PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Welker tore his acl January of 2010 and was back for week 1 the next season, so obj could still play a good portion of next year . But i dont think welker was himself until 2011 so i would probably stay clear of obj unless an affordable 2 yr deal ( probably not happening).

Pretty sure Cooper Kupp came back strong the year after his ACL tear...

If the rumors the Pats don't want to spend $$ during FAcy (Collins, Robinson, etc) are true then the Mason trade makes more sense now. I expect more trades to be made by swapping players or for draft picks like Shaq's trade. It also makes clearer why they let Karras, JC, Johnson, et all walk.

I suppose they plan on plugging key holes via the draft which can be an iffy proposition.

Aside from $$ issues, I wonder how much the lack of an OC & OL coach is having on FAs wanting to come here. It's no secret the entire league is flabbergasted by the Pats coaching situation.

This is not what I expected at all this offseason (disclaimer: yes I know it's only 1st week of FAcy, f*ck off).

If the rumors the Pats don't want to spend $$ during FAcy (Collins, Robinson, etc) are true then the Mason trade makes more sense now. I expect more trades to be made by swapping players or for draft picks like Shaq's trade. It also makes clearer why they let Karras, JC, Johnson, et all walk.

I suppose they plan on plugging key holes via the draft which can be an iffy proposition.

Aside from $$ issues, I wonder how much the lack of an OC & OL coach is having on FAs wanting to come here. It's no secret the entire league is flabbergasted by the Pats coaching situation.

This is not what I expected at all this offseason (disclaimer: yes I know it's only 1st week of FAcy, f*ck off).
If I’m Allen Robinson do I want to come to New England and be screamed at by Judge and Co or do I want to go to the current world champs in LA.

Why are you worried about 3 years from now? You do realize that NEXT year, there is going to be a large jump in the salary cap. Anywhere from 18-40M. And that the years of the cap going up just 5-7% are probably gone.. They're talking the new norm will be in the 10-14% range.

The Patriots will have the money to pay Jones when the time is right.
But will they? Everybody seems to have money to throw around now. A lot of the teams ahead of the patriots last year look better and a lot of the reports coming back (for what it’s worth) make it sound like they’re just being outspent.

First, who cares if the Pats aren't linked to the Patriots. The Pats weren't linked to most of the free agents they signed last year. The Pats always do things under the radar and tell agents once they get their best deal, come back to us and we will see if we can match or beat it. It really means nothing.

Second, Anderson is solid player who had put up respectable numbers with mostly Sam Darnold throwing to him. The one year he had more than a abismal QB throwing to him (a very average at best Teddy Bridgewater) he had 95 catches for 1096 yards and 3 TDs. Pretty respectable numbers when you have a QB throwing to you who couldn't even start on at least half the teams in the NFL if not 3/4 of them.
Under the radar... that's good way to describe the Patriots offseason approach so far.

Say what you want about Bridgewater but he's a fairly accurate passer. Anderson's catch rate has been bad for all but one season with Bridgewater. Anderson is better than nothing at this point but he's a downfield receiver with a poor catch rate which I don't think is a great fit for the Patriots offense. Landry in his prime is much more of what the Patriots need. A diminished Landry is also better than nothing but I don't think either one of these players is going to end up on the Patriots roster.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know a lot of about Robinson because I don't watch a lot of Bears games. I have been enamored by his production for the several years leading up to last year and the fact he has a rep for an incredible catch radius. I am not 100% sure he was a scheme fit. But I have been taking on faith that he was. So I could have been in love with getting a player who was the wrong guy for this team.
?? And why you're not so sure he would be a Scheme fit?? Brady been gone two years now. The Patriots scheme wasn't really a Patriots scheme fit. It was can Player X Gel with Brady. Mac Jones is the QB now and it remains to be seen if he can elevate the Players around him. BB is banking on that with who we currently have at our skill positions key word "who".

Teams have realized you can keep kicking the can down the road indefinitely as long as one year someday you are willing to bite the bullet and move on. Saints and Rams have been doing this forever. They were constantly supposed to be all in on a single year and in cap hell and then all of a sudden found the money. We are still in our mid 2000’s pragmatic building ways. Which works with an anchor like Brady who you know gives you a high floor for years to come, but isn’t how most teams get into contendership
Agreed
Every team has to pay a certain percentage amount towards the cap each year. It doesn’t really matter in that regard. With us it’s always been about value contracts and getting a team full of B’s and C+’s instead of overspending on a couple of A+ talent.
That only worked because Brady and Gronk were our A+ talents.

Under the radar... that's good way to describe the Patriots offseason approach so far.

Say what you want about Bridgewater but he's a fairly accurate passer. Anderson's catch rate has been bad for all but one season with Bridgewater. Anderson is better than nothing at this point but he's a downfield receiver with a poor catch rate which I don't think is a great fit for the Patriots offense. Landry in his prime is much more of what the Patriots need. A diminished Landry is also better than nothing but I don't think either one of these players is going to end up on the Patriots roster.
Landry is a smart player and is getting up there he wouldn't be smart if he came here. His talents are needed on a contender Landry would fit perfectly on KC surrounded by all that Speed. A Team with SB aspirations should land him not a rebuilding Team sorry Mac.

Last edited:
I’m reading they are still trying to sign Beckham as well.
Chris: the writings on the wall we are Double Dippin at WR in 2022. IF we miss on both very possible with our Patriots mind you I'm DONE with Football. But I'm thinking positive: this WR class is so good that they could make the picks in the dark blind folded and come out with someone or two who can contribute.

With their current cap situation, the Pats will be shopping at the K Mart blue light special for a while. The sooner they unload Harry and Slojuan, the .sooner they can shop in a higher class neighborhood.

Teams are taking the Rams approach to win the super bowl as opposed to the Pats way

The punching bag of the internet is back with the Bengals

Let’s sum things up as of now. From the team that last saw the field in a humiliating playoff game against their division rivals giving up 47 points on 7 drives, the following is a summary of what the Pats have gained and lost since that game:

Lost: Josh McDaniels OC, Bo Hardegree QB coach, WR coach Mickey Lombardi and OL coach Carmen Briscillo

Gained: Joe Judge and Matt Patricia in unknown capacities

Lost: players- LG Ted Karras, RG Shaq Mason, likely RT Trent Brown, FB Jakob Johnson, RB Brandon Bolden, OLB Kyle Van Noy, likely D’onta Hightower and CB JC Jackson and his 8 Interceptions

Gained: players- the CFL guy the Pats outbid their competitors for with a $40k guarantee, the hope Onwenu can play guard, the possibility of acquiring the overpaid injury riddled RT Collins, the prayer 3rd rd TE Dalton Keene coming off a serious neck injury being an all-purpose FB, the hope James White’s hip is sound, the unknown of what Josh UChe, Anfernee Jennings, Ronnie Perkins etc can be and journeyman CB Terrance Mitchell.

It speaks for itself; there’s been quite a bit lost and very little of tangible substance gained. Yes, it’s March 16th, but that’s a whole lot of ground to make up in one draft and from the pool of misfit toys still left in free agency. That’s just to be as good not better than the team that gave up 7 TDs in 7 drives in their last game.

But, you’ve got the little wizard behind the curtain in Foxboro to make it all work. Good luck.
Your Post is lacking facts and context:
- Matt Patricia - Was in the Pats Front Office in 2021.
- Joe Judge- supposedly going to work with the QBs. Has some experience as he was a QB himself (though he also played ST).

Players Lost:
Hightower played like crap most of 2021.
Van Noy freelanced too much and ran his mouth too much which is why he's gone. OH. And he contributed mightily to the loss to the Cowboys. Part of the reason the Pass rush disappeared in the 2nd half of the season.
Ted Karras - Was not the great savior of the O-line that people like to claim. He was inconsistent and was a liability in the last two Bills games.
Bolden - He was the Pats #5 RB. He got elevated to #3 when White went down and gave the Pats a bunch more than expected. Still just a jag.
Johnson - I'm slightly disappointed that he's gone as I thought he played better than what people have mentioned. We'll have to wait and see how the Pats replace him. Whether it's Keene. A veteran. or someone from this year's draft (pick or udfa).
Jackson - This is the biggest loss, imho. Contrary to many, he IS a #1 corner and is near Elite. Even the Best have certain players that have their number. Diggs has Jackson's.
Winovich - He regressed to being almost exclusively a ST player last year. As a 3rd year play, he had the chance to be lining up opposing Judon and benefitting from that. Instead, he was a non-factor.

Players Gained:
- Drew Desjarlais - This was a MUTUAL deal. Desjarlais chose the Patriots after trying out for 11 teams in the league. He was one of the top guards in the CFL the last 2 years.
- Terrance Mitchell - He's had 23 PDs the last 2 years on 175 targets between Houston and Cleveland. Opposing QBs have completed 103 passing on the 175 targets for a 58.9% completion. That's the good news. Bad news is that he's only got 1 interception in that time while giving up 11 TDs. This has the potential to be a low risk/high reward signing if the Pats can Help him with his hands.
- Ty Montgomery - WR/RB/ KR- He's a partial replacement for Bolden. I say Partial because Bolden playing on the end of the line of the Punt Coverage unit.
- Mack Wilson - Fast, Sideline to Sideline LB who can cover TEs/RBs. He'll benefit from the tutelage of one of the best in Jerod Mayo.

Other Players:
- Onwenu CAN play guard or RT. The problem is the Pats need to pick a position and stick with it.
- Dalton Keene - Keene missed 2021 because of a Meniscus tear in his knee. The Neck injury was already over-come in 2020.
- James White - I'm certain White had to pass a physical before he signed his contract. Yes, there will still be lingering questions about him, but I doubt the Pats would have signed a 2 year deal if they felt he wasn't ready.
- Uche, Perkins, Jennings - They are no different than the other young players that will be joining the team in the draft other than they have experience in the system.
RaeKwon McMillan - Was a highlight of camp last season until he tore his ACL. Before the tear, he was wearing the green dot regularly and reports were that he'd taken to the defense like a fish in water. One of the rare times that the Patriots have given an injured player an extension.

How is the amount lost different than other years? There is ALWAYS changeover. There is always questions about the team going into the draft. Going into training camp. Going into the season. It's the coaches jobs to get them ready. Belichick has had TWO losing seasons in 22 years. Pretty sure that the 9 trips to the SB and 6 SB wins has earned him the benefit of the doubt and taught most rational people to have patience.

Please define what a "Super Bowl Caliber" roster consists of. Then go back and take a look at the previous Patriots SB Rosters (there's only 9) and let me know how many of them fit your definition.. I guarantee you that 2001 did NOT have a "SB Caliber" Roster. And people said the same about the Pats of 2003&2004 when they has Branch, Patten, Givens, and Brown as the WR.

No, I see you point and agree to an extent….all star teams don’t win a whole hell of a lot either

My point was simply I’m not crying over the process right now

Phillips to BUF. Another name connected to us off the board.

Amazing how these teams can afford all these guys.
Never saw Phillips connected to the Pats. When he was released by AZ, he tweeted that he was going back to Buffalo..

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back