PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal on the block?

Wait, so we suck at drafting running backs now? In 9 games when he was healthy last year Sony averaged 5.7 yards a carry, Harris averaged 5.0 yards a carry. They drafted James White, does he suck? WTF are you talking about? Think before you post.
They aren't terrible, but they aren't exactly setting the league on fire in that category. In fact, the last bell cow back they've drafted was Stevan Ridley which only lasted a year. Michel looked like he was going in that direction, but he gets injured too much. Also, I've posted stuff on Michel from PFF several times showing how his production was overrated and relies heavily on "Grand Canyon" sized holes to be effective. Harris on the other hand, explodes through the first crease he sees. I really like Harris, but his injuries two years in a row are concerning. The good news for both Harris and Michel is that the line is going to be very strong next year and I expect big years from both.

The other backs like White specifically are gimmick backs and needs everyone round him to execute or he's dead to rights. While not drafted, Dion Lewis is a guy I miss as he was electric.

No there's absolutely no excuse when an undrafted Meyers can be on pace for 1200 yards if he started all year even with a bad QB. Let's stop making excuses for Harry. He's a bust and our WR scouting system is broken. Don't even draft WR anymore until it's looked at and fixed. We can develop Edelman and Meyers types because it's outside our sh-t draft system for WRs.
Meyers never caught the first TD.

Last season was Harrys rookie season and he had Cam. In 2019 Harry started only 5 games after missing half the season.

Id gibe him 1 last season with a QB that cam pass the ball.

They aren't terrible, but they aren't exactly setting the league on fire in that category. In fact, the last bell cow back they've drafted was Stevan Ridley which only lasted a year. Michel looked like he was going in that direction, but he gets injured too much. Also, I've posted stuff on Michel from PFF several times showing how his production was overrated and relies heavily on "Grand Canyon" sized holes to be effective. Harris on the other hand, explodes through the first crease he sees. I really like Harris, but his injuries two years in a row are concerning. The good news for both Harris and Michel is that the line is going to be very strong next year and I expect big years from both.

The other backs like White specifically are gimmick backs and needs everyone round him to execute or he's dead to rights. While not drafted, Dion Lewis is a guy I miss as he was electric.
I really think Harris is going to be a star in this league IF he can stay healthy. Might turn out to be the best we've had in years. Blount was good only if the matchup was right, invisible if it wasn't. Ridley was good but I never really saw the high ceiling with him like I do with Harris. Also didn't like that he seemed to be fumble prone.

Agreed about Michel although I liked how he finished the season. I also expect big years from both if they stay away from injuries.

Last edited:
Hell, I’d get rid of him for a 7th. This kid is going to be out of the league in two years tops. No WR drafted in the BB era that flopped here has ever gone on to success in the NFL. Harry won’t be the first to do it either. On top of the lack of speed, separation, agility in and out of his cuts, precise route-running, dedication, or anything else remotely resembling an NFL-caliber wideout, he just appears to not even care on the field. Remember Cam begging for him to cut upfield past the first down marker (and this was on 3rd down too) and he just stood there like he saw a UFO fly over Gillette that had an in-her-prime Pam Anderson with her tits hanging out the window? If they can’t trade him, I highly doubt he makes it onto the opening day roster. The good news is if they’re looking to move him, they have big plans at the position. Lots of cap space and the draft is exceptionally deep there.

I really think Harris is going to be a star in this league IF he can stay healthy. Might turn out to be the best we've had in years. Blount was good only if the matchup was right, invisible if it wasn't. Ridley was good but I never really saw the high ceiling with him like I do with Harris. Also didn't like that he seemed to be fumble prone.

Agreed about Michel although I liked how he finished the season. I also expect big years from both if they stay away from injuries.
I was a big fan of Ridley and he gave the offense a much needed boost in the ground game rushing for 1,200 yards and 12 TD's from the JAG that was BJGE. Unfortunately, he fumbled at the absolute worst times and I've never seen such bad luck from a player which I think it messed him up mentally aside from getting knocked out by Pollard in the AFCCG. The nail in the coffin for him was the opener at Buffalo fumbling again.

this is a complete Patriots driven media smoke screen

Opposing GM's are smart to target Harry. He really does appear to be very close to becoming a good #2 receiver. Does he ever make it? Who knows but even a good #2 receiver has value.

I am not a Cam hater. I wouldn't mind him back on a cheap deal.

But unlike Harry's abbreviated rookie year where he just didn't get much separation, he did appear to get more separation at times this year. Now maybe that mostly only occurred because defenses prioritized other receivers first and/or Cam's running ability made it a little easier for him to get open but Harry was open noticeably more his 2nd year than his injury shortened first season. It showed in his bad numbers getting a little bit better but on some of Cam's worst throws/non throws of the year, Harry really was wide open. Even announcers would say it.

Depends on the position. You named 2 Olinemen and we had Scar one of the best Oline coaches helping on evaluations. We suck at drafting WR and RB and our offensive coordinator thought Tim Tebow was a 1st rounder. We also have a broken CB scouting system. Anyone we draft at WR and CB is immediately suspect unless they're an undrafted free agent. The only positions I trust our staff knows what they're doing on a high draft pick are DE, DT, LB, Safety, and OLine. Ignore all these other positions because the Patriots are terrible at evaluating other positions.
You trust them at DL despite drafting Easley, Brown (mediocre at best), Hill, Brace? That’s 4 of the biggest whiffs they’ve had in the top 2 rounds. 3 of those guys contributed absolutely nothing. They nailed it with Seymour, Wilfork, Warren. Since then, their DL draft picks have been suspect at best and it’s a big reason they’ve had to rely on veteran stop gaps. Grabbing Flowers in the 4th was a coup but he’s basically the only useful mid/late round DL they’ve found since Jarvis Green almost 2 decades ago.

you also trust them in high picks with safety? Tavon Wilson and Jordan Richards in the 2nd round? Meriweather didn’t last his entire rookie contract. Hell, I can’t think of a good safety they’ve drafted early. Dugger looks like maybe he will be the first.

Opposing GM's are smart to target Harry. He really does appear to be very close to becoming a good #2 receiver.
giphy.gif

I think there’s a chance someone on the Pats side leaked this to let people know they’re willing to entertain offers. And if that is the case I think there is a solid chance they think he may not make the team.
Little Steven?

I truly think we put this rumor out there since he hasn't done anything noteworthy. 5th round or higher should get a trade done. I know he could get better but literally every receiver we put on the field showed better than he did. Even Zubar and Moncrief looked better.

Meyers never caught the first TD.

Last season was Harrys rookie season and he had Cam. In 2019 Harry started only 5 games after missing half the season.

Id gibe him 1 last season with a QB that cam pass the ball.

Whether it was Brady throwing or Cam, neither QB wanted to throw it to Harry. That's on Harry.

I put Gronk ahead of Edelman by a mile and both he and Seymour are 1a and 1b as the most important picks by Bill. Without Gronk, Pats aren't in position to win 3 Super Bowls. In fact, a healthy Gronk was most likely the difference in 2011 and 2012 so that's just two more possible Super Bowl opportunities right there.
Chandler Jones was a little bit of a project coming out. All arm & legs, little pass rush plan or variety of moves. He was a basketball player his first year. Basically using hesi moves every other rush. He's turned into one of the best pass rushers in the game and players at his position. A few more years of solid production and he'll be in the HOF convo in 8-10 years.

Not sure if Hightower was brought up but he's in the convo. His size & skill set are just different. There's not many of his types around. Not to mention his impact in big games.

Gronk is probably #1 excluding Brady. He was the best offensive player in the game multiple years excluding QB's. Top 10-12 some years including QB's. Calvin Johnson all-around impact. Arguably the goat at his position. Tough argue against him.

Harry’s $1.7 million salary is guaranteed, so I’m sure the Pats would love to have someone trade for it.

I hate how this fanbase dumps on players always assuming their failure is because of a character flaw of the player. “They suck” “They didn’t want it bad enough “. Sometimes, that’s true, but in many cases such as Harry the problem is the guy just can’t play and it’s not his fault he was set up to fail.

I’m no expert on anything. But, after watching 5 minutes of video of Harry and 5 minutes of Jakobi Meyers, it was obvious that Meyers was the better player. Harry is as stiff of an athlete I’ve seen drafted that high in a long time totaling lacking the body control to move in and out of cuts so he doesn’t play to his speed or adjusting to the ball in the air so he doesn’t play to his size.

He and Easley are, maybe, the worse misses I’ve seen from a Patriots 1st rounder in all the years I’ve followed the team.

He seems like a good kid. Hope he’s saved his money and has a great and useful like.
Yup, saw him first day of training camp and you could see the difference and I posted it here and got jumped on.

Yup, saw him first day of training camp and you could see the difference and I posted it here and got jumped on.
yeah...didn't you know we're cannibals? we eat our own if you don't hate the annointed hate pinata player of the year.

Approximately 2 decade Patriots fan narrative:

"One of the great things about Tom Brady is that he makes his wide receivers better than they really are."

2019-2020 Patriots fan narrative in defense of N'Keal Harry:

"HOW CAN HARRY BE EXPECTED TO BE GOOD, OR GET BETTER, WHEN HE'S GOT TOM BRADY THROWING TO HIM?"

Reality as seen in 2020, including during the playoffs:
Scotty Miller (2nd year WR4) and Tyler Johnson (1st year WR5) were being targeted, and making big catches, at big moments during the Bucs season.
They were up there with the Stidham cultists lol

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back