PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

We are talking about this season..
Cousins and Geno have had much better years than TB
Oh ok, just wondering on when we use past accomplishments for current rankings!

We are talking about this season..
Cousins and Geno have had much better years than TB
Cousins hasn't had that great of a season. Even with one of the most dependably explosive WRs in the NFL. Brady's numbers are better than Cousins almost across the board... completions, completion%, yards, TD/INT ratio, QBR.

Geno has had a better 2022 than Brady. But the rankings are based off a rolling two-year period. With less emphasis on the prior year, but it's still a factor. That part is a little vague I suppose.

I've never been a fan of running QBs but it looks like there are some doing well. The difference that appears to matter is the size of the QB. Smaller running QBs like Murray and Jackson seem to miss more games with injuries, and missing their starting QB is a major issue for most teams.

Where are the Lamar Jackson fanboys? Is he still a Top 5 QB?

I've never been a fan of running QBs but it looks like there are some doing well. The difference that appears to matter is the size of the QB. Smaller running QBs like Murray and Jackson seem to miss more games with injuries, and missing their starting QB is a major issue for most teams.
There are running QB's, and there are passing QB's who can run... who can also beat superior defenses from the pocket with their arm.

Being able to beat playoff caliber defenses from the pocket is a pre-requisite for winning in the playoffs. Lamar can't do that.

His team uses scheme to mask the fact he isn't an accurate passer, it's why he annually ranks among the fewest pass attempts in the league.

If he were actually a great passer like Herbert or Mahomes, they wouldn't be afraid to let him pass the ball. He needs to be curated, protected using scheme, his team has to get a lead early and play from ahead.

He needs guys wide open using RPO and play action because he can't consistently connect on tight window throws or throws to smaller targets. He has to have 2-3 TE's on the field at all times, because he needs to have 6'5" 250 pound targets with really long wingspans to throw to. His stats in college and as a pro affirm this.

He's the modern equivalent to Michael Vick. Exciting, fun to watch, great to play on Madden... but his ability to win actual playoff football games is limited by the opponents they play. And the odds the Ravens will face 3-4 poor defenses on the way to a Super Bowl win is next to nil.

Where are the Lamar Jackson fanboys? Is he still a Top 5 QB?
He's clinging to the #5 spot, just like his team is clinging to 1st place. Unfortunately he's missing some time with an injury. Looks like he'll be back next week. Week 18 matchup looming @CIN for the division. We'll see what Jackson looks like in the postseason. He's flying under the radar right now with what Mahomes, Burrow and Allen are doing so he'll have a great opportunity to quiet his detractors. Or not.

Never been a big fan of his, even though his talent is transcendent. Here's the problem with him, at least so far in his career. First and foremost, BECAUSE his running is such a big part of the Ravens offense, he has missed too many games with injuries and that number is only going to grow as he ages. Two - at least to this point he needs a unique offense to thrive. And that is going to become more problematic as more so called "athletic QB's" come into the league and defenses get to see these "unique offenses" more and more.

There is an immutable fact of life in the NFL. Offenses make advances and defenses catch up. (the reverse occurs as well). What Jackson has been running closely resembles the single wing offense which dominated college and the pros well into the late 40's. Why did it disappear for over 70 years? Because defenses caught up and the T formation proved more flexible. three: More and more defenses will start to hit the QB in the RPO even when the QB doesn't have the ball. And when they start to do this, teams will be less willing to subject their $40MM assets to constant banging. If you notice Mahomes rarely runs the ball now. He uses his "escapability" to extend pass plays, not run the ball downfield.

four - ONE playoff win in 4+ seasons. Highlight reel plays do NOT necessarily make for playoff success. The ravens have been in the playoffs the last 3 seasons and have only one win to show for it.

Now I'm a big believer that players CAN improve as their careers go on even into their 5th and 6th seasons and beyond, so we may yet see Lamar Jackson evolve into a pass first QB who can use his great quickness to extend pass plays and not be the primary runner, and use his great arm to be an accurate and prolific passer.

BOTTOM LINE: Maybe I'm just old, but I'm not going to be trying to build my franchise QB around a run first QB. We have seen too many become too inconsistent to lead teams to be championship contenders year after year. How would like to be the GM that signed Tyler Murray to a quarter BILLION dollar contract today. All the tools but he's not leading his team to the playoffs. I wouldn't have traded Mac for him, BEFORE the injury. And all Justin Fields has proved is he can be occasionally entertaining. (but as he is just in his 2nd year, he may improve as well)

There are running QB's, and there are passing QB's who can run... who can also beat superior defenses from the pocket with their arm.

Being able to beat playoff caliber defenses from the pocket is a pre-requisite for winning in the playoffs. Lamar can't do that.

His team uses scheme to mask the fact he isn't an accurate passer, it's why he annually ranks among the fewest pass attempts in the league.

If he were actually a great passer like Herbert or Mahomes, they wouldn't be afraid to let him pass the ball. He needs to be curated, protected using scheme, his team has to get a lead early and play from ahead.

He needs guys wide open using RPO and play action because he can't consistently connect on tight window throws or throws to smaller targets. He has to have 2-3 TE's on the field at all times, because he needs to have 6'5" 250 pound targets with really long wingspans to throw to. His stats in college and as a pro affirm this.

He's the modern equivalent to Michael Vick. Exciting, fun to watch, great to play on Madden... but his ability to win actual playoff football games is limited by the opponents they play. And the odds the Ravens will face 3-4 poor defenses on the way to a Super Bowl win is next to nil.
The Ratbirds are in the top 5 in rushing offense and defense but in the bottom 10 in passing offense and defense.

It seems like every time I watch Jackson I see him missing open receivers. At this point in his career he should have developed into more of a passer. He's off the charts as a runner though.

The Ratbirds are in the top 5 in rushing offense and defense but in the bottom 10 in passing offense and defense.

It seems like every time I watch Jackson I see him missing open receivers. At this point in his career he should have developed into more of a passer. He's off the charts as a runner though.
Jackson since the Pats game
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 10.26.45 AM.png

That's for week 15 games only. Like a weekly fantasy ranking. Lamar Jackson isn't playing so therefore he's not on the list. That list from 14 down is frightening. I don't think Tua will do much in the elements in Buffalo either. Cassel not showing much respect for Mac going up against a terrible Raiders pass defense either.

As a runner he's there but as a passer you'd have to add 7 to your 15.
Yea he is one of the best runners in the NFL no question.

Jackson since the Pats game
View attachment 48285
Aside from Andrews, his supporting cast isn't good. The WRs are a total joke. They're probably going to lose @CLE without him.

Regarding this Lamar debate, it almost doesn't matter what he does in the regular season because when he was the best player in the league for a season, it got totally dismissed because of the playoff loss to the Titans. So the fall back for his detractors is "he hasn't done anything in the postseason." Even though he's still only 25. That's why we're sort of in a wait and see standstill. He'll have a steep uphill climb in this postseason so we'll see how he responds.

Lamar needs to find a way to get himself to South Beach.

Lamar needs to find a way to get himself to South Beach.
he could go gay and call himself Heady Lamarr...(or is that Hedley?)

d53974171a8f433d7e38d4cf89f3f6bf.jpg

he could go gay and call himself Heady Lamarr...(or is that Hedley?)

d53974171a8f433d7e38d4cf89f3f6bf.jpg
From Wikipedia...

In 1966, Lamarr was arrested in Los Angeles for shoplifting. The charges were eventually dropped. In 1991, she was arrested on the same charge in Florida, this time for stealing $21.48 worth of laxatives and eye drops.[66] She pleaded no contest to avoid a court appearance, and the charges were dropped in return for her promise to refrain from breaking any laws for a year.[67]

There isn't a team in the NFL that gets worse without their starting quarterback than the Ravens.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back