PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL investigating Saints for placing bounties on players(merged X2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bountygate/Spygate comparisons

Venting is in order. So maybe we can at least keep it confined to a thread or two.

Michael Silver is currently the worst I've seen, with

Some would say Spygate is worse than the current imbroglio, because it clearly gave the Pats a competitive edge. (If not, why would they have done it in the first place?)

Like Spygate, Saints' bounty scandal hurts league - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Huh????????? How can the part I bolded apply to the Pats and not to EVERY other rule-breaker as well???!!!??? :mad::eek::confused::eek::mad:

Re: Bountygate/Spygate comparisons

It had been limited, before you started this thread.

In before merge

It wasn't much of an advantage since most of the teams we played either did the same thing (Steelers) or cheated in other ways (Colts, Panthers using HGH before the Super Bowl). These people also forget that taping defensive signals was allowed, and is still allowed, and the entire incident was blown up over where they put the cameras and not how they used them.

As long as the Patriots are one of the best teams in the league, people will try to write off their success as cheating.

Venting is in order. So maybe we can at least keep it confined to a thread or two.

Huh????????? How can the part I bolded apply to the Pats and not to EVERY other rule-breaker as well???!!!??? :mad::eek::confused::eek::mad:

your main problem, as always, is you are being rational, sane and intelligent...when are you going to come to grips with the fact that the sports media is primarily populated by malignant dwarves without a shred of physical ability, prone to grandiose ADHD like outbursts and lacking the necessary I.Q. to do anything else in life except write D minus quality hit pieces filled with shallow thinking and stilted views?

Just think for a moment, Fencer...we have yet to hear from the intergalactic seat of all idiocy, the laptop of Jason Whitlock.....

Steriodgate with Steelers should be added.

And how about adding Miamigate for the game where the Miami D knew what the play was when Brady called for changes at the LOS... Zach already said that they knew the calls and adjusted.

Re: Breaking: Saints Break Bounty Rule

the Panthers and Falcons boards are pretty mad. LOL

no, in fact a good punishment for the Aints would be to give the Patriots their second and third round picks too!

and ban them from using the franchise tag this season. THAT will show them!

looks like i was right.even some of their fans called me a troll on espn.lmao

Re: Breaking: Saints Break Bounty Rule

Next year the NFL will be investigating the Steelers and Ref-gate. ESPN will choose to ignore it like they did Roethlisberger's rapes.

I see no big deal with this Bountygate stuff. I'm sure most teams are doing it like the dirty Steelers D, Lions, Chargers, I'll even throw the Patriots in there because though the defense sucks at times, I've seen them lay some players out with some extra motivation. Sure, it sucks when someone gets injured, but lets not act like the Saints are alone in this. Same thing with Spygate that was totally blown up for no reason, all teams cheat, most/all teams are dirty at some point, because everybody needs an advantage -- football is a competitive sport.

Now when the NFL gets into the whole NBA ref situation, which I believe the refs are betting on games as well... then we have a REAL issue.

^That article is garbage.

Spygate is dead and gone and the Pats are still winning 11-14 games a year without the extra "advantage" Bountygate is worse, but it's not that big of a problem, just like Spygate.

Last edited:
^That article is garbage.

Spygate is dead and gone and the Pats are still winning 11-14 games a year without the extra "advantage" Bountygate is worse, but it's not that big of a problem, just like Spygate.

I just can't believe that he can look at this as a witch hunt but then not even attempt to view spygate the same. He can only see the media exaggeration when it applies to his own team.

i liked this part from that article

Ever wonder why Spygate was soft-pedaled? Gee, could it be a big-market bias on the part of the NFL and the media?

it's funny how every fanbase will have some fans who think the media and nfl is against them, and for other teams

literally EVERY fanbase has fans who do that

it's hilarious

i liked this part from that article

it's funny how every fanbase will have some fans who think the media and nfl is against them, and for other teams

literally EVERY fanbase has fans who do that

it's hilarious

This is true and I'm guilty of it myself. I'm a Red Sox fan and when I watched Sunday night baseball, the old announcing crew (Joe Morgan and Jon Miller) came off as huge Yankee fans. Imagine my surprise when I some message board posts from NY fans complaining about how the Sunday night guys hate their team.

Here is the problem for clever fans and media members who use the "If it didn't help, why would they do it?" argument: Not everything a coaching staff does to prepare their team actually helps on the field. They may think or hope it does, but merely doing something does not translate to an advantage.

Take the 0-16 Lions as an example. Nothing that team did to prepare helped it win a game. I'd have to imagine that around game 12, when going winless was a real possibility, the coaches tried different things. It could have been longer practices, or more days off, or putting more gadget plays in the game plan, or shaking up the routine schedule. In the end, none of it helped them win a game.

It would be foolish to say that there's no advantage to practicing because the 2008 Lions practiced and didn't win at all.

Don't be an idiot. He can't take away something they don't own any longer. I agree Goodell over reacted to the video taping violation, but it's time to quit crying over spilt milk. There will be draft picks lost and fines levied and in this instance suspension handed down. And they will put what came before in some better perspective going forward.

I know. I'm not crying over spilt milk. Just a 1st Rder.

Of those comparing the two events, many fans who dislike the Pats play the 'NFL covered up; therefore it must have been bad' line in their logic.

Looks like those on the other side of the fence have a counter-argument now.

NFL Network pulls plug on Vikings-Saints replay | ProFootballTalk

A replay of the 2009 Vikings-Saints NFC title game had been set for Monday at 3:00 p.m. ET on NFL Network. And NFL Network yanked it.

Let’s repeat that. NFLN yanked the game.

Correct or not, it creates the impression that the league has some concern about showing the game again. Which creates the impression that the league should be concerned.

And that creates the impression that the league fears the outcome of Super Bowl XLIV has been tainted, because it creates the impression that the league perhaps thinks that the Saints won a berth in the game via improper methods.​

Kinda avoided commenting too deeply into this so as not to pile on. I so hated that when other fans did that over spygate.

The more I see of this the more disgusting it is. It's BY FAR worse then anything Bill was accused of doing, yet when you read articles like this one.

Gregg Williams' special way of connecting with players may lead to his downfall - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

It's paints Williams as the "misunderstood genius that just got a little carried away" by paying his players to put other players careers at risk. Yet, when spygate went down (and continuing to this day), BB was painted as the Devil's incarnate for not having his camera in the right part of the building. :confused:

So infuriating.

I too grow weary of explaining Spygate to clueless fans who are either ignorant or feigning ignorance suggesting that Spygate is worse than this, but I think it's worthwhile to use the opportunity to set the record straight

The NFL allows signal taping. They did then, and they do now. Belichick's fault was thumbing his nose at the 2006 rule which prohibited it from the sidelines. Are fans still confused about this? Do fans really not notice ALL coordinators covering their mouths when calling in plays even today?

Paying players to take out other players both cheats the salary cap, like the Broncos did during their Super Bowl years (which resulted in a $2 million fine and the loss of a draft pick) and puts the health and safety of players at risk.

If fans think the placement of cameras is more important than that they've got some serious problems.

Last edited:
It took a car ride home while listening to a Jax station with a known "Pats fan" agreeing with a caller that taping walkthroughs was worse than Bountygate. That's the problem. Every Pats fan knows our side. It's the ones that need the broadcast money that keep fueling spygate. We have no leg. No help. Nothing.

The Saints battle will become our battle once again. Because it will be ignored. And that is why I will remain angry that neither Bill or Robert spoke honestly about the league-wide effect spygate had when it all came out. If I can say one thing about the NFL now, class is a forgotten concept.

It took a car ride home while listening to a Jax station with a known "Pats fan" agreeing with a caller that taping walkthroughs was worse than Bountygate. That's the problem. Every Pats fan knows our side. It's the ones that need the broadcast money that keep fueling spygate. We have no leg. No help. Nothing.

The Saints battle will become our battle once again. Because it will be ignored. And that is why I will remain angry that neither Bill or Robert spoke honestly about the league-wide effect spygate had when it all came out. If I can say one thing about the NFL now, class is a forgotten concept.

taping walkthroughs???????????????????????????????????????????????

When did the Patriots ever tape walkthroughs?????????????????

That is some real Moron vs. Moron stuff on the radio down there.......

He's not much of a Patsfan if he's not aware Tomase's story about taping walk throughs was a myth, though George Halas and Lamar Hunt were famous for that.

Of course, that's the last thing Goodell wants to remind fans about. Better to find a scapegoat and make believe that it's only recently that anything questionable took place lest fans demand an asterisk on every season since the inception of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes