PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 1

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
SOME THOUGHTS - A FINE DAY ONE
1) We have re-signed key players. [I would like to see P. Brown and Jennings or Uche re-signed (preferably Jennings]
2) Takitaki should be an upgrade over Wilson.
3) Gibson should be at least equal to Zeke as a 3rd down back
4) Brissette is a huge upgrade over Jones and the first KEY SIGNING TO FILE A HOLE.
5) Cleaning house of Parker, Jones, Guy, Phillips, and Board is a plus
6) Chubacca is huge upgrade over McDermott. although McDermott should still come to camp.

KEY NOTE
Many more players will become available on WED when teams need to get under the salary cap.

REMAINING KEY PRIORITIES (many fewer than this morning)
1) LT
2) S to replace Phillips and Mills, hopefully a starting quality free safety
3) WR
4) LB (Jennings/Uche or another)
5) #2 TE (P. Brown or another)
6) backup OG to compete with Mafi
7) A top DL to replace Guy
8) A corner, hopefully to play opposite Gonzo (or just re-sign Bryant)
9) As always, a STer or to replace Board and Davis

OBVIOUSLY
We need to use the first 2-3 rounds of the draft to address QB and LB (which is a fine plan).
Pretty much agree. Though I do not believe Gibson will be as good as Zeke was for us last season. People here probably haven’t watched him play much at all. We downgraded at RB.

There were several (much) superior backs out there and if we wanted a nasty 1-2 punch we could’ve had it if we were willing to spend a little. Would’ve helped take pressure off of a weak passing game.

I understand not allocating money in that direction but Gibson was a pretty underwhelming option. Let’s hope Rhamondre stays healthy.

Last edited:
I'm not going to blame Eliot Wolf or the patriots for not bringing in a stud player in FA.

Why? Because they're not available in FA.

McKinney is a big get, but there are few exceptions otherwise
Simmons, Stone, and Curl are still left I think. Any of them would help at FS.
There are no easy fixes at the 4 key positions: QB, WR, CB, LT.
Not great options but Fuller (older) and Witherspoon (was good last year) are still available at CB. Even bringing back Gilmore would be OK. We need someone opposite Gonzo.

QB, WR and Offensive Tackles have to be in the draft - agreed.

Biggest NFL draft for WRs depth incoming and we resign Reagor lol. Other teams are literally putting up decent trade option WRs too because of the salivating WR draft.

WTF Self Harm is real.

Simmons, Stone, and Curl are still left I think. Any of them would help at FS.

Don't forget Jordan Fuller of the Rams. Only 26. He's about the same as Curl, but fewer missed tackles at 10 by PFF and 5 by Pro-Football-Reference.

Stone was good in coverage, but lousy in run defense. He had 17 missed tackles on the season according to PFF. Pro-Football-Reference had him at 9 missed.

Curl wasn't as good in Coverage as Stone, but was better in run support. Though he also had 14 missed tackles. P-F-R had Curl at 9 missed tackles.

Justin Simmons was better than Curl in Run support. About the same in coverage. PFF had Simmons at 9 missed compared to 5 by P-F-R.

Not great options but Fuller (older) and Witherspoon (was good last year) are still available at CB. Even bringing back Gilmore would be OK. We need someone opposite Gonzo.

Kendall Fuller just turned 29. He had a down year with the Commanders. Despite that, he was targeted just 80 times.

Witherspoon give good help in run support, but has issues with missed tackled. 11 by PFF / 9 P-F-R.

I'd definitely consider Gilmore on a 1-2 year deal.

It's going to be interesting to see how Isaiah Bolden does in his return and where he lines up. CB or S.

QB, WR and Offensive Tackles have to be in the draft - agreed.

If the Pats could trade back and pick up another 1st round pick or even a 1st and 2nd round pick, that would be HUGE.

Biggest NFL draft for WRs depth incoming and we resign Reagor lol. Other teams are literally putting up decent trade option WRs too because of the salivating WR draft.

WTF Self Harm is real.

Reagor was the team's Kick Return guy last year. They signed him to a 1yr deal for chump change. Stop acting like the guy was given a 4yr deal or somethin. Sheesh..

Reagor being re-signed is a nothing burger in the scheme of things.

Reagor was the team's Kick Return guy last year. They signed him to a 1yr deal for chump change. Stop acting like the guy was given a 4yr deal or somethin. Sheesh..

How about. We get some talent on the team instead of retreads we know ain't fit to be in the league?

Is that too much to ask for?

Hoping day 2 brings in a WR weapon, whether it’s Ridley or someone via trade.

Simmons would be awesome.

Smith at LT.

Bring back Jennings and Bryant.
If we could bring in smith at lt, trade for higgings with a 3 and 5th rd pick , use 34 for OT and 3 for qb I think this would do wonders to our offense

Simmons at FS and extend dugger for the SS Lb role would be nice

I also would like to see a Guy replacement and Jennings as you said

Hoping day 2 brings in a WR weapon, whether it’s Ridley or someone via trade.

Simmons would be awesome.

Smith at LT.

Bring back Jennings and Bryant.

Bryant? With all of the secondary talent still available in free agency? Bryant? 2:37AM posting, maybe you were hammered?

Brown is a fa, but hopefully shouldnt be hard to keep. Hes also familiar with avp. Yeah i dont feel so bad anymore about Wilsons departure. Lock up jennings and brown, trade for aiyuk. Maybe sign smith LT. That be my wish list for the rest of fa.
Agree, Pharoah brown is huge guy, and has deceptive speed for his size. I absolutely would like to retain him. Yes Tyron Smith at LT makes sense. Jennings and I'd like a WR today as well is my wishlist.

Gotta fill the holes, I like Reagor I badly want to see him do well.
Me too. The team sees more upside and potential in him than Parker. Reagor did play well late last season either more opportunity. That is the just the thing. Some players just need playing time, Jennings got it and he looks like a budding star.

Today is a new day.. but feels like the same as 2 days ago

Last edited:

Thornton should be returner. We don't need wasting money like this.

Thank You So Much GIF by euphoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST