PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL free agency and trades thread, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I want a guy who can play both outside and inside. Rowe I see as a match up specific CB. He will have a role most games and I am fine with him being the #2 provided the match up makes sense. However what if they have 2 speedy/quick outside WRs? Not uncommon. I certainly would not want Rowe to cover such a guy on the outside nor would I would him in the slot.

Interesting. I assumed that Cyrus Jones would be the player called on in those situations which is the reason I feel like inside corner is more of a need than outside. But that's mostly because Rowe still has 2 years (?) of contract left and supposedly the coaches like him.

Curious where all of this will go at the end of the month.

Well I want a guy who can play both outside and inside. Rowe I see as a match up specific CB. He will have a role most games and I am fine with him being the #2 provided the match up makes sense. However what if they have 2 speedy/quick outside WRs? Not uncommon. I certainly would not want Rowe to cover such a guy on the outside nor would I would him in the slot.
It's not hard to find a guy who can play outside and inside but I think what you mean to say is, you want a guy who plays well outside and inside. Guys like that don't grow on trees and they get big contracts because everyone wants a guy who plays well outside and inside.

I came across a very interesting evaluation of free agency that I wanted to share. The site I looked at had a grade for each FA from last season regardless of position. This is how they ranked;

Rank - Grade - Player
Pats returning FAs
22 - 85.7 - Hightower
26 - 85.2 - Develin
59 - 80.4 - Branch
103 - 76.3 - Harmon

Other Pats FA pickups
104 - 76.2 - Guy
127 - 74.5 - Burkhead
142 - 73.2 - Gilmore (this doesn't look good)

Pats FA losses
36 - 83.3 Ryan (Titans)
180 - 70.3 - Long (Philly)
302 - 58.7 - Mingo (Indy)

And for a little perspective ...
5 - 88.6 - Malcolm Butler

It's only a matter of time. Players that are recovering from/ previously had knee surgery is more intriguing to BB than the 3-cone drill @ the combine lol. Jk

Last edited:
If he's recovering well enough, I would sign him; and it doesn't impact our compensatory status either.

I came across a very interesting evaluation of free agency that I wanted to share. The site I looked at had a grade for each FA from last season regardless of position. This is how they ranked;

Rank - Grade - Player
Pats returning FAs
22 - 85.7 - Hightower
26 - 85.2 - Develin
59 - 80.4 - Branch
103 - 76.3 - Harmon

Other Pats FA pickups
104 - 76.2 - Guy
127 - 74.5 - Burkhead
142 - 73.2 - Gilmore (this doesn't look good)

Pats FA losses
36 - 83.3 Ryan (Titans)
180 - 70.3 - Long (Philly)
302 - 58.7 - Mingo (Indy)

And for a little perspective ...
5 - 88.6 - Malcolm Butler

What that site really tells you is the ridiculousness of "grades."

Gillislee would be a really nice pickup.

A lot of mileage left in his legs and a 5.7 YPC average on 101 carries for a team with no credible passing game is nothing to turn your nose up at.

Love the player this was suggested at the begining of free agency.
Would we cough up A 5th vs signing Blount Peterson or Charles?

Aww shucks!!! Now we can't run for 250+ & 4TDs against the Colts anymore :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok, maybe 180+ & 3TDs.

Aww shucks!!! Now we can't run for 250+ & 4TDs against the Colts anymore :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok, maybe 180+ & 3TDs.

The Giants were reportedly only offering him $7m per, so that's a huge increase, if all reports are accurate.

Hate to admit, but the Colts finally made a good move to improve their defense. Them getting a defense means them becoming a January team again. (Though not a February team of course.)

Colts could win the AFC South and maybe 1 playoff round with this FA class and a good draft but they're 2 good drafts away from being a contender in my opinion.

Grigson just left too many holes to fill in 1 off season.

Colts could win the AFC South and maybe 1 playoff round with this FA class and a good draft but they're 2 good drafts away from being a contender in my opinion.

Grigson just left too many holes to fill in 1 off season.
Without any predictions, I'd like to see what Luck could do with a good O-Line, which is something Grigson had never addressed. He is a good person, from my point of view with a lot of talent

Gillislee would be a really nice pickup.

A lot of mileage left in his legs and a 5.7 YPC average on 101 carries for a team with no credible passing game is nothing to turn your nose up at.

Don't think the Bills will let us steal another RFA from them after the Hogan debacle last year. But then again its the Bills and Doug Whaley..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST