PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Owners set to give Goodell Extension?

Obviously he is doing what the 32 want him to do.
Frankly they could fire Goodell, hire a middle management Yes Man* flunky for a "huge" $300K salary and get the same results while putting over $1 million plus in each of their pockets.

* or woman, before the SJW pitchforks come out

The thing is I never got that. Most of the flak he takes is caused by him. There would be no reason to take flak if he handled situations like Ray Rice, Bountygate, Deflategate, etc. properly or at least did it shadily with any type of finesse. About 90% of the flak he takes for the owners is only flak because he created it and made it worse by his arrogance and stonewalling the press.

Seriously, Goodell could have easily gotten his pound of flesh from the Patriots in Deflategate without issuing a bogus report, persecuting Tom Brady who he basically turned into a martyr to most of the world, and brought this to the courts. There was no way it wouldn't have been a crap storm here, but if he handled it correctly, he could have made himself look like the hero and the Patriots look like the bad guys. But the way he handled it got even guys who have their heads up Goodell's butt like Peter King defending the Patriots and questioning the integrity of the League.

Without Goodell, the owners wouldn't need to have someone to take the flak in the first place. When Tagliabue was Commissioner, he rarely needed to take the flak for owners.

I would buy this if I didn't think Goodell was acting on what different owners were telling him to do. For instance, you won't be able to convince me, and maybe even yourself, that Elliott's punishment (evidence be damned) didn't have anything to do with Mara. Or that New England's punishment for Deflategate didn't have anything to do with Jones (I think this one is rather obvious, given his comments at the time it happened).

I find it interesting that this is no longer a headline story, probably means nothing but i'm praying this isn't true

From what I've read, NFL franchises are worth an additional $46 Billion, collectively, since Goodell became commissioner. Think the owners are happy about that? In addition, he's the ultimate villain for the fan bases, while shielding the owners from criticism, even though they pull the strings, in the end. While I'm positive that a chimpanzee would do a better job than Goodell--again, from a fan perspective--the owners seem quite happy with the growth of their businesses and the additional revenue streams that Goodell has helped push through. My guess is that he's around long-term, despite the deep-seated and justified outrage from offended fans (namely those of the Patriots and Saints).

If the NFL was serious about both player safety and conduct, the would remove this idiot and replace him with someone who is both fair and independent.

I would put my resume forward, but I don't think I would make it.

Others who I think would be good choices:

Condaleeza Rice
Roger Staubach
Judy Schienman
Jim Brown

They really need someone, outside of that cesspool that is 325 Park Ave, and is independent and not a Mara tool.

Here's the thing. What the NFL has done is ask their "compensation committee" to look into an extention for Goodell. I want to know just WHO is on that "compensation committee". If guys like Kraft, Hunt, and Jones are members then I have to wonder WTF.

Roger Goodell has led the league into an era of its greatest financial success. He has also led it to an era of of its greatest danger. There is NO fan base in the league that believes that the league office is even handed (well maybe Giants fans, since they get away with everyting). He has been caught is so many lies and misdirections over the years that it is hard to keep up. The mishandling of he Eliot case is just another in a LONG line of blunders. (BTW- I'm not judging the results, but rather how long it took)

If the owners brought in Goodell to be the "fall guy" for thier petty games, then they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. However it is PAST time for him to go and move on. If they reward this mook with another contract then, I will be even more furious....and if Kraft has ANY part in this plan to keep him on, then I will demand a public explanation of his actions, and be deeply disappointed in him.

Here's the thing. What the NFL has done is ask their "compensation committee" to look into an extention for Goodell. I want to know just WHO is on that "compensation committee". If guys like Kraft, Hunt, and Jones are members then I have to wonder WTF.

Six guys -- Kraft and Hunt are both on it, Jones is not. Other guys are Arthur Blank (the chairman), Bob McNair, and I know you'll be surprised to hear, Art Rooney and John Mara.

Roger Goodell Said to Be in Line for New Five-Year N.F.L. Contract

Like a dog going back to lick up its own puke...

The thing is I never got that. Most of the flak he takes is caused by him. There would be no reason to take flak if he handled situations like Ray Rice, Bountygate, Deflategate, etc. properly or at least did it shadily with any type of finesse. About 90% of the flak he takes for the owners is only flak because he created it and made it worse by his arrogance and stonewalling the press.

Ratbirds owner, Bisciotti, covered up what Ray Rice did. I believe Ray Rice told them the truth about exactly what happened. But like all scumbag owners, they choose to cover it up than do the right thing. And because of the coverup started by the ratbirds owner instead of doing the right thing, it essentially ended Ray Rice's career.

After watching the video can't say I'm not happy about how it turned out. Of course for all the wrong reasons.

I would buy this if I didn't think Goodell was acting on what different owners were telling him to do. For instance, you won't be able to convince me, and maybe even yourself, that Elliott's punishment (evidence be damned) didn't have anything to do with Mara. Or that New England's punishment for Deflategate didn't have anything to do with Jones (I think this one is rather obvious, given his comments at the time it happened).

And you think Tagliabue didn't do what owners told him to do? He just did it with finesse. Goodell takes a sledge hammer to everything he does. There hasn't been a single controversy that he didn't blow up a thousand times worse because of his arrogance.

Sure the owners wanted the Pats punished for Deflategate, but he literally turned it into a Federal case. He so badly made it clear that Brady's appeal was just a sham that it turned this whole thing into a bigger circus. And of course, the Wells Report which his office clearly controlled what was in was so clearly written to frame the Patriots and Brady that it also made it a bigger circus. But even when people questioned him about using Ted Wells, instead of trying to finesse the situation he attached the reporter by saying "Who's going to pay for the investigation? You?".

There hasn't been any small brush fire that Goodell hasn't turned into the burning of Rome. Sure the commission is supposed to take the arrows for the owners, but he blows up these situations into worse situations that he ends up taking nuclear bombs for the owners rather than arrows.

He is one of the worst commissioners of all time in any sport in that respect.

Ratbirds owner, Bisciotti, covered up what Ray Rice did. I believe Ray Rice told them the truth about exactly what happened. But like all scumbag owners, they choose to cover it up than do the right thing. And because of the coverup started by the ratbirds owner instead of doing the right thing, it essentially ended Ray Rice's career.

Biscotti had a lot of the blame here, but Goodell probably could have diffused the situation somewhat. What he ended up doing is keep on fanning more and more flames to the fire making this story go on for months.

You look at virtually any major controversy this League has had during Goodell's tenure and a more media savvy commissioner would have probably never let any of these situations blow up like Goodell has.

People talk about Belichick's contempt for the media, but I will argue that Goodell has just as much or more. He pre-screens questions, doesn't allow follow up questions, will only appear on shows that will ask him questions he wants asked, he will never answer a question with a straight answer.

All you have to do is look at Deflategate. He could have got his pound of flesh out of the Patriots and Brady, but he decided to try to disgrace and discredit one of the 32 teams in the League and one of their biggest stars over an equipment violation that they never even proved happened. Sure the owners wanted the Pats to be punished and hard, but I guarantee you they didn't want what turned into an embarrassing situation for everyone where everyone took a hit from the League office to the jealous owners.

Biscotti had a lot of the blame here, but Goodell probably could have diffused the situation somewhat. What he ended up doing is keep on fanning more and more flames to the fire making this story go on for months.

You look at virtually any major controversy this League has had during Goodell's tenure and a more media savvy commissioner would have probably never let any of these situations blow up like Goodell has.

People talk about Belichick's contempt for the media, but I will argue that Goodell has just as much or more. He pre-screens questions, doesn't allow follow up questions, will only appear on shows that will ask him questions he wants asked, he will never answer a question with a straight answer.

All you have to do is look at Deflategate. He could have got his pound of flesh out of the Patriots and Brady, but he decided to try to disgrace and discredit one of the 32 teams in the League and one of their biggest stars over an equipment violation that they never even proved happened. Sure the owners wanted the Pats to be punished and hard, but I guarantee you they didn't want what turned into an embarrassing situation for everyone where everyone took a hit from the League office to the jealous owners.

You gotta wonder though. Maybe the owners do like this stuff? I mean the owners do want all eyes on them even in the slow part of the off season right? This kept everyone talking about the NYJFL*. So maybe Goodell was doing a good job after all for the owners?

If the NFL was serious about both player safety and conduct, the would remove this idiot and replace him with someone who is both fair and independent.

I would put my resume forward, but I don't think I would make it.

Others who I think would be good choices:

Condaleeza Rice
Roger Staubach
Judy Schienman
Jim Brown

They really need someone, outside of that cesspool that is 325 Park Ave, and is independent and not a Mara tool.

I've long thought that Condaleeza Rice would be a great choice with her combination of political savvy and sports enthusiasm (she is on the NCAA Football Playoff committee).

I never really thought about Roger Staubach, what a great idea! A great leader, a great businessman. I've never heard this idea, it is a good one.

I wasn't sure if you were serious about Judy Schienman (isn't that "Judge Judy"?), I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I don't know her very well (and never watched her) so I wasn't sure if you were serious.

Regarding Jim Brown, he might be pretty good too but he doesn't seem like someone the owners would pick, he seems too independent and arguably too principled.

.....Of course, the argument that Brown might be too independent and principled might apply to all of the other candidates also, that is probably why the Goodell is getting an extension.

You gotta wonder though. Maybe the owners do like this stuff? I mean the owners do want all eyes on them even in the slow part of the off season right? This kept everyone talking about the NYJFL*. So maybe Goodell was doing a good job after all for the owners?

They don't like this going on. Sure they want people talking about the NFL year round, but not about how the League office is corrupt. The ratings are down which they cannot like.

All this negative press could have a long term negative effect on the NFL brand. So of course, the owners aren't going to like that. Heavy weight boxing used to have these types of scandals all the time and eventually they began to have such a reputation that they were so corrupt that it ruined the entire sport. The commissioners of the different organizations looked the other way while Don King fixed the rankings and controlled the sport because they were making a killing on PPV fights. Eventually, the bottom dropped out, It is a little different, but Don King showed what Roger Goodell could eventually do to the sport.

It is instructive to study Goodell's history. He is the son of a New York Congressman and Senator, so he was born into politics. His first job in the NFL was public relations.

And, his only skills are in exactly those two areas:
  • He is a good politician with the owners, he knows how to smooze with those billionaires. He can't work with anyone else, but as long as the has the support from the owners, who cares?
  • He is good at keeping the NFL in the headlines, for good or for ill, and I think the owners go by the saying: "There is no bad publicity except for your obituary".
He can't do anything else apart from those two things. I doubt if he could run an ice cream store in the desert, much less a large business.

It is instructive to study Goodell's history. He is the son of a New York Congressman and Senator, so he was born into politics. His first job in the NFL was public relations.

And, his only skills are in exactly those two areas:
  • He is a good politician with the owners, he knows how to smooze with those billionaires. He can't work with anyone else, but as long as the has the support from the owners, who cares?
  • He is good at keeping the NFL in the headlines, for good or for ill, and I think the owners go by the saying: "There is no bad publicity except for your obituary".
He can't do anything else apart from those two things. I doubt if he could run an ice cream store in the desert, much less a large business.
September 13 will be the tenth anniversary of GoodellGate I.

Nothing's changed.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back