PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2017 UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicDawg

Patriot of the Week
Reaction score
2017 Patriots Undrafted Free Agent Tracker | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2017 NFL Draft

The Patriots began Thursday’s draft with just 65 players on their current roster and 6 draft picks. NFL off-season rules allow teams to roster up to 90 players in order to facilitate mini-camps, training camps, and off-season programs, this means the Patriots are projected to sign a large and deep UDFA class immediately after the draft. At least 1-2 undrafted players make New England’s roster each year and contribute immediately, making this process another very important roster building tool. Stay tuned to this post to track of all the Patriots signings and breakdowns of those players who will be joining them.

Great tracker of these guys here. Let the shopping begin!

So what's the guesstimate on cap space remaining after picks and UFAs are signed? $12-$13m?

Are you referring to UDFAs? Or Other UFAs like Skuta, Fusco or Mangold who have been rumored to the Patriots?

Only Likely, Killing . from NE contacted CBs left

Are you referring to UDFAs? Or Other UFAs like Skuta, Fusco or Mangold who have been rumored to the Patriots?
I think just draft picks and rookie FAs.

So what's the guesstimate on cap space remaining after picks and UFAs are signed? $12-$13m?

$20m. Only the top 51 salaries apply at this point, and no late round draft pick or UDFA will make the top 51. Any signing bonus proration will count though, but that's marginal for these guys.

I would want gary barnidge and drop one of these other tight ends.

Love this part of the process as the Pats always seem to find key contributors among the UDFAs. Lots of room for them on the 90 this season~~less sure about the 53 but there's always a chance to land on the Practice Squad as well.

@Miguel says Less than $500K will be allocated to the draft. Not sure if it's both picks and UDFAs though. The number is above $20M right now though.

In the offseason only the top 51 contracts count against the cap, so there should only be a minimal change (to account for signing bonuses and guaranteed money).

$20m. Only the top 51 salaries apply at this point, and no late round draft pick or UDFA will make the top 51. Any signing bonus proration will count though, but that's marginal.

Ok. How much unusued cap $ can they carry over? As long as it's within the 89% rule over 4 years?

2013 and 2014 saw over 20 UDFA and tryout players. Seems like we're destined to match those years after only adding 4 players in the draft. I'll copy over my list of players -- minus Odenigbo, now that the Vikings took him. They also took Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen in years when I liked them as mid round options. Maybe they should hire me to scout their DEs. :(

UPDATE: had to remove four of the players since they were drafted in the late 7th.

UDFA players I like:

DB: Marcus Sayles, Jason Thompson, Des Lawrence, Jeremy Cutrer, Xavier Coleman, David Jones

DL: Keionta Davis, Josh Augusta, Patrick Ricard, Fadol Brown, Tashawn Bowers

LB: Harvey Langi, Jojo Mathis, Richie Brown, Chase Allen, James Onwualu, Eric Wilson (binkie alert)

QB: Alek Torgersen, Trevor Knight,

RB: LeShun Daniels, Matt Breida, Dare Ogunbowale

WR: Quincy Abedoyejo, Francis Owusu, Fred Ross, Riley McCarron, KD Cannon

OL: Andrew Wylie, Cameron Tom, Cam Keizur, Max Rich

TE: Cole Hikutini, Jacob Hollister, Keith Towbridge

I'm sure I'll think of more later. This is a good start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back