PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

Aside from Andrews, his supporting cast isn't good. The WRs are a total joke. They're probably going to lose @CLE without him.

Regarding this Lamar debate, it almost doesn't matter what he does in the regular season because when he was the best player in the league for a season, it got totally dismissed because of the playoff loss to the Titans. So the fall back for his detractors is "he hasn't done anything in the postseason." Even though he's still only 25. That's why we're sort of in a wait and see standstill. He'll have a steep uphill climb in this postseason so we'll see how he responds.
Rashod Bateman, Devin Duvernay, Desean Jackson are all good receivers. They miss Bateman less because he’s “good” and more because he’s 6’2,” and Lamar needs big targets because he’s not accurate. Proof positive is his leading WR now has been Demarcus Robinson, his only other big WR.

What changed from his MVP season to every season after, is opponents have film on him. They know who he is and what his limitations are.

And it’s not just what he does in the playoffs. It’s what he does against athletic playoff caliber defenses, even in the regular season.

Defenses that can hem him in, force him to beat them from the pocket and have decent defensive backfields absolutely own him. This is no slight, even the best QB’s in history struggle against the best defenses. The difference is those great passers make tight window throws from the pocket and make plays. They’re never out of a game their entire team plays well in.

If Lamar isn’t playing with a lead against one of these defenses the Ravens have no chance. Look at Lamar’s record where he’s forced to pass too many times. He’s not a passer, he’s a runner who passes some. Great in the regular season against the dregs, great in his first season starting when opponents had no film on him… not so much now.

The Ravens team are talented, they’re 28th in passing attempts, 26th in passing yards, 21st in team QB Rating. Lamar’s production has only gone down since his MVP season. Nobody wants to admit the emperor wears no clothes. If the Ravens pay him like an MVP they’re resigning themselves to playoff purgatory… which I hope for. I’m no fan of the Ravens.

There isn't a team in the NFL that gets worse without their starting quarterback than the Ravens.
Many teams have a better alternative than an injured Tyler Huntley.

Final Regular Season QB Rankings

Considering prior performance (rolling two-year period) with greater weight on the 2022 regular season and projections for future production (stats, wins, importance to team).

Teams with multiple starters I went with the QB who had the most starts unless the last starting QB had 4 or more starts to finish the season (for example Brock Purdy).

01. Patrick Mahomes
02. Josh Allen
03. Joe Burrow
04. Jalen Hurts
05. Lamar Jackson
06. Justin Herbert
07. Tua Tagovailoa
08. Geno Smith
09. Tom Brady
10. Trevor Lawrence
11. Kirk Cousins
12. Jared Goff
13. Justin Fields
14. Brock Purdy
15. Aaron Rodgers
16. Daniel Jones
17. Dak Prescott
18. Kyler Murray
19. Deshaun Watson
20. Andy Dalton
21. Derek Carr
22. Ryan Tannehill
23. Taylor Heinicke
24. Russell Wilson
25. Mac Jones
26. Kenny Pickett
27. Baker Mayfield
28. Sam Darnold
29. Desmond Ridder
30. Matt Ryan
31. Davis Mills
32. Zach Wilson

Pickett should be above Mac IMO but it’s a quibble.

Considering prior performance (rolling two-year period) with greater weight on the 2022 regular season and projections for future production (stats, wins, importance to team).

Teams with multiple starters I went with the QB who had the most starts unless the last starting QB had 4 or more starts to finish the season (for example Brock Purdy).

01. Patrick Mahomes
02. Josh Allen
03. Joe Burrow
04. Jalen Hurts
05. Lamar Jackson
06. Justin Herbert
07. Tua Tagovailoa
08. Geno Smith
09. Tom Brady
10. Trevor Lawrence
11. Kirk Cousins
12. Jared Goff
13. Justin Fields
14. Brock Purdy
15. Aaron Rodgers
16. Daniel Jones
17. Dak Prescott
18. Kyler Murray
19. Deshaun Watson
20. Andy Dalton
21. Derek Carr
22. Ryan Tannehill
23. Taylor Heinicke
24. Russell Wilson
25. Mac Jones
26. Kenny Pickett
27. Baker Mayfield
28. Sam Darnold
29. Desmond Ridder
30. Matt Ryan
31. Davis Mills
32. Zach Wilson
Man when it comes to LJAX you are stubborn.

Pickett should be above Mac IMO but it’s a quibble.
Pickett is extremely green and Pittsburgh heavily managed him this season after a rough start. The key for Pickett while they finished out the season 6-2 was not turning the ball over and he only had 1 INT over that span. Fellow rookie George Pickens also looks like he's going to be a very good NFL WR1. They should be a wild card contender next season when I think that North division is going to be very good.

Man when it comes to LJAX you are stubborn.
Probably.

The late season injuries are turning into a major concern. Looks like he'll be back for the postseason but probably he'll be limited. Either way the Bengals should be comfortably favored in that matchup.

As for Jackson, the team is basically useless without him. In the 10 starts he's missed over the last two seasons, they're 3-7. They're 15-9 when he starts. Overall his passing numbers this season were better than last season but not as good as his MVP season or 2020. He was as productive as ever running the ball. Although I wouldn't agree with it, you probably could at least argue for him to be as low as 11th behind Lawrence.

Looking at my list, where would you re-slot him?

I would place Lamar below Herbert though….

And Daniel Jones? Meh…drop him another 5-7 slots…

Why is Lamar so high?

If going by last two years Brady, Herbert, Rodgers to name a few should be ahead of him. Rodgers just won MVP last year.

Here are his numbers the last two years.

24 Games
33 TD
20 INT
8 Fumbles
5124 Yards
1531 Rushing yards 5 TD
63% passing
58.05 QBR
89.05 RTG

I don’t like L Jackson nearly as much as some fans. But ‘wow’ : look at the list. Starting from scratch, how many of those QBs would you really want ? Not “could be ok with”, but really want…. I guess I’d say - in this order - Mahomes, Burrow, Allen. And the rest, there is a group under those three ‘you can win with’.

Pickett is extremely green and Pittsburgh heavily managed him this season after a rough start. The key for Pickett while they finished out the season 6-2 was not turning the ball over and he only had 1 INT over that span. Fellow rookie George Pickens also looks like he's going to be a very good NFL WR1. They should be a wild card contender next season when I think that North division is going to be very good.

Probably.

The late season injuries are turning into a major concern. Looks like he'll be back for the postseason but probably he'll be limited. Either way the Bengals should be comfortably favored in that matchup.

As for Jackson, the team is basically useless without him. In the 10 starts he's missed over the last two seasons, they're 3-7. They're 15-9 when he starts. Overall his passing numbers this season were better than last season but not as good as his MVP season or 2020. He was as productive as ever running the ball. Although I wouldn't agree with it, you probably could at least argue for him to be as low as 11th behind Lawrence.

Looking at my list, where would you re-slot him?
15-20. Hes regressed.

If he had a 2019 year #3-#5.

I would place Lamar below Herbert though….
I really wouldn't argue against that.

And Daniel Jones? Meh…drop him another 5-7 slots…
Certainly not a prolific passer but he was improved with Daboll and he had a breakout season running the ball (708 Yds, 5.9 Y/A & 7 TDs). He also had the lowest INT% in the NFL at 1.1%. Keep in mind too, his receivers are nothing special. I have him 16th and couldn't see dropping him any lower than 20th.

Why is Lamar so high?

If going by last two years Brady, Herbert, Rodgers to name a few should be ahead of him. Rodgers just won MVP last year.
Two years with an emphasis on the more recent season. I'd be ok with dropping Lamar below Herbert and Brady but not Rodgers. Even though Rodgers was (undeservingly) MVP last season, he was outright terrible for chunks of this season. He did nothing in December and January. Green Bay won 4 in a row with their running game, defense, and against some lesser opponents. Per usual, when the team needed him to step up with a clutch performance to win a meaningful game, he choked.

Lamar was the best player in the league in 2019 and he was really good in 2020 as well. I know, that's going beyond the timeframe, but as I pointed out the team is garbage without him. When he's healthy, he's an uber-talented football player. Like some quarterbacks, he doesn't get enough credit for his running ability, which is off the charts special. He needs better weapons around him to help improve his passing game.

I don’t like L Jackson nearly as much as some fans. But ‘wow’ : look at the list. Starting from scratch, how many of those QBs would you really want ? Not “could be ok with”, but really want…. I guess I’d say - in this order - Mahomes, Burrow, Allen. And the rest, there is a group under those three ‘you can win with’.
Really want from scratch? Or over Mac?

I'd add a few names to your wish list of QBs:
Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Jalen Hurts, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and Tom Brady (for two seasons with a franchise QB in waiting)

01. Patrick Mahomes
02. Josh Allen
03. Joe Burrow
04. Jalen Hurts
05. Lamar Jackson
06. Justin Herbert
07. Tua Tagovailoa
08. Geno Smith
09. Tom Brady
10. Trevor Lawrence
11. Kirk Cousins
12. Jared Goff
13. Justin Fields
14. Brock Purdy
15. Aaron Rodgers
16. Daniel Jones
17. Dak Prescott
18. Kyler Murray
19. Deshaun Watson
20. Andy Dalton
21. Derek Carr
22. Ryan Tannehill
23. Taylor Heinicke
24. Russell Wilson
25. Mac Jones
26. Kenny Pickett
27. Baker Mayfield
28. Sam Darnold
29. Desmond Ridder
30. Matt Ryan
31. Davis Mills
32. Zach Wilson
You're at like, the septupling down stage.

I don't think the Ravens and Lamar will have a happy ending.

If that turns out to be true, curious to see where he lands.

Anyone else feel Lamar made a business decision not to suit up again this season after his last injury? Early reports didn't indicate he'd miss this much time. He might have felt it wasn't worth it to put his body on the line without a fat guaranteed contract to fall back on if things went sideways.

Anyone else feel Lamar made a business decision not to suit up again this season after his last injury? Early reports didn't indicate he'd miss this much time. He might have felt it wasn't worth it to put his body on the line without a fat guaranteed contract to fall back on if things went sideways.
Lamar is claiming now that the injury was fairly significant. Who knows? Baltimore is completely screwed without him. Sucks that we're not likely to see Lamar in the postseason. I hope they go their separate ways after the season. I think Lamar is uber-talented and a change of scenery would do him some good. Maybe NYJ, that would be fun for the Patriots. Or LVR if they decide not to pursue Brady. Lamar would fit right in with Raider Nation. And I'm pretty sure Josh wanted him in the draft but Bill passed on the idea.

I hope Lamar and Baltimore part ways. He needs to go to a big market team.

I hope Lamar and Baltimore part ways. He needs to go to a big market team.
he needs to go back to 3rd grade remedial English and learn how to properly communicate as an adult. He's a pampered, spoiled little idiot that has gotten as far as he has because he can run like a gazelle. Unfortunately, even a gazelle possesses far more innate intelligence than "Noam sain!" Lamary...

he needs to go back to 3rd grade remedial English and learn how to properly communicate as an adult. He's a pampered, spoiled little idiot that has gotten as far as he has because he can run like a gazelle. Unfortunately, even a gazelle is possesses far more innate intelligence than "Noam sain!" Lamary...
Yeah my friend can't stand the way he talks. It's pretty bad. He's not marketable at all.

he needs to go back to 3rd grade remedial English and learn how to properly communicate as an adult. He's a pampered, spoiled little idiot that has gotten as far as he has because he can run like a gazelle. Unfortunately, even a gazelle possesses far more innate intelligence than "Noam sain!" Lamary...
"It ain't no sin to go to the scrip club, you know. I was just being rebellion." -Adam "Pacman" Jones

oof...that quote just broke Grammerly

Jackson released his own injury report and put himself out of the game.

If you think about it, why would Jackson risk further injury or playing hurt when his contract is set to expire at the end of the season. This is what happens when you let your QB get into a contract year. I can't wish enough bad things to happen to the Ravens, plague, locusts, basically anything from the Old Testament, I wished heaped upon that scum team. But I can see how Jackson (who represents himself (no agent), is not going to risk millions of dollars by playing hurt.

Now once the Ratbirds are eliminated, the real intrigue begins. Do they franchise Jackson? Transition tag him? Or let him "test the free agency waters? Jackson has not finished the last two seasons; now he is getting older and is not the size of a Cam Newton or Josh Allen. Sooner or later, he is going to get hurt. If I was an NFL GM, I probably wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.

This contract impasse is also a direct result to the ludicrous contract the Browns gave Watson, Jackson wanted five years guaranteed like Watson got, and the Ratbirds refused. I doubt anyone is going to give him that.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back