are important.

Tavon Austin and Jordan Richards rolling in their graves didn't think any Reach could top them.

We drafted a Mike Ruth O lineman with alligator arms

Sincerely.

no need for scouting and the actual draft because the mocks make all the important decisions

It was awful. They only won 10 games and finished a whole game behind the Bills for the division. They need to clean house!
Do you really think we’re close to competing with the Bills in 2022? Homer glasses off please tell me you think we’re even close.

I can’t predict players for crap, but I certainly can predict fan reactions because it is always the same every year. Pats fans almost always hate the first round pick.

So tomorrow the Pats are likely to pick a player in the second round or third round that people will feel he is a round higher value because there is always a player they feel is drafted a round too early and other that is drafted a round lower than he should go in the first three four rounds. Strange is the guy people feel should have gone a round later. So they could draft someone like Dean in the second round.
Really, not true. Most really liked last years draft. I know I did. A small reach like Dugger was good because he is a freak athlete. But this is a huge 1st round reach at a position where you can get good players like Strange in the 3-4 rounds and likely could have had this player in the 3rd certainly the second. And there were very good players at positions of need available. This one is a real head scratcher.

I didn't mind the trade down. There were plenty of good players on the board at 29 but this pick is just gross. He could be a good guard but the point is you could have had him at 54 for certain. Just bad value. Trade your starting guard for a 5th and replace him with a 1st rounder is bad enough. When you could have got the guy 50 picks later, it's almost laughable.

I've defended a few Bill draft picks in the past but with where we are in the AFC we really needed to maximise the value of our picks and we haven't done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back