PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

What's happening (or not happening) may be a result of BB having seen enough of Mac to see he'll improve enough in year 2 to carry the team. So he keeps the skill players the same and focuses on filling holes in the D (his specialty) in the draft (CB, DT, DE, LB).

This still doesn't explain what's happening with the OL. Why trade Shaq when you've already let Karras and possibly Brown walk. I get he provides cap relief but why there?

What's happening (or not happening) may be a result of BB having seen enough of Mac to see he'll improve enough in year 2 to carry the team. So he keeps the skill players the same and focuses on filling holes in the D (his specialty) in the draft (CB, DT, DE, LB).

This still doesn't explain what's happening with the OL. Why trade Shaq when you've already let Karras and possibly Brown walk. I get he provides cap relief but why there?
It also doesn't explain letting the CB1 go in free agency.

So he's making as difficult as he can, so Mac shows his grit

i get it now

Bengals took 2 years to rebuild and get to the supe bowl

Bills took 3 years to get to the AFC Championship game

But we have to wait until year 4 in 2023 for us to be a contender. And what's actually gonna change? Will the Bengals and Bills and Chargers go away?

Will other teams not rise up?

What? The Bills took 27 years to get back to the AFC Championship and the Bengals took 33 years to get back to the Super Bowl.

A $120M deal averaging $20M a year with a first year hit of only $6M means the later hits must be pretty gross.
This is what I've been trying to emphasize. The years 4-6 aren't real years, they are there only to soak up the cap hits from the first 3 years, which means that year 4 is doomsday. The dead cap hit is going to be at least $24m, and that's if he has no incentives.

It's really a 3 year $52m deal but with the bonuses pushed back, $17m per. The salaries that push it to $120m will never ever be paid or else he'd count for $45m against the cap

Let me start off by saying I dont watch tape of the OL.

BUT it seemed to me that Mason wasnt as good last year as he was in previous ones. Im sure some guys could point to analytics and prove me wrong or maybe right but Mason just didn't seem to be as "dominant" as years past.

If this is the case, it may be simply that BB doesn't value him at his price anymore and needed the cap space. It is also a position that the Pats have been historically pretty good at drafting so BB is confident that they can spend a mid round draft pick and find his replacement plus the cap savings..

It does if he thinks he can get a sure fire CB#1 w/ #21.

That still wouldn't do it. You'd want to keep the two CB1s in a case where the second one was on a rookie deal.

Let me start off by saying I dont watch tape of the OL.

BUT it seemed to me that Mason wasnt as good last year as he was in previous ones. Im sure some guys could point to analytics and prove me wrong or maybe right but Mason just didn't seem to be as "dominant" as years past.

If this is the case, it may be simply that BB doesn't value him at his price anymore and needed the cap space. It is also a position that the Pats have been historically pretty good at drafting so BB is confident that they can spend a mid round draft pick and find his replacement plus the cap savings..
Probably but there's the whole chemistry & communications factor between the QB and amongst the OL that I would think suffers when you lose 3 starters (potentially).

Probably but there's the whole chemistry & communications factor between the QB and amongst the OL that I would think suffers when you lose 3 starters (potentially).
Unless they are switching offensive philosophy up a bit.
Without Josh there.
Maybe they saw enough of Mac where they are running more of a Bama offense this year.
However you still need good players.
But maybe they need to teach new concepts and verbiage that they feel they can basically start fresh with the OL.
Or Oline coach Patricia thinks he can coach up anyone to play.

Is this FA going slow still? Or is it just me? It’s been pretty dead today. Was dead yesterday too outside of the Adams trade.

ad1 - I cant believe im reading pages and pages of discussion about “Kraft is cheap / Bill has to ask Kraft / Its Kraft's wallet“ BS :)
Cap Space IS THE WALLET. Bill (like every other GM more or less) is free to spend it how he sees fit. That is what he is paid for.
One big reason Cap Space exists is that owners dont have to worry about money spent.

ad2 - The salivating over Van Der Esch and hating on Bentley says a lot about this board as well.

ad1 - I cant believe im reading pages and pages of discussion about “Kraft is cheap / Bill has to ask Kraft / Its Kraft's wallet“ BS :)
Cap Space IS THE WALLET. Bill (like every other GM more or less) is free to spend it how he sees fit. That is what he is paid for.
One big reason Cap Space exists is that owners dont have to worry about money spent.

ad2 - The salivating over Van Der Esch and hating on Bentley says a lot about this board as well.
I disagree. The Cap is more like the ledger. But even as the wallet, it carries cash and credit cards. So far, Bill is only using the cash and not the CCs.

I disagree. The Cap is more like the ledger. But even as the wallet, it carries cash and credit cards. So far, Bill is only using the cash and not the CCs.
Well isn't guaranteed money automatically put into escrow and usually signing bonuses are paid out immediately (although seems the Saints found a way to give it out as salary but I don't know what that's about). So if the rumors are true then it's not about Bill only using cash but about avoiding those 2 things because they require liquid cash immediately. Am I getting that right? I'm not sure if that's actually what's happening with Kraft but it could be after last year and the new stadium costs. By not using huge bonuses in cash they are very much 'locked in' by the real cap. If that is even what's happening here.

Yeah - with a 28-25 career record. Woo hoo.

Josh Allen was 15-12 in his first 2 seasons, 24-9 since. Is it wrong to say Buffalo's roster has improved in that time along with Allen's development?

Watson was 24-13 in his first 3 seasons before his 4-12 year. Considering O'Brien traded Hopkins for David Johnson and a pick they swapped for Cooks, got fired a month into the season and the defense was terrible, I'm curious to know what you feel would have been acceptable results for Deshaun that year.

Why aren't the Cowboys keeping Lael Collins? Someone explain that to me.

Why aren't the Cowboys keeping Lael Collins? Someone explain that to me.

He was suspended last year for five games. While he was gone, his replacement was excellent. So they are going with the younger and cheaper option.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back