PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OC Bill O'Brien news, speculation & opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's entirely relevant. We're not discussing the whole Sandusky thing. I'm sure all of us agree that Paterno and the whole administrative staff should have been fired. What we're discussing is whether PSU did anything legally wrong or operationally wrong for the NCAA to issue sanctions and therefore kill the career of any coach who takes that job.

That's directly relevant to BOB.

No one here is defending PSU.

Cool. Who said anyone was?

And this thread is off topic whether you want to admit it or not.

LOL Bradford recievers were garbage anyway didnt matter if they got hurt, Mcd was a failure in Denver and a failure in St Louis all he did was inherit Weiss system and tweak it a bit and be a little too full of himself.

Mcd was a failure in Denver and a failure in St Louis all he did was inherit Weiss system and tweak it a bit and be a little too full of himself.

I think that even if you gave Bradford Welker, Branch, Gronk and Hernandez, he would struggle in our version of the spread offense.

And I think that moving McDaniels away from Bradford is best for both parties. Square peg vs. round hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Bradford recievers were garbage anyway didnt matter if they got hurt, Mcd was a failure in Denver and a failure in St Louis all he did was inherit Weiss system and tweak it a bit and be a little too full of himself.

False.

STL has quality WRs.

Bradford was hurt all year and the Rams were destroyed with injuries. McD wasn't really set up to succeed because of those circumstances.

And as for his time in Denver, depends on how you look at it. The guy sucks as a HC, and he sucks at making personnel decisions. But you can't argue the results. He improved Kyle Orton, Brandon Lloyd and make that offense pretty good in Denver.

PS It isn't completely Weiss' system, people need to start understanding that. It's a system BB and Weiss learned under Parcells.

So, O'Brien going to a program about to get the death penalty is off topic? Right!

Whatever you say, chief. There are rumors that BOB is going to interview for the Jac job. Should we now make this thread about Maurice Jones-Drew? Or Blaine Gabbert? I mean it's Jax, and BOB might go there, so it's all relative right?! Give me a break.

Whatever you say, chief. There are rumors that BOB is going to interview for the Jac job. Should we now make this thread about Maurice Jones-Drew? Or Blaine Gabbert? I mean it's Jax, and BOB might go there, so it's all relative right?! Give me a break.

Moving to a program with no football is not a good career move. That's what we're discussing. If Jax was folding, do you think it would be a smart idea to take a job there? Were you applying for a job at Enron or Lehman Brothers after they folded? If you think that this board wouldn't be discussing O'Brien going to Jax while they were about to fold the franchise, then you're out of your mind.

Last edited:
Re: Bill O'Brien is staying with the Patriots

Before you read the following, and dismiss it out of hand, consider that BB must have been in the loop somehow before this interview was planned.

The college recruiting period directly conflicts with the NFL playoffs, especially the closer a team gets to February and the Super Bowl. What do you think are the chances that, as BB was being informed of, or gave permission for BOB to interview, that he has made contact with Josh McDaniels regarding his rejoining the team NOW, ASAP, in case BOB bolts now for Penn State?

Close to zero, unless I heard incorrectly; IIRC, McDaniels is still under contract in St. Louis.

You have your information totally confused.

1. There is no law in Pennsylvania requiring you to report. There is no failure to report. Some states have it, PA doesn't. That's why there is no charge of failure to report by the prosecutor.

2. The kid raped in the showers was not a PSU student. he was 10 years old.

3. The case we are talking about in 2002 did not involve a parent informing PSU of anything. 2002 involved the eyewitness testimony of Mike McQueary who saw Sandusky raping the kid. You are thinking of a 1998-1999 case. In that case, the parent and head of campus police (the same guy who is currently being charged with perjury, his name is Schultz) called the State College police, the Centre County district attorney, and the state children protection services. They conducted a sting operation on Sandusky as police and agents hid in another room as they recorded a confrontation between the parent and Sandusky. Even though the confrontation was incriminating, the state child protection services and the district attorney chose not to proceed.

This is a matter of agreeing or disagreeing between the two of us.

I'm just trying to set the facts straight so at least we know what is being discussed here.

While I agree with you there are likely no legal reprecussions, these matters are still very unethical. The fact that the University did not look out for it's students (whether one was involved in your example or not) by refusing to do what's "right" is going to carry at least some water in determining their fate.

They are not going to walk away unscathed...although I do agree that the punishment will not be anywhere as severe as some think.

The state of public opinion alone, the non-stop news coverage, and the fact that it was THE number one sports story alone in 2011, will not allow everyone to just duck and run in a hole because there are no legal matters at hand.

And if everyone reported everything to their superior as you state, and no one did anything wrong, then why is it that they dismissed one of the most well-respected coaches, almost took down his statue on the campus, and took away any and all memorabilia from the T-shirt shops etc? Paterno was somewhat of a scapegoat, but he did not do everything correctly either. If I recall correctly, he did not even report it to his superior; and that is what really hurt him.

I think the comment by one of the mods (jmt57 I believe) stating that the money could be very good is obviously what this matter will come down to. IF there is guaranteed money like the numbers he speculated on, then it would probably be a no-brainer for any of us.

Then again, BOB wants to be a HC of an NFL team, so that may also come into play--of course.

I still think that if he just waits maybe one more yr, he could get his chance with a better NFL team than JAX.

While I agree with you there are likely no legal reprecussions, these matters are still very unethical. The fact that the University did not look out for it's students (whether one was involved in your example or not) by refusing to do what's "right" is going to carry at least some water in determining their fate.

They are not going to walk away unscathed...although I do agree that the punishment will not be anywhere as severe as some think.

The state of public opinion alone, the non-stop news coverage, and the fact that it was THE number one sports story alone in 2011, will not allow everyone to just duck and run in a hole because there are no legal matters at hand.

And if everyone reported everything to their superior as you state, and no one did anything wrong, then why is it that they dismissed one of the most well-respected coaches, almost took down his statue on the campus, and took away any and all memorabilia from the T-shirt shops etc? Paterno was somewhat of a scapegoat, but he did not do everything correctly either. If I recall correctly, he did not even report it to his superior; and that is what really hurt him.

Three responses:

1. Why do you refer to students? There were no students involved.
2. What will they be punished for? There has t be a broken NCAA rule for them to be punished.
3. Paterno was fired because he was caught up in the media maelstrom surrounding the case. Given what we know now, you might say he was fired for not going above and beyond the call of duty. However, Paterno's testimony hasn't been revealed yet. He has offered no defense as of yet, if such a defense exists.

Three responses:

1. Why do you refer to students? There were no students involved.
2. What will they be punished for? There has t be a broken NCAA rule for them to be punished.
3. Paterno was fired because he was caught up in the media maelstrom surrounding the case. Given what we know now, you might say he was fired for not going above and beyond the call of duty. However, Paterno's testimony hasn't been revealed yet. He has offered no defense as of yet, if such a defense exists.

My quote was the "university did not look out for its students." I believe that is what you're questioning.

By "students" I refer to anyone who may have been an athlete or a "student" on the Penn State campus. NO...the University did not look out for its students by continuing to employ a potential child molester.

On top of that, they allowed him access to the facility long after there were whispers (and accusations in the late 90's)...do you still think they properly looked out for their students?

As PSU students, we received multiple letters from the president of the school ADMITTING their wrongs, explaining how the 'face' of PSU and the football program would make their way back to respectibility within the next several yrs.

They are currently conducting non-stop "tours" (town meetings) in all of the big Pennsylvania cities to try and save face, and to try and regain some of the trust that was lost by the facility, the parents, and the students themselves.

They started a Psychiatric forum and 1-800 number for all of its students to call in. Classes were cancelled on multiple occasions. Mid-terms and projects were pushed back. Riots ensued.

And you are trying to tell me that the NCAA will look the other way, and find them innocent (not in a LEGAL way) on all accounts?? That's ridiculous (at least in my opinion, although I respect yours).

You are bringing up legality in a non-legal situation involving the potential safety of the students who went there, their parents, and anyone involved in this hoorible situation.

---------

In comparing the Ohio State situation....what did the OSU players or head coach Jim Tressel do that was "illegal?" Nothing...what they did was morally unethical, and that's why they were punished.

I'm not talking about the Sandusky trial, etc...maybe he will get off on closer examination (I doubt it). What I'm talking about is responsibility and ethics.

Last edited:
"If the NCAA looks at sanctioning Penn State, it appears it would include looking at NCAA Bylaw 2.4, on "principles of sportsmanship and ethical conduct," which calls for "intercollegiate athletics to promote the character development of participants . . .. These values should be manifest not only in athletics participation but also in the broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program."

-----

Nothing about Illegal activity, only what I have been speaking of...

"principals of sportsmanship and ethical conduct."

Look, I do agree with you that there are not going to be nearly the amount of sanctions brought down as many imagine. What I disagree with you about, is that "they will go unpunished." (paraphrasing you)
------

"Asked if Penn State might be sanctioned for lack of institutional control, Emmert said it was "one of the things we will look at.""

Last edited:

My quote was the "university did not look out for its students." I believe that is what you're questioning.

By "students" I refer to anyone who may have been an athlete or a "student" on the Penn State campus. NO...the University did not look out for its students by continuing to employ a potential child molester.

On top of that, they allowed him access to the facility long after there were whispers (and accusations in the late 90's)...do you still think they properly looked out for their students?

As PSU students, we received multiple letters from the president of the school ADMITTING their wrongs, explaining how the 'face' of PSU and the football program would make their way back to respectibility within the next several yrs.

They are currently conducting non-stop "tours" (town meetings) in all of the big Pennsylvania cities to try and save face, and to try and regain some of the trust that was lost by the facility, the parents, and the students themselves.

They started a Psychiatric forum and 1-800 number for all of its students to call in. Classes were cancelled on multiple occasions. Mid-terms and projects were pushed back. Riots ensued.

And you are trying to tell me that the NCAA will look the other way, and find them innocent (not in a LEGAL way) on all accounts?? That's ridiculous (at least in my opinion, although I respect yours).

You are bringing up legality in a non-legal situation involving the potential safety of the students who went there, their parents, and anyone involved in this hoorible situation.

I still don't understand the students part. He molested kids, not 18-22 year olds. And no, you can't toss someone off your payroll for what happened in 1998. The guy is a tenured employee. What are you going to toss him for? Showering with a kid after police and child protection services thought there was nothing there?

As for the rest, that's just PSU playing the public relations game.

You ask why the NCAA needs a legal penalty? Because the NCAA has rules. Every time in its entire history that it has issued a punishment, it's been for a violation of the rules.

---------

comparing the Ohio State situation....what did the OSU players or head coach Jim Tressel do that was "illegal?" Nothing...what they did was morally unethical, and that's why they were punished.

I'm not talking about the Sandusky trial, etc...maybe he will get off on closer examination (I doubt it). What I'm talking about is responsibility and ethics.

OSU players broke NCAA rules against receiving reimbursements and benefits. Jim Tressel broke the NCAA rules when he was caught covering up the scandal and then lying about it when questioned by the NCAA. In other words, OSU broke the rules.

All I asked was, what NCAA rule did PSU break?

"If the NCAA looks at sanctioning Penn State, it appears it would include looking at NCAA Bylaw 2.4, on "principles of sportsmanship and ethical conduct," which calls for "intercollegiate athletics to promote the character development of participants . . .. These values should be manifest not only in athletics participation but also in the broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program."

-----

Nothing about Illegal activity, only what I have been speaking of...

"principals of sportsmanship and ethical conduct."

Look, I do agree with you that there are not going to be nearly the amount of sanctions brought down as many imagine. What I disagree with you about, is that "they will go unpunished." (paraphrasing you)
------

"Asked if Penn State might be sanctioned for lack of institutional control, Emmert said it was "one of the things we will look at.""

Can you apply that rule here? What did they do against sportsmanship? What did they do that was unethical? And, what was the lack of institutional control.

I'll bet anyone here $100 (I'll send it to the mods) that they will not be sanctioned.

If BOB goes back for a 2nd interview tomorrow with Penn State. He is good as gone, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes