PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OC Bill O'Brien news, speculation & opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't care much but I rather let BOB go to Penn State than a NFL team, so that way he can share some good prospects and info to BB.

Re: Bill O'Brien is staying with the Patriots

They will not even receive a minor penalty.

What in the world makes you say that MM? I go there and expect a pretty significant penalty, especially considering that even Ohio State received a bowl ban for a year + other self-imposed sanctions (and lost their HC in the process).

In an absolute 'best-case' scenario, Penn St gives themselves a bunch of self-imposed sanctions and the NCAA somehow agrees to it, but your term of "not even a minor penalty" is certainly an interesting look at things.

When you are under the watch of the entire world (unlike OSU's "lying to the NCAA" penalty for trading tattoos for memorabilia) something certainly will have to be done.

Last edited:
What makes Weis look like a better OC? He hasn't exactly led any great offenses recently. Pats O didn't become the strength until after he left. Romeo was the far superior coordinator in NE, the O improved without Weis, and the D declined without Romeo (yes, i know there was also a personnel shift).

Weis installed the offense you see in New England today, and he had the uncanny ability to keep defenses guessing about run v. pass.

The Patriots spread Woodhead wide because they figure they can take a potential pass rusher out of the equation totally, and that makes sense. Why make the RB block a LB when you can just spread him out wide.

BUT, by doing so, the element of surprise is gone for the other 6 or 7 players on the LOS.

What in the world makes you say that MM? I go there and expect a pretty significant penalty, especially considering that even Ohio State received a bowl ban for a year + other self-imposed sanctions (and lost their HC in the process).

In an absolute 'best-case' scenario, Penn St gives themselves a bunch of self-imposed sanctions and the NCAA somehow agrees to it, but your term of "not even a minor penalty" is certainly an interesting look at things.

Because they followed institutional protocol by the book. The only thing they could possibly get penalized for is the two perjury counts. BUT, all the lawyers who analyzed the pretrial testimony from last week say the chances of the perjury charges sticking are a longshot. McQueary fudged what he saw when he reported it to the head of campus police and the AD, and even if he didn't, his own doctor (whom he confided to immediately after the rape) said that he was not clear that there had been a rape, and so the standard for proving perjury is not there. The perjurors need to be convicted of intentionally deceiving law officials and jurors. This won't rise to that standard.

Otherwise, everyone involved fulfilled the institutional protocols. That is, they reported the incident to their superior until it found its way to the head of campus police.

Paterno was fired because everyone said he RUNS Penn State, so the excuse that he reported to his superior is BS. That's why Paterno was raked over the coals. But nonetheless, by the letter of the law, he fulfilled his responsibilities, and this is precisely why even the attorney general praised Paterno for his actions and testimony in the original grand jury presentment.

In other words, PSU sports officials followed the rules and regulations, but they did not go the extra mile and report it directly to police.

In other words, PSU sports officials followed the rules and regulations, but they did not go the extra mile and report it directly to police.

I think this is the most telling statement right here, and the 100% sole reason why the University will be punished in some form.

They failed to report a very serious offense that involved the physical and mental well-being of a student.

PSU police was notified by one of the parents of the alleged victims.

As a current PSU student majoring in Criminal Justice, I bet we could go back and forth all night with this one; but out of respect to the forum and thread, let's just say that I respectfully disagree but certainly hope you're correct.

I'd be surprised if Penn State doesn't get the "death penalty".

The NCAA ultimately decided that the cost of the death penalty was too high.

It's basically an open secret that they will not use the death penalty unless they have absolutely no other option available to them.

The biggest issue is that there isn't any evidence of wrongdoing by the student-athletes who are supposedly the NCAA's biggest concern. If they lower the boom here, I think it would cause more problems than it would solve.

Yeah, I don't see anyone ever getting the death penalty again, and certainly agree with ct.. Those days are gone.

I also don't see Penn St getting too harsh of a penalty, but I do think it would cause quite a stir to totally ignore any sanctions at the same time. It's the biggest sports story of 2011, and unforunately that may be enough reasoning alone to jusitfy some kind of punishment.

Because they followed institutional protocol by the book. The only thing they could possibly get penalized for is the two perjury counts. BUT, all the lawyers who analyzed the pretrial testimony from last week say the chances of the perjury charges sticking are a longshot. McQueary fudged what he saw when he reported it to the head of campus police and the AD, and even if he didn't, his own doctor (whom he confided to immediately after the rape) said that he was not clear that there had been a rape, and so the standard for proving perjury is not there. The perjurors need to be convicted of intentionally deceiving law officials and jurors. This won't rise to that standard.

Otherwise, everyone involved fulfilled the institutional protocols. That is, they reported the incident to their superior until it found its way to the head of campus police.

Paterno was fired because everyone said he RUNS Penn State, so the excuse that he reported to his superior is BS. That's why Paterno was raked over the coals. But nonetheless, by the letter of the law, he fulfilled his responsibilities, and this is precisely why even the attorney general praised Paterno for his actions and testimony in the original grand jury presentment.

Umm, what about continuing to give Sandusky access to the facilities, etc. after that incident and after he had "retired"? Everyone's cool with that? And with bringing teenage boys to bowl games as a VIP?

Umm, what about continuing to give Sandusky access to the facilities, etc. after that incident and after he had "retired"? Everyone's cool with that? And with bringing teenage boys to bowl games as a VIP?

Yes, there's no doubt that Penn State will certainly have to receive some type of punishment and sanctions. They made some mistakes that are, and will forever be viewed as negative decisions in regards to young people's lives.

Beyond football, that is their main focus as a big named school in the NCAA's, and they failed to do that properly. On top of that, there are still a ton of questions about many other issues.

If I were Bill O'Brien, I would have to think a very long time if this were the opportunity that I would currently want. If he waits another yr or two, he can indeed, fulfill his desire to be an NFL head coach.

i don't care much but I rather let BOB go to Penn State than a NFL team, so that way he can share some good prospects and info to BB.

i dont think that program is going to get any good prospects for some time, i cant see any coach wanting that job or any kid wanting to play football there

What, you thought you’d make it through the rest of the day without another twist in Penn State’s search for a head coach?

Bill O’Brien was identified over the weekend as a candidate all but signed, sealed and delivered as Penn State’s next coach, only to have his agent knock down the reports by labeling them as “off-base“. In fact, the agent seemed to hint that his client’s future was at the NFL level.

Three days later, O’Brien’s name is once again connected to a job that’s been vacant for nearly two full months as USA Today is reporting that O’Brien is scheduled to interview with Penn State officials on Thursday. Ron Mussleman of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette subsequently confirmed the report.
Report: O’Brien to interview for Penn State job

McDaniels turned Orton and Cassel into legitimate quarterbacks. Saying he's floundered is unfair, to say the least.

Orton had a 21-12 record as a starting QB with Chicago and a 11-17 record under McDaniels.

Orton had a 21-12 record as a starting QB with Chicago and a 11-17 record under McDaniels.

Yeah when did he turn Cassel into a real QB? and Orton cmon dude big reach with that statement.
Look what he did to poor Sam Braford.

Im fine with BOB leaving and I dont want McDaniels back either, he was worse.

i dont think that program is going to get any good prospects for some time, i cant see any coach wanting that job or any kid wanting to play football there

That was my initial reaction as well. However, look at what college head coaches are paid in comparison to NFL head coaches, including the value of all their perks. Because of the scandal Penn State is likely going to have to pay a premium to whomever they decide to hire. I'll be curious to see the contract details regardless of who takes the job but I'm guessing that it has to be at least $10 million guaranteed, and it will perhaps be closer to $20 million guaranteed. If that turns out to be the case then it would in my opinion be foolish to turn the job down, despite the challenges ahead.

Yeah when did he turn Cassel into a real QB? and Orton cmon dude big reach with that statement.

You mean Sam Bradford who played with a bum ankle all season long? That Sam Bradford?

Kyle Orton had his two best years under McDaniels, and struggled in Denver after he left this year...

Matt Cassel was the Pats QB in 2008 and McDaniels guided him to a great year, how can you not remember that?

And please don't dismiss Orton's improvement's as a QB because of his record in Denver. His overall record is inflated because of his time in Chicago where he was a marginal QB winning games despite his lackluster play because of the great defense/special teams they had. Grossman had that benefit as well in Chicago.

Orton's record in Denver wasn't great because the team around him was pathetic. McDaniels sucks as a talent evaluator and head coach, but he is a great offensive mind.

Do not want to read this whole thing, but are you assuming that BOB was bad???

Guess I missed something.

So, are you saying that McDaniels is responsible for St. Louis having to IR it's top 4 receivers, it's starting OTs and a starting OG? Not to mention Bradford being hobbled all season long by an ankle injury?

Why is it that people can't do a little bit of research before parroting this sort of garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes