PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 4

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question. Do you want us to be competitive? If not, fine . But this team was 4-13 and have not really added anything but fringe players. I think we needed them, but we need some good players too. We’ve basically added nothing and lost the greatest coach and hired a guy who I don’t know if we can have all that much faith in. Major downgrade at coach.
Great HC not the last Four years the wheels were coming off.

I don't mind to suffer a few years to get back on our feets. We won 6 SB in the last two decades. We can sustain a few tough years no?

I don't mind to suffer a few years to get back on our feets. We won 6 SB in the last two decades. We can sustain a few tough years no?
That’s fine, nobody is expecting them to compete for the division in 24 or 25. But damn spend some money put some legitimate effort into adding legit talent to a talent deprived team.

Personally, I was kind of thinking we’d suffered enough the past few years and deserved undefeated seasons with every game having a margin of victory above fifty points for a while. I don’t think that’s unreasonable to ask. :)

Listening to the local sports talk in LA has them addressing O-line.
Jim McMahon going to the Trenches interesting after losing both Starting Receivers.

That’s fine, nobody is expecting them to compete for the division in 24 or 25. But damn spend some money put some legitimate effort into adding legit talent to a talent deprived team.
The Defense is not lacking on Talent it's the other side something smells.
Dislike Do Not Want GIF

The Defense is not lacking on Talent it's the other side something smells.
Dislike Do Not Want GIF
Defense could use some help too, but yeah compared to the offense they’re in much much better shape.

With all the players WAS brought in, mocks now have them selecting Daniels. Pats get Maye. Is he the guy?

With all the players WAS brought in, mocks now have them selecting Daniels. Pats get Maye. Is he the guy?
Daniels look more Special that can be plainly seen.

That’s who I would prefer, but he needs to sit for a year or half a year. That’s fine, Brissett can run the show til then.

If you told me in October that the Pats would be drafting Maye I would’ve been head over heels. Yes he has some flaws but they’re overblown. I think he has the second-highest ceiling behind Caleb but with none of the drama.

Serious question. Do you want us to be competitive? If not, fine . But this team was 4-13 and have not really added anything but fringe players. I think we needed them, but we need some good players too. We’ve basically added nothing and lost the greatest coach and hired a guy who I don’t know if we can have all that much faith in. Major downgrade at coach.
Sure, I want them to be competitive but I’ve also accepted that a rookie HC and rookie QB (who may or may not play) mean they’re not going to be as competitive as the rest of the roster might say they should be. The goal here is pretty clear, to be as competitive as possible while also not dumping significant resources into short term fixes. Even the guys they signed to one year contracts have pretty clear paths to earning an extension if they perform well, and none of the additions would be considered old by NFL standards.

It’s really hard to be as bad as they were last season. It took injuries to six offensive tackles, losing their star defenders early in the season, and a QB that just fell apart. I think it’s plenty reasonable to expect a better season in 2024 than 2023 while also acknowledging that 2024 is largely about 2025 and behind.

Last edited:
Or since the bears pick before us in the forth round they preferred that pick.
Or maybe they preferred trading him out of conference.

We would’ve had to trade them our 3rd rounder to jump past the bears 4th round pick. Not sure how happy we would’ve been trading that away for what may be a 1 year rental on an otherwise crappy team.

The Bears pick ahead of us in the 1st round since they have the Panthers' pick, but our pick is higher than theirs in the later rounds before accounting for any other trades. The 4th round pick traded for Keenan Allen is #110.

I agree that I wouldn't have been happy giving up our 3rd (#68), but the NE 4th (#103) would have been enough to beat the Bears' offer. We don't know if #103 was offered and LAC preferred to trade Allen out of conference, but I would've been more than comfortable to send over #103 for a player of Allen's calibre despite his age and contract status.

Sure, I want them to be competitive but I’ve also accepted that a rookie HC and rookie QB (who may or may not play) mean they’re not going to be as competitive as the rest of the roster might say they should be. The goal here is pretty clear, to be as competitive as possible while also not dumping significant resources into short term fixes. Even the guys on one year contracts have pretty clear paths to earning an extension if they perform well, and none of the additions would be considered old by NFL standards.

It’s really hard to be as bad as they were last season. It took injuries to six offensive tackles, losing their star defenders early in the season, and a QB that just fell apart. I think it’s plenty reasonable to expect a better season in 2024 than 2023 while also acknowledging that 2024 is largely about 2025 and behind.
I think 2024 will mostly be about establishing a new culture, installing a very new offense and letting their rookie QB sit and learn and absorb things without a ton of pressure. They’ll be OK this year but some offensive pieces may still be lacking, but they probably view that as a 2 year project.

For what it’s worth, Rodgers will probably be done after this year in NY and Miami will have major cap problems, so the division will soften as well in 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3