PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL free agency and trades thread, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a part 1 around somewhere, but I can't find it. Anywhere, here's a place to put the moves.

Five years ago, Scott Pioli drafted Dontari Poe in Kansas City. With Poe a free agent, Pioli has helped bring Poe to Atlanta, where Pioli now serves as assistant G.M.

Per a league source, the Falcons have agreed to terms with Poe, who drew interest from several cities after becoming a free agent last week.

Falcons land Dontari Poe

I think he would have been a great fit in New England.

FA has wrapped up for a lot of spots. The notable exceptions are NT/DT (big bodies), Center and ILB. Still some very important signings but less sexy to the casual fan.

Falcons land Dontari Poe

I think he would have been a great fit in New England.

Interesting on a speed based D they pick up arguably the slowing guy in Free Agency. I like the player and he makes them better but I wonder on his full time role. Anything that takes Grady Jarrett off the field can't be a good thing. You would think this would not impact him.

So if I remember correctly the Pats have signed:

Stephen Gilmore
Rex Burkhead
Lawrence Guy

And lost:

Logan Ryan
Barkevious Mingo

Did I miss anyone?

Currently, the Pats are not in line to get any comp picks right?

Stephen Gilmore
Rex Burkhead
Lawrence Guy

And lost:

Logan Ryan
Barkevious Mingo

Did I miss anyone?

Marellus Bennet gone
Dwayne Allen Signed

Chris Long gone
Kony Ealy signed

Stephen Gilmore
Rex Burkhead
Lawrence Guy

And lost:

Logan Ryan
Barkevious Mingo

Did I miss anyone?

Martellus Bennett signed with Green Bay

Jabaal Sheard signed with the Colts

Chris Long has not signed elsewhere, but said he would not return.

Kony Ealy, Dwayne Allen and Brandin Cooks were brought in on trades.

Poe's deal was 1 year for $8m, and can reach $10m with incentives.

Interesting on a speed based D they pick up arguably the slowing guy in Free Agency. I like the player and he makes them better but I wonder on his full time role. Anything that takes Grady Jarrett off the field can't be a good thing. You would think this would not impact him.

He may not be fast compared to every player in the NFL but let's not forget that he tore up the Combine years ago considering his weight. That was his "thing", being fast for a fat dude.

There are teams with notably bad offensive lines, Seahawks, Colts, just a few examples, so the fact that Mangold is still a free agent is a little weird, is he still recovering from an injury before taking a physical?

Mangold could have put his stated minimums or 'wants' out and is still waiting for a bite.

I really want us to try to get a deal with him (we keep Andrews as well). This assumes he's affordable.

Martellus Bennett signed with Green Bay

Jabaal Sheard signed with the Colts

Chris Long has not signed elsewhere, but said he would not return.

Kony Ealy, Dwayne Allen and Brandin Cooks were brought in on trades.

Thanx!

So with the loss of Sheard and Bennett, the Pats should be looking at one comp pick. How high depends on who cancels out who.

We have reached a 4-year agreement with CB Brandon Carr.

Brandon Carr signing a 1-year deal with series of options to make it a 4-year, $24M deal w/ Ravens, per source. Likely a 2-year, $12M deal

Last edited:
Thanx!

So with the loss of Sheard and Bennett, the Pats should be looking at one comp pick. How high depends on who cancels out who.

Lost:

Ryan
Bennett
Sheard

Got:

Ealy (trade)
Cooks (trade)
Gilmore
Burkhead
Allen

Long, Blount, still out there.

FYI -- Over the Cap is tracking projected 2018 Compensatory picks. Currently they have NE receiving a 4th round pick for Sheard, and the other picks cancelling out (Gilmore for Ryan, Burkhead for Bennett, Guy for Mingo).

NFL Draft Resources and Contract Estimates

Branch and Brown were better last year......he's going to help much more in ATL

Branch and Brown are also considerably more versatile them him. He is pretty damn good at the 0-tech but the farther you start lining him up from that the worse he gets. He is almost the prototypical player that BB avoids in the draft/FA. Wrong era of football..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back