PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

N'Keal Harry (lack of) Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
AJ Brown was a beast down the stretch for the Titans today. Again, hard to see how anyone thought Harry was better than him.

Another MIA performance from Harry, unless you count the penalties.

Next half will be his breakout half.

Harry had 5 catches, he had two thrown at his feet, one out of reach in the second half with acres of real estate in front of him... it could have been a breakout half.

Byrd meanwhile had 6 catches 132 yards and a TD... last week he had "no talent" and Jakobi Meyers was the reason Cam was successful.

Odd... Cam plays well and his weapons play well, he plays poorly and his weapons play poorly. Cam has made incremental improvements, by season's end he should be humming right along, just in time to ruin their draft position. I wonder whose talent will magically appear next week, Harry's maybe.

Force-feeding NKeal Harry 8 targets for only 5 catches (62% catch rate) and only 8 yards a catch, and downplaying Jacobi Meyers who once again caught every pass thrown his way but only 3 targets for 13 yards a catch, should be reason enough to get a new offensive coordinator. Jacobi Meyers should be the #1 WR in the game plan but the OC is being totally moronic with who he's trying to get the ball to.

On the replay of that first penalty today, where the announcers were saying "he started blocking a little early", you can see the ball in go by in the bottom of the screen and then Burkhead start running into the frame when Harry first starts to engage his defender. That was a terrible call and not a bad play by Harry.

On the replay of that first penalty today, where the announcers were saying "he started blocking a little early", you can see the ball in go by in the bottom of the screen and then Burkhead start running into the frame when Harry first starts to engage his defender. That was a terrible call and not a bad play by Harry.
Agreed but the stats are what they say they are.

Force-feeding NKeal Harry 8 targets for only 5 catches (62% catch rate) and only 8 yards a catch, and downplaying Jacobi Meyers who once again caught every pass thrown his way but only 3 targets for 13 yards a catch, should be reason enough to get a new offensive coordinator. Jacobi Meyers should be the #1 WR in the game plan but the OC is being totally moronic with who he's trying to get the ball to.

Texans doubled Meyers. It was up to the others to pick up the slack as Meyers is not a #1 WR able to beat the coverage.

Texans doubled Meyers. It was up to the others to pick up the slack as Meyers is not a #1 WR able to beat the coverage.

I'll have to check the tape. It wasn't clear to me Meyers was doubled all game. What was clear was the same horsesh-t of McD clearly force feeding playcalls to NKeal Harry with 8 targets It's bizarre how we keep trying to make the entire offense worse by force feeding someone who is barely a NFL receiver. Cam's binkie on blitzes is Meyers who only had 3 targets

Last edited:
They didn't force feed Harry, Meyers wasn't doubled, and Cam actually did a decent job spreading the ball around. He failed to recognize blitz pickups and short hopped a bunch of passes, which has become common place for him. Harry had two balls thrown at his toes and one wide of him, he should have had 8 catches instead of 5. Byrd also had to try and scoop a ball off the turf which they lost on the Texan's challenge.

Cam is making incremental improvements, seeing the field a little better, using consistently better mechanics in the pocket, spreading the ball around, taking the check down... I've pivoted from him being out of the league by next season, to he would make a good bridge guy for a rookie if he continues to play at this level. Our version of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He's not great, but it's what I thought he could be before the season began. Matt Cassel with better running, a game manager with legs. The WR's are getting a chance to make plays at least, a vast improvement from earlier in the year. It is a developmental season, a bridge year. Enjoy the process.

Harry had 5 catches, he had two thrown at his feet, one out of reach in the second half with acres of real estate in front of him... it could have been a breakout half.

Byrd meanwhile had 6 catches 132 yards and a TD... last week he had "no talent" and Jakobi Meyers was the reason Cam was successful.

Odd... Cam plays well and his weapons play well, he plays poorly and his weapons play poorly. Cam has made incremental improvements, by season's end he should be humming right along, just in time to ruin their draft position. I wonder whose talent will magically appear next week, Harry's maybe.
The only two times the WRs have shown up this season, Matt, have been against two of the worst defenses in the league. Cam’s best two games through the air have also happened to come against those two defenses. Byrd had a career high. Shall I rattle off names of all the no-name WRs in NFL history who have had similar games. He’s still a WR3 ideally. But at least Harry did something this week with 5 catches, mostly against off zone. There’s a reason they had him motioning everywhere from the X to the offensive backfield - he’s DOA against a jam. So credit to McDaniels for trying to get him a free release and knowing his limitations and weaknesses.

But yeah, this team is so loaded with talent and it’s all the QB. That must be why they’re two games under .500. It’s all the QB’s fault. Or does the “it’s a team game” excuse only work when you’re trying to defend the WRs and not when you’re denigrating the QB play? I’m confused. That seems like it’s an awfully logically inconsistent line of reasoning.

AJ Brown was a beast down the stretch for the Titans today. Again, hard to see how anyone thought Harry was better than him.

Another MIA performance from Harry, unless you count the penalties.
Agreed.

Doesn't excuse the Harry pick, but it is also hard to see how anyone thought Inglewood Brown was better than AJ. And he went even higher than Harry in the draft. We are not the only NFL team that struggles to draft quality NFL receivers.

The only two times the WRs have shown up this season, Matt, have been against two of the worst defenses in the league. Cam’s best two games through the air have also happened to come against those two defenses. Byrd had a career high. Shall I rattle off names of all the no-name WRs in NFL history who have had similar games. He’s still a WR3 ideally. But at least Harry did something this week with 5 catches, mostly against off zone. There’s a reason they had him motioning everywhere from the X to the offensive backfield - he’s DOA against a jam. So credit to McDaniels for trying to get him a free release and knowing his limitations and weaknesses.

But yeah, this team is so loaded with talent and it’s all the QB. That must be why they’re two games under .500. It’s all the QB’s fault. Or does the “it’s a team game” excuse only work when you’re trying to defend the WRs and not when you’re denigrating the QB play? I’m confused. That seems like it’s an awfully logically inconsistent line of reasoning.
No the DL play this game was pretty terrible also, zero pressure or push upfront. I thought Cam passed better the last three weeks than he has all year regardless of opponent. His balls are hitting receivers in stride for once and giving them a chance to make a football move. Unfortunately his ability to recognize the blitz is still horrid. With a great QB this offense would be a team strength... it is what it is. Draft that guy next offseason.

No the DL play this game was pretty terrible also, zero pressure or push upfront. I thought Cam passed better the last three weeks than he has all year regardless of opponent. His balls are hitting receivers in stride for once and giving them a chance to make a football move. Unfortunately his ability to recognize the blitz is still horrid. With a great QB this offense would be a team strength... it is what it is. Draft that guy next offseason.
They couldn’t blitz. When they did, Watson spit roasted them. That’s a big part of the reason their TEs were killing us in the first half. Cam’s biggest issue isn’t being able to hit the receiver in stride or recognize the blitz. It’s his staring down of his targets and getting balls batted leading to dead downs. When the balls aren’t batted, he’s throwing into extremely tight windows downfield.

They couldn’t blitz. When they did, Watson spit roasted them. That’s a big part of the reason their TEs were killing us in the first half. Cam’s biggest issue isn’t being able to hit the receiver in stride or recognize the blitz. It’s his staring down of his targets and getting balls batted leading to dead downs. When the balls aren’t batted, he’s throwing into extremely tight windows downfield.
Patriots WR's were open, Cam was hitting them. He completed 26 passes; 6 to Byrd, 6 to White, 5 to Harry, 3 to Meyers... He threw a great over the shoulder ball to Byrd. Harry was wide open twice and the ball bounced off the turf. Cam has a great arm, he makes a great play now and again... methodically and consistently matriculating the ball downfield, consistently using proper mechanics and stopping into his throws has been his issue.

In this game his inability to recognize the blitz also hurt them. But the defense wasn't particularly good, especially the defensive front. The Pats were often sending 4 men, they got zero pressure despite their O-Line being a mess. The Pat's DT's are terrible. Fans here moan about no talent... they should focus on the DT's instead of complaining about the WR's.

Patriots WR's were open, Cam was hitting them. He completed 26 passes; 6 to Byrd, 6 to White, 5 to Harry, 3 to Meyers... He threw a great over the shoulder ball to Byrd. Harry was wide open twice and the ball bounced off the turf. Cam has a great arm, he makes a great play now and again...

They were open because they were facing an absolutely terrible defense playing a ton of off zone. And White is not a WR.

methodically and consistently matriculating the ball downfield, consistently using proper mechanics and stopping into his throws has been his issue.

I won’t disagree there. His mechanics leave a lot to be desired. Those balls he skipped were due to him not fully stepping into his throws. We used to have a guy with perfect mechanics. And if the WRs are as talented as you’re claiming they are, then I’m baffled why we let him go. Surely the supposed GOAT HC could have had a come to Jesus moment with him, right?

In this game his inability to recognize the blitz also hurt them. But the defense wasn't particularly good, especially the defensive front. The Pats were often sending 4 men, they got zero pressure despite their O-Line being a mess. The Pat's DT's are terrible. Fans here moan about no talent... they should focus on the DT's instead of complaining about the WR's.

I have DT as the second biggest need after QB. We need a toilet clogging 0-tech NT badly and we’ve needed it for a few years now. Shelton, who I recall you being absolutely pumped about, was not that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes