PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2021 Cutdown Day Thread

I think they bring back Dolegala on the PS (I believe he's available again) as a layer of security until Stidham can come off the PUP in 6 weeks. At that point there should be less of a roster crunch and they'll carry all 3 guys, but if they need to float someone they can probably move Hoyer to the PS and bring him back as necessary since his salary will have been guaranteed from being on the week 1 roster (assuming they bring him back today).

By mid-season my guess (or at least my hope) is Stidham would become the #2 since he SHOULD have more upside than Hoyer if Mac gets hurt but who knows.
Dolegala is a good backup option...he has system knowledge.

I'm a In BB I Trust guy but I do not agree with Hoyer being #2. No way in hell.

I think they have a pretty good team. Need some help at WR and CB but are pretty solid.

LOL. Well, hes won a SB. Gotta give him credit. He keeps his mouth shut and is a good backup QB
My thoughts are we're at least a season or two from being contenders. Not all the FAs we signed will be worth the money and get cut, some will prove their worth and get extensions. Mac will need time to learn from rookie mistakes. As you say we're not strong at WR and CB, two key skill positions. Given what they cost on the market, it'll probably mostly be drafting to fill those holes and that takes time. In this situation, I'm fine with Hoyer as a 'break glass in case of emergency' backup.

Brown is 1 year removed from a 6 TD - 1000 yard season.

Former Buffalo Bill doesnt hurt none either. John Brown Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
I think Brown would be a nice fit. Agholor is our only real deep threat. Another guy who can spread the defense for our slot guys, tight ends, and running game. Plus, Mac throws a great deep ball.

Even though I think Hoyer sucks I do NOT think this team goes anywhere without Jones at QB.

Agreed if it's long term, but if Mac were to miss 3 weeks at some point? You want a guy that can go at least 1-2 (preferably 2-1 depending on the matchups in that stretch). I'm not convinced Hoyer CAN'T do that with the other talent on this team and the right opponents. The Chiefs game last year was kind of a weird circumstance so I'm not reading too much into that. But there's no question there's room to upgrade there, assuming the backup isn't needed so early that a new face has no time to get up to speed.

I heard there's a former MVP, recently released with system knowledge out there if Mac goes down.

(Sorry, I had to)
If Cam were willing I'd love him on a shadow roster. Hoyer can back up in game but if a longer injury occurs hit that speed dial. This assumes Cam doesn't find work and would keep himself ready for the call. Not likely but would be ideal.

I think Brown would be a nice fit. Agholor is our only real deep threat. Another guy who can spread the defense for our slot guys, tight ends, and running game. Plus, Mac throws a great deep ball.
I think if we brought in Brown and gave him an equal opportunity with Agholor I think Brown would outproduce him.

hate to say it but he is expendable. wanted him to be the next Edelman. he does get open but is to inconsistent with the ball. JJ can do punt returns.
Instead of Gunner being your Edelman, you got a Myers as your Edelman replacement. As far as Gunners development, give him this season before writing him off. Other than his first season, it took Edelman a bit of time to get on track. I’d like to see Gunner with at least 20 catches in a reserve role this year.

I think if we brought in Brown and gave him an equal opportunity with Agholor I think Brown would outproduce him.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

What's Foles' cap hit if traded? We've still got Gilmore to placate.
Extending Gilmore will reduce his cap hit.

Even if they want to just give him a few million, that contract would be a 2 year contract with a void year, and would still decrease his cap hit.

I typed & sent before I learned that Jennings had been IRed... Would've been nice to have been better-informed of his health status by the Kremlin on the Neponset... If healthy, Jennings has no business whatsoever losing his job to either Langi or especially Brandon the King, who it is abundantly clear is now in near-complete possession of The Photographs... Thanksdad Ferentz might have some old R-rated ones given him by Ryan Wendell...

Didn't like the Jennings pick at #87 then, and I like it even less now... Thought this guy's talent/fit made better sense at #159... And even then I might've taken Utah DE Bradley Anae ahead of him... or a CB like Harrison Hand or Kindle Vildor... or a WR like Donovan P Jones or Tyler Johnson...

If Cam were willing I'd love him on a shadow roster. Hoyer can back up in game but if a longer injury occurs hit that speed dial. This assumes Cam doesn't find work and would keep himself ready for the call. Not likely but would be ideal.
You think that Cam would just come back whenever Bill wants and play for free? Why would he do that?

I'm all for this. I also think Breshad Perriman, Keke Coutee, or Travis Fulgham could help. I think our top 3 receivers are good enough but I'm worried about what happens if one of those guys gets hurt (especially if the tight ends miss games too)

I never understand why this forum spends so much time complaining about past draft picks. They are over and done with/

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them.

I'm a In BB I Trust guy but I do not agree with Hoyer being #2. No way in hell.

I think they have a pretty good team. Need some help at WR and CB but are pretty solid.
I agree with your three areas where we could could certainly use some help.

QB
Hoyer would be one of the worst #2 QB's in the NFL. Folks here seem to put very little value in the backup QB position, essentially looking for someone other teams would consider a #3, someone would play for a couple of million a year. Some coaches understand that QB's are sometimes injured, and that a qualified backup QB is a part of a competitive team. I would think that this is especially true with a rookie quarterback. We should not be ONE injury away from disaster, especially since our team's strengths are elsewhere.

CB
I think that Belichick will look at the cuts, but will likely be fine with carrying a CB or two on the Practice Squad. A lot depends on Gilmore. If Gilmore is not in the future, I could see us trading for a CB before the trade deadline.

WR
Harry may be available in 3 weeks. Belichick will certainly look into all options. In the meantime, Gunner is our #4, a 2021 #4 WR who will likely get few reps given that we have 3 TE's and couple of RB's who are receivers. I don't see the #4 WR as a big need. HOWEVER, I could see a trade for a WR who would compete to be one of our top 3 WR's. Clearly, we will carry a couple of WR's on the Practice Squad.

Belichick is building a great defense, and a fantastic running game with one of the best OLs in the league.

But we have a new stud QB and I can't help but notice the kid is going to war with the kind of receiver crew that the greatest of all time had.

I mean--it is really beyond bizarre. For so many years we said the WR crew is what it is because that's the kind of receiver that Brady can work with, not the other kind of receiver. Our WR skill set was tailored to Brady.

I am really questioning that narrative given what Brady did in 2007 and in Tampa and also looking at what Mac Jones has to work with here.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back