PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS QB rankings- Mac Jones dissed

The problem is your list isn't worth much more than a lazy insult. Obviously you're doing it for your own amusement, although you'd be better off writing it on a piece of paper and taping it to your bathroom mirror vs. sharing it here. It's a preposterous exercise to begin with. Then you proceed to suggest the likes of Goff, Pickett, Purdy, Richardson, Young and Stroud would be superior choices to lead the Patriots offense. It's just silly stuff.
The list is an honest take. Make of it what you want.

I have Mac ranked higher than the rookies for the 2023 season. I said I would trade Mac for any of those rookies? You wouldn't? You think if Mac is dropped into this draft he would have gone ahead of Young, Stroud, or Richardson?

I ranked Pickett and Purdy higher than Mac, but barely. Supporting casts are a factor too and Purdy has among the best in the NFL. I love the team they're building around Pickett in Pittsburgh. And even though his numbers were worse, I thought Pickett looked better than Mac last season. For that matter I think Zappe looked better than Mac.

Goff was very good last season with a young team. He's had a few very good seasons in his career and at this point I do rank him higher than Mac.

If the only tape you will accept to forecast Mac's future is his 2022 season, then of course he's hopeless. But of course hopelessness is your calling card.
I'm looking at 2021 as well... split that season into thirds and you'll see Mac was bad in the 1st and 3rd third. I don't think he's "hopeless", that's too strong, but I think he needs a stronger supporting cast. What would Mac look like with Hill and Waddle? I don't know but I know how good Tua looked... that Miami offense can be championship caliber with Tua. Their problem was their pass defense. I've said a thousand times I like the Patriots WRs, if an elite player is their QB, which isn't the case, so one or the other, or both, need to be better.

Pickett ranked 8th in the league in EPA/Play starting from Week 9. He was really bad to start then ended strongly and made a lot of plays to win games down the stretch, even if the box score numbers don't look pretty or the Steelers weren't relying on him to throw the ball a ton. There's a lot to be optimistic about with him going into 2023.

I don’t think he’s ahead of many NFL players but I’m also sure how he’s below guys like Jordan love

Pickett ranked 8th in the league in EPA/Play starting from Week 9. He was really bad to start then ended strongly and made a lot of plays to win games down the stretch, even if the box score numbers don't look pretty or the Steelers weren't relying on him to throw the ball a ton. There's a lot to be optimistic about with him going into 2023.
Mac was in the top 5 in EPA/play in 2021 before the winning streak ended and he and everything else collapsed and has not recovered.

Really

Brady struggled year 2 and missed the post season. Numerous other QBs like Baker Mayfield regressed in year 2. Kyle Murray looked like the answer, but he isnt. The real deal NFL QBs have the intelligence and fortitude to elevate their game and the pretenders do not.
Brady lead the league in TD's in Year two....

Really

Brady struggled year 2 and missed the post season. Numerous other QBs like Baker Mayfield regressed in year 2. Kyle Murray looked like the answer, but he isnt. The real deal NFL QBs have the intelligence and fortitude to elevate their game and the pretenders do not.
I wouldn’t say Brady “struggled” in his second season as a starter. He obviously wasn’t a finished product but I’d argue he was better in 02 than he was in the Super Bowl year. His play wasn’t why they missed the playoffs, a terrible run defense was.
The pass defense was terrible too. Take Brady away and that was a 6-10 team. He lead a few comebacks that year and won some shootouts.

Brady lead the league in TD's in Year two....
And, failed to make the playoffs at 9 - 7.

Brady went on a 4 game losing streak after Mary Schottenhiemer and the Chargers figured out that Brady was less accurate if you made him move. 2 INTs vs SD, 2 INTS vs Miami and 3 INTS vs GB. Completing only 50% of his passes in 2 games during this stretch, but no, Brady really didnt struggle at all.

From a national perspective, a lot of people are discounting how much Patricia and Judge screwed up this offense. People know they were bad, but not how bad they truly were. Whether or not Jones ever becomes a good QB, he is worlds better than what he looked like last year.
This is an excellent point on how much the poor coaching is being ignored in the judging of Jones. As fans of the team we got to see how really awful it was last season and even we don't know him yet.

This is an excellent point on how much the poor coaching is being ignored in the judging of Jones. As fans of the team we got to see how really awful it was last season and even we don't know him yet.
This ^

Wins/losses, playoff results... these are all team results. Deshaun Watson was the best QB in the league in 2020, he won 4 games. From 2014-2016 Drew Brees led the NFL in total offense twice, passing once, sustained a 100 QB Rating, made a Pro Bowl and his teams won 7 games, 7 games, 7 games.... his defenses were among the worst in the league.

Brees has a ring on his finger from 2009, he is second to only Tom Brady on the all-time passing yards and TD list... shouldn't he have more rings? How does Eli Manning have two rings? He never led the NFL in passing or TD's once, only interceptions... three times.

Don't just look at which QB won the Super Bowl, that's a team result... look around the league at all the great QB's who win single digit games in the regular season. It's a team game.

Yep… In order for him to succeed, Mac has to have Superior personnel All around him; he’s certainly not a “He can take his’n and beat your’n or take your’n and beat his’n” type of QB.
None of us have any idea how Jones will develop after his wasted year #2.

This ^

Wins/losses, playoff results... these are all team results. Deshaun Watson was the best QB in the league in 2020, he won 4 games. From 2014-2016 Drew Brees led the NFL in total offense twice, passing once, sustained a 100 QB Rating, made a Pro Bowl and his teams won 7 games, 7 games, 7 games.... his defenses were among the worst in the league.

Brees has a ring on his finger from 2009, he is second to only Tom Brady on the all-time passing yards and TD list... shouldn't he have more rings? How does Eli Manning have two rings? He never led the NFL in passing or TD's once, only interceptions... three times.

Don't just look at which QB won the Super Bowl, that's a team result... look around the league at all the great QB's who win single digit games in the regular season. It's a team game.
Marino is also a surprise. He was too good of a QB to not have a ring. Maybe Shula* wasn't so great after all.

The fact that the teams are now rewarded with playoff spots that are determined by using totally different schedules, and can go to teams for only having a better record than three other teams, is a big problem in my mind. That combined with one game playoffs makes it more difficult for the best team to get to a SB.

A young cook at a local diner here is a Pittsburgh fan and he's been very high on Pickett.

Marino is also a surprise. He was too good of a QB to not have a ring. Maybe Shula* wasn't so great after all.

The fact that the teams are now rewarded with playoff spots that are determined by using totally different schedules, and can go to teams for only having a better record than three other teams, is a big problem in my mind. That combined with one game playoffs makes it more difficult for the best team to get to a SB.
For 12 years Matt Stafford played in Detroit and won zero playoff games, he goes to the Rams and immediately wins 4 playoff games including a Super Bowl. It's clear as day that a QB, no matter how good or great, needs a great team around him to go anywhere in the playoffs.

We were lucky to have Brady and Brady was lucky to have belichick who built a super bowl contending team year after year.

Brady could win once in Tampa with all star team but after that it gets difficult. That combo belongs to mahomes now.

If we need to beat chiefs someone should poach spagnuolo . I donno why he does not have a HC job yet . The only thing that I feel can derail chiefs are the DC leaving and Kelce retiring. Kelce is playing at a superman level not showing any dip. Most prolly will end up with being a fan favorite for best all time TE though he is not comparable to Gronk in terms of blocking.

But more than makes up for that with his availability and clutch performances.

Josh Allen window has decreased significantly . It's eagles or the chiefs again this year.

Bill has built a stellar team around defense . Let's hope we get above average offensive play and see where it takes us. I like what bill is doing. Trying to get a mid level QB with all star team . If our depth sustains we could get deeper into playoffs. If Kelce is injured I don't see any way chiefs could win in post season.

For 12 years Matt Stafford played in Detroit and won zero playoff games, he goes to the Rams and immediately wins 4 playoff games including a Super Bowl. It's clear as day that a QB, no matter how good or great, needs a great team around him to go anywhere in the playoffs.
I love Dan Marino, incredible regular season quarterback, and he played on teams good enough to win a Super Bowl, but the problem was he consistently played like garbage in the postseason.

Brady played on teams with less around him but he consistently played well and converted an extraordinarily high number of game-winning moments.

Peyton Manning had more raw talent than Brady, and he had plenty of great teams around him, HOF WRs and RBs, and twice winning Super Bowls because of his defense, but he didn't win more because he like Marino saved his worst for the biggest moments.

Stafford doesn't belong in a discussion involving all time greats like Brady, Manning, and Marino. It's not shocking he never won in Detroit. I'm not classifying the 2022 Rams as an all time great team, Kupp had a historic season, they had Aaron Donald and made a mid-season trade for Von Miller, but they weren't a dominant team. They played only a smidge better than their postseason opponents.

Brady went to a team who hadn't won a playoff game in 18 years and immediately won a Super Bowl (with 3 road playoff wins). It's a clear example of what an all time great QB can do for a team.

Yeah, Brady "wasn't Brady" in 2001 but he was far more competent than Bledsoe and he converted the first of 6 game-winning Super Bowl drives. The Patriots dynasty doesn't happen without Brady and he's the only irreplaceable individual 2001-2019.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back