PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Week One Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Week 1 other NFL games

Do you think he plays Pittsburgh's D better than Brady does?

Brady is one of the best, if not the best, at destroying the zone blitz, that is, until Lebeau threw that out the window prior to last year's game and had Pittsburgh play man to man the whole game.

Peyton's arm may not be what it one was, but it's fair to say the Broncos aren't pining for Tim Tebow this evening.

The best teams I saw so far this week were 49ers/Redskins/Jets/Pats/Cowboys and Texans. Lets see what tomorrow brings...

Yeah but how is he able to avoid him? Because he's able to predict his every move. Troy isn't fooling him. I'd say that's owning him. But it's cool :p

Because he's able to read where TP is lining up, and running the no huddle forces TP to move earlier in the 24 second clock. Without Harrison and Clark, the Steelers defense is much more limited and obvious. I get what you're saying about TP, but I think you're looking at the wrong person getting owned.

Manning was owning LeBeau, because he was able to play off of TP's actions and LeBeau didn't adjust. What I'd like to know is whether that failure to adjust was 100% because LeBeau didn't think he had the personnel to do so.

Last edited:
Brady is one of the best, if not the best, at destroying the zone blitz, that is, until Lebeau threw that out the window prior to last year's game and had Pittsburgh play man to man the whole game.

Gotta think that the pats works be prepared for that next time

Real happy Broncos fan here after that one.

What a difference a QB makes...we went from worrying anytime the ball was thrown to being confident in any throw our QB makes.

Before you go and rip apart Pittsburgh; bear in mind that Clark AND Harrison were out. Harrison being out definitely effected their ability to get good, consistent pressure on Manning which left him with too much time to find an open guy. I wouldn't fault Pittsburgh's D in general for so many open targets as much as their ability (or lack thereof) to get pressure benefited Manning in finding the open guy. There's usually open players on most plays in the NFL, it's just a matter of whether or not the QB has the time or ability to find them. I expect Pittsburgh's D is much better when those two return.

Peyton definitely had some wobbly throws, but by and large his throws were fine. Very few inaccurate passes (I counted less than 5), and there's probably still some rust that has to come off from not having played in a real game in over 600 days.

You're going to catch us in the midst of a real tough stretch of opponents; Pittsburgh was knocked off this week...on the road against Atlanta in week 2, home against Houston in week 3 and home against Oakland in week 4.

I've watched a lot of football and all bias aside, I definitely think this team is going to be real tough if healthy down the stretch and in the playoffs. The AFC is going to be real top-heavy this season in my opinion. The Pats, Broncos, Texans, Ravens and Steelers are going to be real tough to beat. A few other teams will have good weeks and bad weeks, and then a lot of teams are going to suck.

See you in Week 5!

I just read this entire thread.

Peyton really was picking apart PIT with his brain. But DEN has serious faults that the ancient Steelers were not able to expose.

The best teams I saw so far this week were 49ers/Redskins/Jets/Pats/Cowboys and Texans. Lets see what tomorrow brings...
The LOLphins won't be much of a challenge this year. As for the Jets, the Bungalow Bills just may be frauds this year.

I watched the Patriots v Titans, the Packers v 49'ers, and the Steelers v Broncos.

Time to go all in against the Packers.

The 49'ers, a legitimate Superbowl contender, completely manhandled them in their own house. The Packers received two gift wrapped touchdowns from bad officiating and still weren't that threatening. The Packers just got completely dominated today.

The facts: The Packers are not a legitimate Superbowl contender. I thought they would go down in flames last season. I know they will this one.

Their defense is pathetic and their offense, while potent against mediocre teams, isn't all that dynamic. Their a one trick pony and they will be stopped and when they are it won't be all that glorious. They'll just get shut down rather unceremoniously and their season will be over and delusional Packer fans that buy too much into the hype will be left wondering what the #^@% just happened.

The Packers are all hype and big plays against bad teams. Chicago will take that division and the Packer bangwagon in the world of sports journalism will start to cool probably by week #3. I won't be surprised to see them 0-2 after next week.

The 49'ers, on the other hand, are freaking LEGIT. Damn.

New England Patriots V San Fransisco 49'ers in the Superbowl. Book it.

$*#& the Packers! I'll never forgive them for trying to go undefeated last year! They're the Patriot imposters of the NFC.

Call me crazy but I felt bad for Pittsburgh tonight. I was rooting for them just because I can't stand Manning when he's on the field but I actually felt bad for them. I know I shouldn't. Steelers fans are probably the most obnoxious of all our rival fans... I guess over the last decade i've developed a bit of respect for their organization and they kind of strike me as a wounded lion right now that's getting picked at by lesser teams. I probably just hate them less right now because we don't play them this year.

Oh, yeah, and Jets fans think they're hot stuff right now. Looking forward to bursting their balloon.

Teams I don't want New England to face in the AFCCG:

1. Texans
2. Broncos

Everyone else is a victory, including the Ravens and Steelers.

1. Texans
2. Broncos

Everyone else is a victory, including the Ravens and Steelers.

Peyton, even running more on brain than arm, gives any team a chance. But IMO the Texans and Patriots are far and away the most complete teams in the conference, with the Ravens trailing in 3rd.

I just read this entire thread.

Peyton really was picking apart PIT with his brain. But DEN has serious faults that the ancient Steelers were not able to expose.

Manning can cover up a lot of deficiencies. If anything, john fox played very conservative first 2-3 series until peyton probably said "lets do it my way with the no huddle shall we?" .From then on they looked very good.

I thought SF would take a step back this year but based on going into GB and beating the Packers worse than the score would say I'll have to admit I was wrong. Only one game but they look legit.

GB now has to play Chicago on Thursday. That's a rough turnaround after a loss. If the Bear can beat them that's a big early hole for a team that better than 50% of the prognosticators have winning the Super Bowl.

The Jets were apparently pretty pissed off at all the circus references and Bart Scott, surprise, shot his mouth off about it. But they beat a team they've owned stretching the win streak to 6 games where 5 have been blowouts. Your offense looked decent. How you get Pitt, SF and Houston 3 of the next 4 weeks. Good luck with that.

Houston might clinch by week 10 given how bad the Jags, Titans and Colts project.

NO continues it's woes outside and especially on grass.

Kudos to Atlanta for going outside and winning a road game in a really tough stadium. Granted it was 66 with no wind so we'll check back in.

Glad Peyton played well. Cannot wait for that game.

Go Bengals and Go Chargers. Cannot stand the Ravens or Raiders.

NO continues it's woes outside and especially on grass.

The Saints were at HOME vs. the Redskins, which can't have them feeling great right now (and makes RG3's performance even more impressive)

Last edited:

Manning can cover up a lot of deficiencies. If anything, john fox played very conservative first 2-3 series until peyton probably said "lets do it my way with the no huddle shall we?" .From then on they looked very good.

Fox also blew it on two winnable challenges. The first one when Peyton quick snapped to catch the D with 12 men on the field. Fox will have to cede some authority to Manning if this marriage is to work to Denver's best advantage. Manning is running their offense with their terminology. They need to trust his instincts. Not to the extent Dungy did, but to some extent.

1. Texans
2. Broncos

We are likely to face one, if not both in the playoffs. I still have Ravens as the 2nd biggest threat after Houston but we'll see tonight. Manning looks great but that Broncos D looks very suspect.

Pittsburgh looks old and injured. I gave them a pass last season because they truly were depleted, but maybe there's a reason they are depleted. This and upcoming seasons will be the true test of how good Tomlin is, as he inherited a very good core from Cowher and a QB who's just outside the elite category. Let's see how the Steelers are able to rebuild that core, although Tomlin has an advantage with Ben being as good as he is.

I'm interested to see the Bears/Packers on Thursday. The thought there is a legit chance the Packers can go 0-2 makes it must see tv. Especially for a team who actually think they are better than they really are. They look like the exact same team that lost to the Giants. It reminds me of the problem the Pats had in 2010 when Brady camouflaged a lot of problems on defense that got exposed when teams had the athletes to match up with Welker/Hernandez/Gronk. Until they get somewhat of a running game and better defensive personnel, you will see games like yesterday against good teams.

The Broncos are going to have to show me something on defense to call them a threat to the Patriots. I've decided they are a bad match up for the Steelers, hence the results in the playoffs and yesterday.

The Saints are in trouble. No doubt.

SF definitely opened my eyes... They have better players than GB. No doubt! However, I am not going to say they are the best team in the NFL just yet.

The Packers are overrated. They might be the darling of the sports journalists right now but we here in New England know how useless that is. It certainly doesn't win football games. Remember when they were declaring Sanchez an elite quarterback after 2010? Or that the Patriots had no chance last year after the regular season loss to the Giants? The fact is, I trust my eyes over a bunch of hacks from New York media, and my eyes say, and have said since last season, that Green Bay is OVER RATED.

While they have a lot of weapons, I don't think that means they have a very dynamic offense. Strong teams defensively know what they have to do and as we've seen in the Packers last TWO home games, they can do it.

I expect the ESPN talking heads to sour on and turn on Aaron Rodgers and the Pack like rabid animals if they lose to the Bears which is a very real possibility. There's nothing those jokers hate more than their NFL darlings coming up short of their own irrational expectations.

Packers are a non-factor for the Superbowl this season and only a regular season stat padder against bad teams.

Brady > Rodgers.

Fox also blew it on two winnable challenges. The first one when Peyton quick snapped to catch the D with 12 men on the field. Fox will have to cede some authority to Manning if this marriage is to work to Denver's best advantage. Manning is running their offense with their terminology. They need to trust his instincts. Not to the extent Dungy did, but to some extent.

You know, I heard that play on the radio driving home last night. Sounded like Manning was pretty emphatic in urging the challenge. Couldn't help thinking that, with the Colts, Dungy and Caldwell would have thrown the challenge immediately. Also couldn't help wondering what was going through Fox's mind as to how much stock to put into one player's assessment of things. It will be interesting to watch that relationship develop. (I do think Manning and Fox are both pretty professional,but at the same time there's some territorial lines to be established).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST