PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL free agency and trades thread, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangold could have put his stated minimums or 'wants' out and is still waiting for a bite.

I really want us to try to get a deal with him (we keep Andrews as well). This assumes he's affordable.

This sis really the first off season that Andrews can dedicate to a weight room orientation. Lets see if has beefed up to 305 -310 pounds and what he looks like at that weight...

julian-edelmann-breaking-cowboys-ankles.gif

That gif is just dirty... Man, I love Edelman.

This sis really the first off season that Andrews can dedicate to a weight room orientation. Lets see if has beefed up to 305 -310 pounds and what he looks like at that weight...
Why couldn't he do that last year?

I know. None of the players I mentioned were involved in a trade - the extra piece I'm thinking of is Sheard.

Wrong.. Here is your quote.
Maybe Mingo cancels Burkhead, Ryan cancels Gilmore, Bennett cancels Allen - maybe they're in line for a 4th round comp pick right now?

That highlighted part is where you made your error.. You said Bennett cancels Allen..

You're clearly talking about Comp Picks. Well, Allen was acquired via trade. So how can you say that "None of the players I mentioned were involved in a trade" when that is how they acquired Allen?

What I find perplexing is that your post was in direct response to @The Gr8est who had just posted exactly who was lost and yet, you said Allen..

Why couldn't he do that last year?

He was fresh off the PS squad as an UDFA, had to adapt to the NFL, and had to learn the playbook; and win the Center position over Stork.

He was fresh off the PS squad as an UDFA, had to adapt to the NFL, and had to learn the playbook; and win the Center position over Stork.

He started 11 games in 2015 (all wins) :cool:

He then had the 2016 offseason to bulk up.

He then played 15 games with brady and went 14-1 :cool:

Huh? He started something like 10 games the year before, he wasn't in the practice squad.
Regardless why would any of that prevent him from working out?

Wrong.. Here is your quote.

That highlighted part is where you made your error.. You said Bennett cancels Allen..

You're clearly talking about Comp Picks. Well, Allen was acquired via trade. So how can you say that "None of the players I mentioned were involved in a trade" when that is how they acquired Allen?

What I find perplexing is that your post was in direct response to @The Gr8est who had just posted exactly who was lost and yet, you said Allen..

My bad - brain fart. Was thinking Allen was a free agent. Forgot all about his three years...

Even better - are we in position for two picks at this point?

Bills sign Andre Holmes to 3 year deal worth a total of 6.5 Mill great signing for them.
Wanted to see him here.

My bad - brain fart. Was thinking Allen was a free agent. Forgot all about his three years...

Even better - are we in position for two picks at this point?

My count is one.. 4th/5th rounder..

LOST:
Ryan - 10M AAV
Bennett - 7M AAV
Sheard - 8.5M AAV
Mingo - 2.5M AAV

Signed:
Gilmore - 14M AAV
Burkhead - 3.15M AAV
Lawrence Guy - 3.35M AAV

As it stands, imho, the Pats would be looking at a 4th for Sheard.. However, this could be bumped up because of the money different between Guy and Bennett.. Also, depending on how players play will also make a minor difference in where they fall in the scheme of comp pick slots.

Some thoughts.

If the Pats trade Butler there are still some pretty good starting #2 CBs out there if they want them. Flowers, Hall, Revis all make sense to give a shot and none should be overly expensive.

Some good Centers still out there though they would likely be 1 year rentals.

At this point though it almost feels like teams are on hold till the draft comes.

Want to mention four players who are still young that could be had for the right money I believe:
Would still consider LB Zach Brown. We need more speed. He had a breakout year in 2016 and think he could still be relatively in-expensive. We all know DH will miss a game or two. Van Noy is decent but who would you rather? There is room for both Brown et.al. He's 27.

My other FA/Trade pick ups would be Mychal Kendrick of the Eagles. Most athletic LB they have but not a fit on their "D". Could be had for a 5th Rounder trade....Why not! Better gamble in round 5 than a rookie. He would be our most athletic LB too and excels in coverage. We need more speed at LB. Again could be a steal and only 26 with some very good tape.

A sleeper? Teams are missing the boat on Devin Taylor DE the lions. 6'8" 276LBS and had 7 sacks in 2015 and 4.5 in 2016. Only 26. Should take a two year deal. Still need a replacement for both Sheard and Long and we got one back in Ealy. Guy is more of an interior player. We need a DE yet.

Typical under the radar BB pick up.

Still think Floyd is coming back on a cheap prove it deal after his suspension. Too much talent to waste over a million dollars for a game and a half. He made some plays. That give 6 WR which is not unusual to have on your roster. He is insurance for when, not if Dola or JE get dinged,

Still want Butler back.
DW Toys

Bills sign Andre Holmes to 3 year deal worth a total of 6.5 Mill great signing for them.
Wanted to see him here.

I've been wishing he had worked out here for a couple years now but it's no great loss. Kamar Aiken too.

Some thoughts.

If the Pats trade Butler there are still some pretty good starting #2 CBs out there if they want them. Flowers, Hall, Revis all make sense to give a shot and none should be overly expensive.

Some good Centers still out there though they would likely be 1 year rentals.

At this point though it almost feels like teams are on hold till the draft comes.

So you have no trust in Rowe being a capable (outside) corner ? We essentially know that he will not be particularly good inside so that's off the table anyway.

So you have no trust in Rowe being a capable (outside) corner ? We essentially know that he will not be particularly good inside so that's off the table anyway.

Well I want a guy who can play both outside and inside. Rowe I see as a match up specific CB. He will have a role most games and I am fine with him being the #2 provided the match up makes sense. However what if they have 2 speedy/quick outside WRs? Not uncommon. I certainly would not want Rowe to cover such a guy on the outside nor would I would him in the slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call