PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL OT rules

I like it the way it is. Id like to see the odds of scoring a td when starting at your 25. They are probably very reasonably low. I understand the teams are gassed but you gotta be able to prevent a td to prove your worth at that point… its a huge difference from being asked to keep them out of fg range (especially with kickers seemingly being alot more capable nowadays)

When in OT you have to start with your back up QB and your top receiver/rb has to sit as well:whistle::rofl:

many where hyped by the divisional games while I was a bit depressed realizing how far away the Pats are when it comes to dynamic/aggressiv playing on both O and D, the Pats looked like they came straight from 1960 with how slow and conservative they played lately in the season
That, or from 2018, where that style of play beat KC in the AFC Championship and the Rams in the Super Bowl.

If I’m being totally honest I’d do it good way.

1. Regular season: No OT. If you can’t win in regulation **** you, you don’t deserve an extra chance

2. Post Season. Add an extra quarter. If no winner is established at the end, the game continues as normal into sudden death.

When in OT you have to start with your back up QB and your top receiver/rb has to sit as well:whistle::rofl:
Stop! You're giving me ideas!!! Like forcing both teams to use a backup lineman as quarterback :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Add a 5th quarter to the game, give each team up to 2 timeouts, provided they don’t have any, and continue the game as it ended in the 4th quarter.

I am not for any gimmicky non-football solution, like the stupid college rules. Keep it like it is during the regular season, and then in the postseason you have a 15 minute period, no matter what. Still tied? Then sudden death.
This is my preference as well. The issue I have with a 10-minute overtime is that the first possession could last for so long that it makes it almost impossible for the team with the second possession. I want to see both teams have at least one full possession without time running out. If you want to do sudden death after those first two possessions then that is fine as well.

Unfortunately that will never happen, because the television networks are the ones paying the big bucks so they are the ones making the rules, and they want it to be as short as possible. Intuitively one would think they would want a longer OT for more commercials, but in reality they have a set number of ads in a given game. I suppose the networks could make a second contract with an overtime contingency clause for companies that wanted to buy ad time in OT, but right now that doesn't happen. The networks also don't want the rest of their evening's program schedule to be thrown off by a longer lasting game.

If anything, change it back to sudden death.

Amen. Enough of this participation trophy everyone gets a turn. There are three phases to the game - Offense, Defense, Special Teams. Well, come OT, you better be ready for any of them.

I hated the OT rules when it was a FG to win if you gained 20-30 yards. That seemed unfair and decided on a coin toss. You need a TD to win and have to gain 60-75 yards? Play some defense and quit your bi%#$ing. The rules as is are perfect. Dont want to lose "on a coin toss"? Dont let them get 40 yards in 13 secs #1 defense in the NFL.

That, or from 2018, where that style of play beat KC in the AFC Championship and the Rams in the Super Bowl.
Yeah it just took a perfect Brady game with studs like Edelman, Gronk on offense (no one is even close to them right now on the team), while the D was full with way more talent and closer to their peek performances than what it is in 2021.

Not to start about lucky bounces like thrown INT that were called back on holding penalties or defensive offside etc.

Other teams have way more dynamic players and play also more dynamic the Pats don't have such players right now, nothing wrong with the take in my view. It is what it is, past few drafts (perhaps except 2021) were not actually great in bringing young and cheap talent into the team...

THEY HAD TO HOLD ON FOR 13 SECONDS. 13. 13 seconds.
seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Kick it so they have to return it and make a stop. It's not that hard.

I was ok with the OT rules when Brady led NE to that win in our house.

I'm ok with it now too.

NFL need not change what's broken.

Let's not forget that Brees threw away the Saints season when they got first possession in OT against LA.

Read an interesting approach in a comment from a NY Post reader this morning similar to baseball:

Change the kickoffs to visitors receive first half, home receives second half. If game results in a tie after the 4th quarter, visitor receives kickoff, home team must outscore the visitor.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, coin flip tradition.

FTR, I don't understand why regular season baseball games can't end in a tie. They play 162 games, is the math too hard?

Yeah. Team A chooses the 10 yard line. Then why wouldn't team B choose offense?

Or maybe if it's a "secret" vote team A hits the jackpot because team B chose defense at the wrong time. LOL

Dumb.
Rock Paper Scissors on steroids

Reactions: sb1
I hated the OT rules when it was a FG to win if you gained 20-30 yards. That seemed unfair and decided on a coin toss. You need a TD to win and have to gain 60-75 yards? Play some defense and quit your bi%#$ing. The rules as is are perfect. Dont want to lose "on a coin toss"? Dont let them get 40 yards in 13 secs #1 defense in the NFL.

Agree. Some media or fan bases are complaining today but the current rule is fine.

What's the chance an offense scores a TD on their first TD drive? Unless it's some insanely high rate, the current rule is fine.

If the defense can't stop a team from going 65 yards to stop a TD, then game over.

If the game is tied at the end of the 4th quarter, you continue the game in OT as though you were going from the 3rd to the 4th. Swap end zones, whoever had the ball still has the ball. No coin flip, everything sudden death from that point on. In that scenario, Buffalo receives the kickoff by default to start OT. You might say, "But that's not fair to the Chiefs!" But the Chiefs had JUST had their possession and tied it on almost a miracle. It is now Buffalo's turn. You don't want them to win on an OT field goal in that scenario? Stop them, or win in regulation.

Basically, any overtime rule is going to either be unfair to one team, or force both teams to play a lot of extra football when they've already taken a lot of hits all season. If you let it get to OT (or needed a last second FG to force OT), you can't complain when the coin doesn't fall your way.

At the start of overtime each team picks its best word nerd, then they meet at the middle of the field with Pat and Vanna for a coin toss to determine who spins first. Makes as much sense as anything else at this point.

It’s getting out of hand the NFL keeps considering changing rules to accommodate an NFL team that gave up 40+ yards in under 13 seconds starting at the 25 yard line.

Yeah it just took a perfect Brady game with studs like Edelman, Gronk on offense (no one is even close to them right now on the team), while the D was full with way more talent and closer to their peek performances than what it is in 2021.

Not to start about lucky bounces like thrown INT that were called back on holding penalties or defensive offside etc.

Other teams have way more dynamic players and play also more dynamic the Pats don't have such players right now, nothing wrong with the take in my view. It is what it is, past few drafts (perhaps except 2021) were not actually great in bringing young and cheap talent into the team...
The question was about the playing style, not if the talent level was better in 2018 vs 2021, which is an absurd question because the answer is so obvious.

If you do want to call out a difference between 2018 and 2021 it is that we had Stephon Gilmore in his prime and an overall much better set of DBs than this year's crew. You can also make the case that the 2021 era RBs are better than Burkhead and Michel especially if White didn't get injured.

In 2021 and onward the die is cast, we have Mac Jones who IMO is a top-10 level NFL QB talent but not top-4 level. TB12 ain't coming through that door. We're probably not going to win in a shoot out against the Mahomes and Allen type QBs.

IMO we pretty much have to make the 2018-era formula work, and yes, that means we need a lot more talent, on both sides of the ball.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back