PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

So, what is bills plan with Mac Jones on a rookie contract? What will happen if he is good and demands a market QB salary when his contract is up?

Why are you worried about 3 years from now? You do realize that NEXT year, there is going to be a large jump in the salary cap. Anywhere from 18-40M. And that the years of the cap going up just 5-7% are probably gone.. They're talking the new norm will be in the 10-14% range.

The Patriots will have the money to pay Jones when the time is right.

Thinking about this, Joe Judge will know how well Ryan actually did last year. If the rumors of the Patriots moving primarily to zone are true, this signing might make sense if he still has something. Experience in the system, can play free safety and interchange with McCourty on some plays at CB. Not the ideal solution, but a potential one.
There aren’t rumors that the patriots are moving primarily to zone, there was one guy who tweeted they might based upon a guy they signed to compete for a chance to make the roster.

So, what is bills plan with Mac Jones on a rookie contract? What will happen if he is good and demands a market QB salary when his contract is up?

Can we worry about that in four years after he played his fifth year option?

The bolded may be the issue. Possibly the Pats don’t want to go all-in on him until they see him perform this year and are convinced he can be good rather than decent. Then they have years 3-4 of the rookie deal and the 5th year option, and year 1 of a long term deal where they do defer large bonuses.

Why are you worried about 3 years from now? You do realize that NEXT year, there is going to be a large jump in the salary cap. Anywhere from 18-40M. And that the years of the cap going up just 5-7% are probably gone.. They're talking the new norm will be in the 10-14% range.

The Patriots will have the money to pay Jones when the time is right.

Four years from now. The Pats have the fifth year option and then the franchise tag in the sixth year.

Besides, we are all worried about the Bills and their dominance, but Josh Allen is already on his second contract. So is Mahomes. Stafford is on what contract three or four?

There aren’t rumors that the patriots are moving primarily to zone, there was one guy who tweeted they might based upon a guy they signed to compete for a chance to make the roster.
Fine, rumor then instead of rumors. :)

Guess all that talk of 2020 being the outlier reset year and we were rebuilding ahead of schedule in 2021 was a load of crap. What a shock.

A lot of people bought into the 7 game winning streak as the real team. That's not helping.

Literally everything we’ve been told about the salary cap for years was a lie.
Literally, no it wasn't. And you citing Allen Robinson to the Rams and claiming it is says you don't know enough to be making that determination.

Fact is that the Rams could free up 35M without extending anyone. Just doing salary to signing bonus for Ramsey, Donald, Kupp and Woods.

The Saints is the biggest WTF for me. They cleared close to 100 Mil in cap space
Yep.. Pushed that into the next 3 years of cap.. So they are already OVER the 2023 projected cap by $16M. They also took huge chunks from 2024 and 2025.

I read somewhere that only the Pats don't have the Automatic change of Salary to Signing cap in their contracts. Meaning they still have to get player's permission. That means the Rams could have easily done that with Donald, Ramsey, Kupp and Woods. They could have also given Matthew Stafford an extension, which would free up money.
That is interesting, I haven't read that. I wonder why that is. Do they think it's a competitive advantage in negotiations?

Four years from now. The Pats have the fifth year option and then the franchise tag in the sixth year.

Besides, we are all worried about the Bills and their dominance, but Josh Allen is already on his second contract. So is Mahomes. Stafford is on what contract three or four?

There will be no BS options, tags.. Either long term contract that keeps him on cheap cap for 2 more years (6 in total) or auf wiedersehen..

I doubt that the Rams will repeat, but they will be hell on offense adding Robinson.

Its a WR driven league. Thank God he didnt land in KC.

Weird how the Rams always find money and are on the verge of paying the bill but we are always responsibly building a team. Starting to think other teams have passed Bill in how to manage the cap as effectively as possible
I was going to point out the record of the patriots compared to other teams. That would be useless. You can't even remember last year.

Proposing that free agency and early season moves makes NO difference seems to be your point. I disagree. BB is not infallible at team building. Far from it. He has made numerous mistakes, as you well know. We do not know details on these players...that is true. However, the thought that no judgments can be made about roster building until the day after the Super Bowl in 2023 would make being a fan a lot less fun. We all like to think we know more than we actually do. I could be 1000% wrong or you could be 1000% wrong. No one knows. I can promise you that I will not engage in name calling or belittling posts. That is a waste of time. Feel free to ignore.
Try READING what is said. No where did I say that free agency and early season moves make no difference. My point was that there is simply NO WAY you can be making the determinations that you are at this point in time just because the Patriots didn't make the moves YOU deemed worthy.

Who is MORE infallible? YOU or Belichick? When it comes to football, I would put a MILLION on Belichick every time and ZERO on you.
Never said Belichick didn't make mistakes either.

You can make all the half-assed "judgements" you want. But expect to be called out on them for being nonsensical when they are. And that's exactly what your "judgements" to this point have been.

No where did I claim or even IMPLY that you had to wait until the day after the SB. On the contrary. I specifically stated that the improvements would be seen when the team took the field for Training camp and the Actual games.

You claim you won't engage in "belittling posts" but you did exactly that in your response to @mgteich and then myself. You did it to MG by claiming you were the example of a "REAL" Pats fan and he wasn't. By claiming his attitude wasn't a "winning attitude". So, congratulations on your hypocrisy. You did it to me by flat out LYING about what my points were and making claims that were counter to what I actually stated. I made them VERY clear and concise.

So, feel free to keep your judgements to yourself. Especially since you don't seem to want other knowledgeable fans to contradict your fallacies.

How are the Rams affording him...I was hoping he'd sign with us....Rams are going to be a very tough team to deal with in the weak NFC next year.
SF says hi.

What did they think Robinson was going to get? For a guy one year removed from a 1,400 plus yard season, what the Rams paid was a bargain. He got less than Christian Kirk.
That's what happens in Week One: players are overpaid.

Obviously, Kirk was greatly overpaid.

I doubt that the Rams will repeat, but they will be hell on offense adding Robinson.

Its a WR driven league. Thank God he didnt land in KC.

In terms of how good they are, they really could repeat. Its just the odds of repeating are never great these days. Id bet against it

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back