PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL investigating Saints for placing bounties on players(merged X2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supporting a harsh sentence against the Saints would seem to me to be supporting the so-called "flag football" fines. These two things are closely linked. I am not sure you one can support one and not the other with your integrity in tact. Certainly on Goodell's part, a failure to act will undercut all he has hoped to accomplish in his tenure since this money would directly offset the fines the NFL imposes for overly rough play.

As far as punishment goes, I'd like to see some portion of lost draft picks awarded to teams who were directly impacted and some portion of fines given out to players who suffered career-ending injuries as a result of these bounties. I'd like to see some level of reparations enforced for justice to prevail. However, I doubt that this will occur. The NFL has no vested interest in justice.

Supporting a harsh sentence against the Saints would seem to me to be supporting the so-called "flag football" fines. These two things are closely linked. I am not sure you one can support one and not the other with your integrity in tact...

Since one has nothing to do with the other except in the minds of those talking about "culture", of course you can support one and not the other with your integrity in tact.

Rex Ryan has said he often has a bounty during the game!

They're his favourite chocolate bar...

(apologies if this joke has already been made, but too many pages to check!)

EDIT: Seems Bounty isn't marketed in the US! So here's a picture!

300px-Bounty-Wrapper-Small.jpg

I loved them when I was in Kuwait! Deus is right. Much better than the American counterparts.

Supporting a harsh sentence against the Saints would seem to me to be supporting the so-called "flag football" fines. These two things are closely linked. I am not sure you one can support one and not the other with your integrity in tact.

Not really unless you also subscribe to the theory that.....

You can't support putting people in jail for armed robbery of a gas station AND also feel that the gas stations are exploitive in their pricing.

Since one has nothing to do with the other except in the minds of those talking about "culture", of course you can support one and not the other with your integrity in tact.

I am looking at it from a financial incentives standpoint. I guess you could call that "culture". The fines exist to directly oppose what the bounty monies were funding. Many people were advocating a pooling of funds to cover NFL fines on players. The only difference here is the premeditated nature.

To me it is a fine line, but if someone wants to play the "its against the Goodell Rules" card, I suppose they can.

Not really unless you also subscribe to the theory that.....

You can't support putting people in jail for armed robbery of a gas station AND also feel that the gas stations are exploitive in their pricing.

Your metaphor doesn't really work. It really has nothing in common with the financial dichotomy at work here. I think you missed the point entirely.

I am looking at it from a financial incentives standpoint. I guess you could call that "culture". The fines exist to directly oppose what the bounty monies were funding. Many people were advocating a pooling of funds to cover NFL fines on players. The only difference here is the premeditated nature.

To me it is a fine line, but if someone wants to play the "its against the Goodell Rules" card, I suppose they can.

I oppose the way in which the defenseless receiver penalty is being called. I oppose the way they are overprotecting the quarterbacks. I'm also fine with an 'incentive' system, solely among willing players, that pools money for big hits, ints, TDs, FFs, etc...

I'm absolutely opposed to bounties on players and money for injuries.

I oppose the way in which the defenseless receiver penalty is being called. I oppose the way they are overprotecting the quarterbacks. I'm also fine with an 'incentive' system, solely among willing players, that pools money for big hits, ints, TDs, FFs, etc...

I'm absolutely opposed to bounties on players and money for injuries.

Too rational.
No wonder you're a critic of Roger Goodell, as he only agrees with your last point.

why yes..yes I did...it was a graveyard smash....our second line of defense was called "the crypt kicker five"...heh...gotta be older than dirt to remember this...

Sorry for the digression... that 45 was my first record... I remember getting it from Child World in Middletown, RI on a rack by the doors. Probably in 1972 when I was 3 years old. I remember a parrot on the label.... just looked it up, and sure enough, Mr. Pickett was on Parrot Records (Parrot Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I'd love to know if Bernard Pollard has ever collected a bounty...

Very sorry for the late reply, as some know I have been in training in the appalachian mountains , and really didn't know the full extent of what was going on with the Saints.
I think like most fans of NO I just blindly believed in the boys and organization. Its a tradition that dates back to 3 years and forever before that. When we just lost but believed they would get better.

I think most of us are still in denial. The alternative is counter to our culture, and it really hurts.
But, reading more, it seems its true……

and thats almost impossible for me to say. We are not like this, we don't condone this, and its very embarrassing.
That our coaches and players tried to hurt other players,, is simply unbelievable .

Its not how we as fans conduct ourselves, and we are completely in shock that this is really true.
Its our responsibility as fans to apologize for our teams behavior, and petition to have our own coaches and players be held responsible for their actions. And if that means removing Sean Payton, and returning to losing, that is fine with us.
Saints have always been close to our hearts as sports fans, because at least we knew when we lost our owner and players where always sportsmen and respectful.
Winning is not worth this kind of behavior, and we will not stand for it.

I really don't know what to say, but sorry. Apparently this was going on when we played you, and I am really sorry.
Brady could have been hurt by our teams completely inappropriate actions.
What the NFL decides to do can not be enough to stop this kind of behavior on the field. But we as fans must find those responsible, and make them accountable.

Please try to understand most Saints fans still can't even fathom we did this, its so counter to how we love football.

We apologize for our teams actions.

Last edited:
The Saints are the luckiest franchise on earth to have this all break on the cusp or free agency. Is anyone paying attention?

One has to wonder, if Goodell took this long with his BS Spygate 'investigation' would it have all blown over like this apparently has? I know the 24 hour news cycle leads us to beat stuff into the ground but we also drop things quickly when the next big story hits.

We are a fan base that love our team, but we are not blinded by our love either. Wether the NFL does its job to fine us, or punish wrong doing, we as NO fans will do what we can to make sure its a team we can be proud of.

We have been voted as the best fans in sports a number of times, and thats when we were losing. Hopefully we can band together again as fans and make our boys understand that this is not the kind of team that we want in New Orleans, and the conduct is not something that is acceptable to us.
Its already starting , and I think we can.
NFL, Saints are role models for younger teams: A letter to the editor | NOLA.com

Hopefully we understand that sometimes being a fan means you have to change the bad, and accept it along with the good. Our team made a mistake, they deserve punishment for that. IF the NFL buries this, we can not. Its important to us that we love our team for the right reasons, its just our culture. I think it means a lot to the fans of NE that Brady is of high moral character also. This kind of thing is very embarrassing to us. Mr Benson is a good man, I think he understands this. WE need to correct our behavior , and we didn't deserve to be in the SB, its not worth it. WE work very hard to make other fans and their families welcome in our home, this undermines us all. This is not NO football, we are not proud of this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back