PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OC Bill O'Brien news, speculation & opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you think that if you are an offensive coordinator calling plays into Tom Brady in the Super Bowl, a few high school kids might take note? The performance of the team in the post season is his #1 best recruiting tool if he decides to go to college.

Duh, yeah!

I was not talking about that.

Re: Bill O'Brien is staying with the Patriots

As for Casserly talking about GB and the filming, there were others who had talked about it and no one cared.
Casserly was the one who announced it to the world. Bill ignored it at his peril. There's not much else to say but I know Casserly knows more than either you or me about what's going on in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Having coaching staff at least mentally out the door to a college gig with recruiting, etc. does not help in the playoffs

Agreed - why would Bill O'Brien want this gig as his first head coaching position anyway? If I was new to the head coaching game I would not want to walk into that hornet's nest for my first job.

Agreed - why would Bill O'Brien want this gig as his first head coaching position anyway? If I was new to the head coaching game I would not want to walk into that hornet's nest for my first job.

it sucks but it looks like the case..this twat better not cost us a SB..by being worried about his penn st job

Charlie Weis was able to do it. There's no need for this to become an issue.

but weis in my book was a much better OC. It may not be an issue..but i hate when coaches are interviewing ect with other teams while their team is in the playoffs

Because there isn't going to be much expectation right away. Yes, its a huge school, but they have been awful the past 2 seasons despite what their records say.

Plus, recruiting will be at an all time low. There really won't be a lot of "succeed now" pressure.

I can tell you from living only 2 hours away from state campus that every die-hard PSU fan I know has lost all interest in Penn State football recently.

In the off-chance he steers the school onto the right course and doesn't follow the current downward spiral, he'll look like an absolute genius. While on the surface it looks like an awful job, there is a silver lining deep down.

but weis in my book was a much better OC. It may not be an issue..but i hate when coaches are interviewing ect with other teams while their team is in the playoffs

What makes Weis look like a better OC? He hasn't exactly led any great offenses recently. Pats O didn't become the strength until after he left. Romeo was the far superior coordinator in NE, the O improved without Weis, and the D declined without Romeo (yes, i know there was also a personnel shift).

Probably because the money paid by Penn State will be substantially higher than what he is getting from the Pats as OC.

To be completely honest..............am I the only one who doesn't really......care?

didn't most of us want him fired?

couldn't care either way... except TB has a good relationship with him and i don't want this being a distraction in the playoffs

To be completely honest..............am I the only one who doesn't really......care?

didn't most of us want him fired?

I don't care either. While I have nothing against him, I think we'll plug somebody else in and keep chugging. Best of luck to him.

However, this better not become anything even resembling a distraction... that's really the only about this thing that I don't like.

I, for one, don't understand why O'Brien suddenly is considered a hot commodity as head-coaching material.

Probably because the money paid by Penn State will be substantially higher than what he is getting from the Pats as OC.

I'd be surprised if Penn State doesn't get the "death penalty".

I, for one, don't understand why O'Brien suddenly is considered a hot commodity as head-coaching material.

Play caller for an offense that has score 1031 (?) points over the past 2 seasons.

Any play caller for a successful unit a few years in a row will be a hot commodity, very few teams are consistent.

Play caller for an offense that has score 1031 (?) points over the past 2 seasons.

Any play caller for a successful unit a few years in a row will be a hot commodity, very few teams are consistent.

Very few teams have Tom Brady executing the offense. Brady made McDaniels look good too, and he's floundered since leaving New England.

Last edited:
Very few teams have Tom Brady executing the offense. Brady made McDaniels look good too, and he's floundered since leaving New England.

McDaniels turned Orton and Cassel into legitimate quarterbacks. Saying he's floundered is unfair, to say the least.

That doesn't matter. Coaches very often come off of successful teams with very good personnel and head to 5 win teams with little talent and do absolutely nothing.

That doesn't stop it from happening time and time again.

Success is success. NE has had a top ranked offense for a long time and BOB has been a part of it, even though its the players that truly make it possible.

BOB has not yet taken a head coaching job and has not yet done anything, he could "flounder" just as McDaniels did, as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots