PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL sends Raiders letter regarding tampering accusation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via ESPN "The punishment could range from a substantial fine -- $250,000 or more -- to docking the Raiders one or more draft picks, or both, NFL sources told ESPN."

I post this (the only real new info in their brief article) so others need not commit the sin of giving ESPN a click. Lord forgive me.

Via ESPN "The punishment could range from a substantial fine -- $250,000 or more -- to docking the Raiders one or more draft picks, or both, NFL sources told ESPN."

I post this (the only real new info in their brief article) so others need not commit the sin of giving ESPN a click. Lord forgive me.
Thanks - I feel the same way about espn, if we can limit stories to one collective click between all of us, I'm happy.

I can definitely see a fine, but I'd be fairly surprised if Sheriff Goodell takes away a draft pick. Ironically, that may piss Al Davis off even more than losing a draft pick would; he's notoriously cheap with his money in regards to how he pays his staff - despite the way he throws money around on free agents.

Thanks - I feel the same way about espn, if we can limit stories to one collective click between all of us, I'm happy.

I can definitely see a fine, but I'd be fairly surprised if Sheriff Goodell takes away a draft pick. Ironically, that may piss Al Davis off even more than losing a draft pick would; he's notoriously cheap with his money in regards to how he pays his staff - despite the way he throws money around on free agents.

In a perfect-for-the-Pats world, Goodell would force them to cough up their fourth in 2009 back to the Pats. :)

In a perfect-for-the-Pats world, Goodell would force them to cough up their fourth in 2009 back to the Pats. :)

Obviously these picks don't go to other teams.

It's was earlier posited that a fine is far more likely than a draft pick penalty, should any penalty be assessed, because there is no on-field advantage from accusing another team of tampering. There was an on-field advantage to taping opponents signals, so an on-field penalty (draft pick) was assessed.

Good to hear Davis's dementia may not go unpunished.

I sadly go to the ESPN site for baseball scores (I just like the format) and was reminded of how much I hate their football reporting by seeing a link on the main page summarizing an Easterbrook article praising the Giants as the best team in football (which I have no problem reading as the point is arguable) but including a dig like "despite those believing their team is the best (sorry, Pats fans)." I still like Bill Simmons, but the overall football reporting blows.

If the Pats pull off the miracle and win the championship this year, ever wonder what the ESPN reporters would use to criticize the accomplishment? No Spygate, no drug abuse, no criminal conduct, no reliance on one of the best QBs in the game to carry the effort. Would ESPN just go off the air until next season?

Last edited:
From Schefter's blog, this is what Lombardi said:
NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Former Raiders exec Lombardi refutes Davis’ claim

Former Raiders exec Lombardi refutes Davis’ claim

Posted: October 9th, 2008 | Adam Schefter

On Wednesday night’s Inside the NFL, former Oakland Raiders executive Michael Lombardi responded to the tampering allegations brought against the team by the New England Patriots.

At the time of the deal, Lombardi worked for the Raiders. Last week, Raiders owner Al Davis accused Lombardi of giving Bill Belichick inside info.

CRIS COLLINSWORTH: Did the tampering take place?

MICHAEL LOMBARDI: Absolutely not. After that press conference Al Davis threw everyone under the bus, Bob Kraft, Bill Belichick and myself, saying that I told Bill Belichick that Randy Moss could still run. Well, we were trying to trade Randy Moss to the New England Patriots. I thought that was good information to give Bill Belichick. But now he’s (Davis) accused all of us of making those charges and now he is going to have to face them.

COLILINSWORTH: Did you help Belichick to the determent of the Raiders?

LOMBARDI: Without a doubt, I did not. I was trying to do the best thing for the Raiders, always have … In this situation Bill Belichick is not going to always rely on my opinion for information he is going to look at what he sees on the tape.

COLLINSWORTH: If they are frivolous claims, is there something the league can do to the Raiders?

LOMBARDI: The Raiders received a letter form the league office this week saying, look, do you have anything to claim about the tampering charges, because it’s been 18 months? Do you have something to say, because if you don’t you are in violation of the club integrity rule. … They want to balance the integrity of the game, but they don’t want other clubs throwing mud against each other. That’s the point here. The Raiders have 18 months to make this charge and all of a sudden after this press conference, Al Davis does make the charge. I think it has more to do with (Randy Moss’) 23 touchdowns than it does with actual tampering.

and here is PFT again trying to smear NFP.
these blog wars hilarious and downright stupid. florio is feeling threatened now that he has competition...
ProFootballTalk.com - MORT CONFIRMS THE LEAGUE OFFICE HAS NOT THREATENED THE RAIDERS WITH SANCTIONS

Absolutely right he feels threatened, as well they should NFP has more insiders and more talent and imho is a much better site. I tried to post a comment @ PFT w/my above comment on what Lombardi actually said along with some commentary and it was blocked.

Florio is a dunce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey