PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2017 UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would your prediction of 3 UDFA's if we drafted players instead trading 5 picks for players?

I find that 3 is a very unlikely number. IMHO, our primary needs on the offensive line will likely be met by bringing in free agents.
Interior OL depth is the second biggest need. LB is a greater need. Agree FA likely source of answers, for both. Not worried about either.

That sucks. He really didn't have a chance here though, but I hate seeing him go there.

It'll be tough to make that team with Marshall, Beckham, Shepard, and Dwayne Harris. They also have a couple of developmental receivers.

He would have a better opportunity to at least make a practice squad here. Amendola could be in his last year here, Edelman is 30, and Hogan is 29. Malcolm Mitchell and Cooks are the only young receivers on the roster.

Last edited:
Ball-hawk

identity_color_72.jpg

There once was a poster named Pat Chick
She couldn't write a Haiku worth a lick.
She's not good at rymes
But she's won the Draft contest 3 or 4 times
Doesn't that just make you sick?

Is that a failed attempt at a Haiku? could of went a lot of different ways with the 5th but decided to keep it clean.
It's not just a limerick
For our Ms. @patchick
With content incredibly clean,
Rhythm systemically mean,
We're left with a purist's desire
To create and inspire
Perfect poetic flotsam
For uncouth NJ Jetsam:
Where for every Blair Thomas,
A Gholston brings more solace.

No wonder Ms. Plum was WCBB player of the year and a helluva 3 point shooter.

Jon Toth C Kentucky still hasn't officially signed with anyone. Big guy, more physical than Andrews. It was a surprise that he went undrafted. Initial report was that he signed with San Francisco but that's not the case, apparently, according to Rapoport. Read one report from the UK sports reporter that the patriots were trying to steal him.

There was a young Pats fan called Username
He'd called one right in the draft game
And those who do know him
Won't be surprised at this poem
Not rhyming because he sucks at poetry

Lol! Why is that? Especially if they offer more at their true position...which I'm sure they do. Bolden will never see touches in the back field again.

Bolden is an elite special-teams player on coverage and return-blocking units. He'd only be bumped off the roster if the Pats have acquired enough other elite special-teamers (plural) and only if they all offered more at their positions.

Read Pyke signed with Bills. Maybe he changed his mind.

I saw a rumor that he had signed there, but then saw that it wasn't confirmed.

Edit: Saw the update from Twitter..

Last edited:
It'll be tough to make that team with Marshall, Beckham, Shepard, and Dwayne Harris. They also have a couple of developmental receivers.

He would have a better opportunity to at least make a practice squad here. Amendola could be in his last year here, Edelman is 30, and Hogan is 29. Malcolm Mitchell and Cooks are the only young receivers on the roster.

Hogan won't be 29 until the end of October. He also has very little mileage on his tires.. So let's not go making him out to be some guy who is about to break down..

Edelman turns 31 next month.

You're overlooking Devin Lucien whom the team drafted last year and re-signed to a futures contract.

Bolden is an elite special-teams player on coverage and return-blocking units. He'd only be bumped off the roster if the Pats have acquired enough other elite special-teamers (plural) and only if they all offered more at their positions.

Disagree. Bolden is gone if they find 1 person to replace him.. It's why he was given a cheap contract.

Hahah, he's a midget, but he has Edelman-esque traits!

Very good you've added the second clip with some analysis.
Body catching is one of his problems, its pretty regular, and Im afraid not that easy to change. Its instincts, habit . hard to get rid of.

He's a very good route runner (despite issues very well highlighted in that analysis clip), elusive, his catches are spectacular and not too far between. But one should never go by the highlight reels.

His blocking is very poor. He rarely engages and is basically non existent. Im not too worried about his strength since they can condition him (but is an issue) my reservations are about his toughness and attitude in non-catching play.

Here look at snaps at -- 2:50, 4:05, 7:47, 8:23, 8:29, 9:00!, 9:09, 9:59:
Austin Carr vs Indiana (2016) | Draft Breakdown

I think Edelman comparisons are wishful thinking. Maybe Dola (resemblance is sometimes uncanny) but he'll have to seriously toughen up, physically and mentally.

And that's ok and that's what they were clearly targeting since it is likely Danny's last year - no extension, just pay cut on last yr contract; thankfully Julian has a few good years in him if the legs hold - and I would expect/hope for extension coming.

Carr has a chance to make PS this year since its only between Lucien, Hollister and him at the moment. They will probably bring a WR or two more for TC Id guess. I wonder if this means they will be bringing DeAndrew White back (who was going off and on the roster on Pats and Wiki sites after they reportedly didn't sign him to futures contract)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes