PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OC Bill O'Brien news, speculation & opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon my ignorance, but who's EP?

It's the Erhardt-Perkins system, as opposed to the Coryell system.

I will find a link for you and post it with an edit, to help clarify. I could use a refresher myself.

"Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins both worked for the New York Giants and ran a system that is commonly considered “Smash-Mouth Football”. The basic premise and understanding of the system is that teams that are located in the cold North Eastern part of the country will not be able to heavily rely on the passing game due to the weather conditions that may alter the passing attack. This system uses bigger offensive lineman and typically bigger Running Backs who can sustain running between the tackles on a regular basis. The Offensive Tackles and Guards in this system typically “Pull” and “Trap”. What this means is, on a Running play that is designed to run to the right, let’s say in the B Gap or between the Guard and Tackle on the Right Side, the Left Guard will quickly leave his original position and become the lead blocker for the Running Back. This type of Rushing attack usually requires big Offensive Lineman who will be able to handle a large Defensive Tackle head on.

In this offense, terminology is typically spoken in Numbers as opposed to the West Coast offense which is typically spoken in Colors. An example of this would be in a play called “Zero Ride Thirty Six” – Zero would set the formation, Thirty is the Running Back and Six designates what hole along the offensive line that the Back will run through.

The Passing attacks in this offense are mostly vertical and are set up through Play Action Passes. That means that Quarterback will fake as though it’s a running play to draw up the Linebackers and Safeties then throw the ball to on of the Wide Receivers streaking down the field."

http://skinnypost.com/check-the-technique/erhardt-perkins-offensive-system/

Last edited:
Martz def not a fit here, I think time has proven our offense can succeed inspite of our coordinators. What we really need to do is bring in some defensive minds, our D has been "yucky" for years.

I keep seeing all these mike zimmers, greg williams and who we got Patrica cmon,

Martz def not a fit here, I think time has proven our offense can succeed inspite of our coordinators. What we really need to do is bring in some defensive minds, our D has been "yucky" for years.

I keep seeing all these mike zimmers, greg williams and who we got Patrica cmon,

greg williams ? the Saints defense is not better then the pats the Saints have 7 less sacks and 14 less INT's then the pats and the saints have a great running game that keeps there defense off the field and they are still 24th in the NFL in Yards,

mike zimmers im not sure he has even coached in the last 3 years... Wade Phillips is the only DC that i can think of that pretty much were ever he went turned that teams middle of the pack defense into a top 5 defense in a year or two

Then you need to get more informed.

Zimmer is the Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator
2008–present and has done a good job with what they give him to field, wade would also be decent.

Lets put it this way you cannot get worse than what we have.

Here's a much better link as it pertains to the NE Patriots, Captain.

New England Patriots strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks. It seems that what's old is new again...from Fairbanks, Erhardt, Perkins & Bullough of the '73-'78 Pats to Bill, BOB/McD/Charlie & Patricia/Romeo. Although the offense run by Plunkett & Grogan bears little resemblance to that run by Brady, I can see where certain similarities still exist.
I also hope that the signing of Polite means the end of part-time FBs who have no clue about running into the LOS and creating the best avail. gap for his RB to find. I loves me the smash-mouth on distances of < 3 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back