PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 4

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The week continues. We'll run these daily through tomorrow, and then on Saturday we can start a new persistent thread without new ones every day. Any signings the Pats make can continue to be their own thread too.

When offensive market is shrinking everyday maybe it is time to invest some money in defense. Of course there are some interesting names on the board like Tyron Smith or there is possibility to look at someone via trade.
However Gilmore/Fuller or other veteran CB2 is coveted, maybe Simmons as a safety would be an interesting choice or Arik Armstead to pair him with Barmore. We will see what day 4 brings.

Like to add a fs and maybe cb/lb. Not seeing any ideal t or wr options right now and would probably rather go the draft or trade route

Guessing we will sign or trade for a WR today.
Maybe a safety will be added.
Does Cleveland’s offense use a fullback at all?
Would love to see Smith and or Beckton under contract with us.
We have the cap to get both.

Some best available free agents for the Pats to target

509157CD-5F52-4745-B3D5-C8F68DC42F64.png

Tyron Smith has to get signed eventually, curious what the story there is.

According to the Athletic, the Pats have checked in with Cincinnati and LAC on WR trades in recent weeks. For CIN, that's obviously Higgins, but for LAC that may have been either Allen or Williams before Williams was cut.

When offensive market is shrinking everyday maybe it is time to invest some money in defense. Of course there are some interesting names on the board like Tyron Smith or there is possibility to look at someone via trade.
However Gilmore/Fuller or other veteran CB2 is coveted, maybe Simmons as a safety would be an interesting choice or Arik Armstead to pair him with Barmore. We will see what day 4 brings.
The offensive market wasn’t that great to begin with, which stunk since that was our biggest need. Given that I was hoping we’d be targeting the star defenders to keep the defense running while building the offense through the draft (where it is a strength this year). Wilkins would have been nice, but knowing we’d have to pay Barmore next year it’s hard to justify devoting $60m of the salary cap to just the DT position. I had hoped they would have made a play for Xavier McKinney, a difference maker at a position we could use at a reasonable salary. That’s my only real disappointment to date. Ridley would have been a massive overpay, and I had major feelings of Agholor-type regret in the future if we grabbed him for that dollar amount.

Carolina’s previous regime really messed things up there. What a disaster.

Today will go down in Pats history.........

...as the 4th day of Free Agency 2024.

If BB was still in charge, it'd be the day we'd start signing FAs...

The offensive market wasn’t that great to begin with, which stunk since that was our biggest need. Given that I was hoping we’d be targeting the star defenders to keep the defense running while building the offense through the draft (where it is a strength this year). Wilkins would have been nice, but knowing we’d have to pay Barmore next year it’s hard to justify devoting $60m of the salary cap to just the DT position. I had hoped they would have made a play for Xavier McKinney, a difference maker at a position we could use at a reasonable salary. That’s my only real disappointment to date. Ridley would have been a massive overpay, and I had major feelings of Agholor-type regret in the future if we grabbed him for that dollar amount.
Totally agree.

Like to add a fs and maybe cb/lb. Not seeing any ideal t or wr options right now and would probably rather go the draft or trade route
Not that I want him, but it is interesting that Brown hasn’t been signed by anyone, as well as Smith.

Have other teams seen enough of Brown that they are deciding to stay away, unless it is a real team-friendly deal?

I’m on board with building the WR room through the draft. LT is a different story altogether. We need one in a bad way.
There are several LT's left. As with other positions, we need to be able to convince someone to come to join a weak Offense. Signing Onwenu and Chewbacca should have helped. We are now solid on the right side of the OL. With Strange, Mafi, Sow and Andrews all possible at LG or backup LG, we also are OK at C and LG.

So, if the coaches can convince the LT that we will have a good OL, we might be able to get one of the top LT's available.

Can't wait for reports Tyron Smith is the favorite to land here, followed by the Chiefs swooping in last minute.

Not that I want him, but it is interesting that Brown hasn’t been signed by anyone, as well as Smith.

Have other teams seen enough of Brown that they are deciding to stay away, unless it is a real team-friendly deal?

For some reason the tackles and wrs have been slow right now. Out of the top targets only ridley and jonah williams have gone to me knowledge.

I know for sure i wouldn’t pay brown very much in guarantees. And smith is even older, guessing teams are wary.

It seems that the market has yet to be set. I do HOPE that we get one of the top 3 or 4. Yes, Brown is an enigma. He certainly has the talent and can produce when he has a coach that can handle him. And yes, he is indeed worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes