PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Landry is a smart player and is getting up there he wouldn't be smart if he came here. His talents are needed on a contender Landry would fit perfectly on KC surrounded by all that Speed. A Team with SB aspirations should land him not a rebuilding Team sorry Mac.
I agree generally any player looking to play for a serious contender should avoid New England completely at this point.

Players Gained:
- Drew Desjarlais - This was a MUTUAL deal. Desjarlais chose the Patriots after trying out for 11 teams in the league. He was one of the top guards in the CFL the last 2 years.
- Terrance Mitchell - He's had 23 PDs the last 2 years on 175 targets between Houston and Cleveland. Opposing QBs have completed 103 passing on the 175 targets for a 58.9% completion. That's the good news. Bad news is that he's only got 1 interception in that time while giving up 11 TDs. This has the potential to be a low risk/high reward signing if the Pats can Help him with his hands.
- Ty Montgomery - WR/RB/ KR- He's a partial replacement for Bolden. I say Partial because Bolden playing on the end of the line of the Punt Coverage unit.
- Mack Wilson - Fast, Sideline to Sideline LB who can cover TEs/RBs. He'll benefit from the tutelage of one of the best in Jerod Mayo.
Seriously none of these players are likely to have any impact on the team.
Desjarlais - no NFL experience
Mitchell - 6th team since 2015
Montgomery - hasn't scored a TD or surpassed 200 total yards since 2018
Wilson - I'll take your word for it... never heard of him before the trade

Raiders are now legitimate players in that Division what a move... Josh is keeping up with the Jones's hello BB.
On paper I don't think there's ever been a division as remarkably good as the AFC West. They may have 4 of the top 10-12 teams in the entire league at this point.

It’d be helpful if you could link the exact tweets. Some people got their blue check for a reason other than reporting on football news but try to do it anyway. Some lesser known reporters don’t have the blue checks but are still generally trustworthy.
I can't find the tweet now.

He Must've deleted.

Nvm my comment

Yeah - with a 28-25 career record. Woo hoo.
Deshaun Watson puts Atlanta or New Orleans in the postseason. Tampa Bay still wins that division but Watson is impactful enough and the NFC is weak enough where either of those teams becomes a playoff team.

Terms are going to upset some people….

McCourty is getting paid twice as much. In consideration of on-field contributions, Bentley is the better deal.

Well isn't guaranteed money automatically put into escrow and usually signing bonuses are paid out immediately (although seems the Saints found a way to give it out as salary but I don't know what that's about). So if the rumors are true then it's not about Bill only using cash but about avoiding those 2 things because they require liquid cash immediately. Am I getting that right? I'm not sure if that's actually what's happening with Kraft but it could be after last year and the new stadium costs. By not using huge bonuses in cash they are very much 'locked in' by the real cap. If that is even what's happening here.
Yes but that liquid cash doesn't come from the wallet cash (a portion does), you have to use a CC to pay it back from future wallets (dead money). Lol, I didn't come up w/ the wallet term.

Oversimplifyng:

1. The 2022 wallet gets $208M
2. You remove the 2022 CC charges from previous years (dead money already paid, say $18M).
3. You then pay existing contracts cap charges (say $60M).
4. You hide $10M in secret pocket for rookies, et all.
5. Now the wallet has $20M to sign/re-sign players (cap space)
6. You want a player that'll cost you $20M in 2022 ($80M total in 4 years). So you pull out the CC to spread the $20M over the 4 years. So you only have to remove $5M from the 2022 wallet. The other $15M goes on the card (future dead money).
7. Now you have $15M left in the wallet.

But the CC is issued by Kraft and the $15M ($20 - $5 from wallet) payment is due immediately.

The cap is more like a ledger than a wallet. Kraft is the wallet since he's paying for it all. But he can end up paying $300M instead of the $208M if you use that CC too much which is what happened last year.

At least that's the way I understand it (w/o getting into the weeds of all the different charges).

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back