PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT WK1 2023 Power Rankings

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

Florio and Co. have released their 2023 power rankings for wk. 1. Curious what everyone else’s thoughts were. I was surprised to see the Fins and Jets rated so damn high. I know the media is high on both squads but that seems very generous to me. Am I sleeping on them? 3 AFC East teams in the top 10 and all 4 in the top 20. If each team lives up to the hype, it’s gonna be an absolute slugfest. Them again, the division could end up playing out like the AFC West last year with a lot of disappointments.

19. Patriots: They used to be the Harlem Globetrotters. They’re now in danger of becoming the Washington Generals.

They are?

Who would even CARE about this now. I want, no I NEED 10,000 words on this topic, now! :rolleyes:

Are we THAT starved for content????

19. Patriots: They used to be the Harlem Globetrotters. They’re now in danger of becoming the Washington Generals.

They are?
No, but Florio used to be the Washington Generals. Now he's in danger of becoming the Washington Commanders.

Who would even CARE about this now. I want, no I NEED 10,000 words on this topic, now! :rolleyes:

Are we THAT starved for content????
To be honest, 95% of all the content most people consume during a typical season cycle is completely worthless. It’s called entertainment my friend! I do enjoy following their weekly power rankings updates. It’s a bite size version of what you like to do with your idle thoughts but covers the entire league. It’s interesting watching how drastically the opinions can change from week to week and I can read it in a few mins. At the end of the day does any of it matter?

There are few predictions less valuable than forecasting this years NFL record based on last years. Too much changes year-to-year, and semi-random factors like key injuries compound the problem.

Here's an interesting illustration
SOS is an interesting thing. Bill has it right, we’re onto Cincinnati. Each week is a new challenge. The link is a perfect example. It’s impossible to forecast any teams record but it’s fun. That’s what makes football such a great sport. Teams like the Cardinals, Texans or Panthers can go all the way this year whereas a team like KC is one injury from a very important man of plummeting to mediocrity. It’s wild when regular joes put stuff together like that reddit poster did. Thanks for sharing it.

To be honest, 95% of all the content most people consume during a typical season cycle is completely worthless. It’s called entertainment my friend! I do enjoy following their weekly power rankings updates. It’s a bite size version of what you like to do with your idle thoughts but covers the entire league. It’s interesting watching how drastically the opinions can change from week to week and I can read it in a few mins. At the end of the day does any of it matter?
This. Power rankings are meaningless fodder for media types to post to create content without having to do any real work. I enjoy them but don't get worked up about them.

Seahawks at #9 is nuts.
Right? What the hell did they do this offseason to get so good? I know the NFC has some weak ass teams but is it that bad?

This. Power rankings are meaningless fodder for media types to post to create content without having to do any real work. I enjoy them but don't get worked up about them.
So, do you think he rated the Fins and Jets as high as he did due to offseason hype or to rile folks up and get them talking? The Fins have what I see as a serviceable D and an offense loaded with an incredibly talented WR duo. They’ve got a qb that is progressing but can’t stay on the field. The Jets are a huge unknown. They’ve got a defense that can rock if they get rollin’ and an offense with some big names that have had their best years left behind them. They’ve gotta catch lightning in a bottle imo.

So, do you think he rated the Fins and Jets as high as he did due to offseason hype or to rile folks up and get them talking? The Fins have what I see as a serviceable D and an offense loaded with an incredibly talented WR duo. They’ve got a qb that is progressing but can’t stay on the field. The Jets are a huge unknown. They’ve got a defense that can rock if they get rollin’ and an offense with some big names that have had their best years left behind them. They’ve gotta catch lightning in a bottle imo.
I think Florio tends to buy into the hype. He also leans hard on the records (which of course there aren't any right now). I think he genuinely believes both the Jets and Dolphins are going to be good because of how they finished last season and all the hype of their free-agent acquisitions.

His power rankings will fall in line once the games start getting played.

Seahawks at #9 is nuts.
They have Playmakers @ WR so they can get away with above average play @ QB they did It last year.

Love the Jets being ranked so high.

More fun when the implosion begins, and we all know it's coming.

It's in their DNA.
They seem to check ✔️ the boxes everywhere. We know their Offense or QBs have wasted their Defense for years. I think this is the year they get it right. I am just hoping for a split.

Do people think the Patriots should be ranked higher than 19? Per Curran, the Patriots are 3-16 vs playoff teams in the last three seasons (with one of those wins in a hurricane). Why should\would a team with such an abhorrent record vs good teams be ranked higher than 19, when a ranking in the top 16 theoretically would make said team a playoff team?
The Patriots have very little talent on their roster. 19 is probably being generous and is a huge deferment to the HC of the NEP.

Eagles should be ahead of the 49ers.

Dolphins are way too high.

Bengals are too low.

Jets are also too high.

Bills are around where they should be, but they are trending in the wrong direction.

Jaguars and Seahawks are too high.

Pats are ranked around where they should be - middle of the pack.

Last edited:
Do people think the Patriots should be ranked higher than 19? Per Curran, the Patriots are 3-16 vs playoff teams in the last three seasons (with one of those wins in a hurricane). Why should\would a team with such an abhorrent record vs good teams be ranked higher than 19, when a ranking in the top 16 theoretically would make said team a playoff team?
The Patriots have very little talent on their roster. 19 is probably being generous and is a huge deferment to the HC of the NEP.
You won’t get any explanations from your question that I put in bold. No matter how they answer, it will walk those posters right into a check mate.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back