PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL bans ALL hits where player lowers head

Status
Not open for further replies.
That missed tackle in the new orleans-minnesota game really sums the problem up, players despite having all the new information about concussions continue to just throw their head into another player to bring them down. It's absolutely insane that they just continue to play that way when it really isn't that difficult to tackle properly. Tackling technique won't solve all the concussion issues but it has to help.

That missed tackle in the new orleans-minnesota game really sums the problem up, players despite having all the new information about concussions continue to just throw their head into another player to bring them down.

No, it doesn't. It demonstrates what can happen when you get there early and have to adjust on the fly because you mistimed your attempt.

It's absolutely insane that they just continue to play that way when it really isn't that difficult to tackle properly. Tackling technique won't solve all the concussion issues but it has to help.

It's fascinating to read the people who don't seem to understand what this rule actually says. There's a reason why the league has already said that it's going to spend the entire offseason (a/k/a upcoming months) explaining how the rule is going to be applied to the teams, and it's not because the rule is going to be applied as written.

Playing Rule Article 8: It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. The player may be disqualified. Applies to any player anywhere on the field. The player may be disqualified.

You have to be either ignorant or a fool to think that rule, enforced as written, is a good idea.

Last edited:
So how many ACL tears in the NFL this season. What's the over/under?

No, it doesn't. It demonstrates what can happen when you get there early and have to adjust on the fly because you mistimed your attempt.

It's fascinating to read the people who don't seem to understand what this rule actually says. There's a reason why the league has already said that it's going to spend the entire offseason (a/k/a upcoming months) how the rule is going to be applied, and it's not because the rule is going to be applied as written.

You have to be either ignorant or a fool to think that rule, enforced as written, is a good idea.
I enjoy the nfl as it is today, i would play football and let my kids play football but I am clearly on the losing side of the concussion argument. So the game will have to change or die, teaching good tackling technique has to help, if this rule encourages that then that's a good thing. As for how the rule will be applied, we'll have to wait and see but hopefully it will be with a good amount of common sense, i don't disagree that it could easily end up being a farce.

It's simple. The league provides players with hard shell missiles to wear on their heads. If you had helmets which couldn't be used as weapons, no one in their right mind, or even a little daft, would lead with their helmet.

Players have used soft shell helmets, so where is the research to perfect one?

IMHO the helmet is the root of the problem. However, no matter how safe they make them, they need the cooperation of the players and owners to clean up the game. There are too many Merriweather types in the NYFL that are being paid to make those hits.

One of the more ironic instances concerning head hits was the sad injury to Shazier. Since the NYFL started to try and put a stop to those hits, the Steelers have been the most vocal team against making any changes. I used to think that maybe if a player applying the hit got injured it would help, and maybe it has.

Since that awful day when Darryl Stingley (may God rest his soul) went down from a filthy cheap late hit from Jack Tatum, I've not been a fan of those type of hits. Not one bit.

That deliberate hit on cooks in the super bowl was one of many hits I saw that I’d not like repeated.

Yep. And one of the good things is that making the call now will be easy. It's very obvious when a player drops his helmet and uses it as a weapon.

Yep the first game probably. I’m surprised they didn’t alter pass interference calls as well. After the Pittsburgh game, I knew they’d alter the rules in reaction. All the media outrage over the refs actually calling it correct.

Apparently, they used the incorrect rules for the SB, a few weeks before they were in place.

League admits to using incorrect rules during SB

Here's how I tackle.
Perfect.
Form.
Whatever you do, put your head down and don't look at your target.
DeadCompassionateEarwig-size_restricted.gif

You must have had a short career. ;)

He also made a great block on the only player who could have stopped the TD. That's what I call a double threat... for the defense.

It's fascinating to read the people who don't seem to understand what this rule actually says. There's a reason why the league has already said that it's going to spend the entire offseason (a/k/a upcoming months) explaining how the rule is going to be applied to the teams, and it's not because the rule is going to be applied as written.

It’s going to be a disaster. The way I know this is because it’s goodell

It's simple. The league provides players with hard shell missiles to wear on their heads. If you had helmets which couldn't be used as weapons, no one in their right mind, or even a little daft, would lead with their helmet.

Players have used soft shell helmets, so where is the research to perfect one?
So what you're saying is because you have a helmet, players have to use it as a weapon? If that's the case, who then becomes responsible for the prevalence of CTE? The league or the players stupid enough to use their "protected" head as a weapon?

So what you're saying is because you have a helmet, players have to use it as a weapon? If that's the case, who then becomes responsible for the prevalence of CTE? The league or the players stupid enough to use their "protected" head as a weapon?

They will. They do. i don't know if they have to, but other safeties will take their jobs. Did we draft big bang clock cause he was such a good tackler? Did Rodney avoid going airborn and using his helmet?

What I'm saying is, If there were helmets that gave, were soft or didn't have a missile like shell, nobody would lead with their helmet, even dumbasses like Merriweather. Why would they?

Preposterous...idiotic...kneejerk...bereft of ANY foresight whatsoever.

Let me make this simple....Raven/Pats...Brady at the goal line...hike!....Brady jumps over the center and meets Ray Lewis helmet to helmet. Brady using his lowered helmet..Ray Lewis using HIS lowered helmet. Got that? This play actually happened.

This season, both players get ejected. Think about that. What kind of complete farking shyt-for-brains goes on NFLN pimping THIS as an "incredible improvement"?

BTW, Goodell used the word "incredible" 153 times yesterday during his press conference. He's a near braindead sub-moron.

Yea you really can't go wrong predicting something will be a train wreck if you know he cooked it up.

I know. I don’t get it? Everything this guy does is bad. Not just for us either. Everything he’s done has been the opposite of good and he tells more lies then I can keep track of. And he’s paid tons of money for turning everything into a quasi soap opera circus. In a black way, it’s amusing

Preposterous...idiotic...kneejerk...bereft of ANY foresight whatsoever.

Let me make this simple....Raven/Pats...Brady at the goal line...hike!....Brady jumps over the center and meets Ray Lewis helmet to helmet. Brady using his lowered helmet..Ray Lewis using HIS lowered helmet. Got that? This play actually happened.

This season, both players get ejected. Think about that. What kind of complete farking shyt-for-brains goes on NFLN pimping THIS as an "incredible improvement"?

BTW, Goodell used the word "incredible" 153 times yesterday during his press conference. He's a near braindead sub-moron.

I think south parks version of goodell is real. A robot that don’t work

They will. They do. i don't know if they have to, but other safeties will take their jobs. Did we draft big bang clock cause he was such a good tackler? Did Rodney avoid going airborn and using his helmet?

What I'm saying is, If there were helmets that gave, were soft or didn't have a missile like shell, nobody would lead with their helmet, even dumbasses like Merriweather. Why would they?
So you agree it's a decision to lead with the helmet rather than execute a proper tackle. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing big hits but to me, leading with your helmet to "tackle" is idiotic.

So you agree it's a decision to lead with the helmet rather than execute a proper tackle. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing big hits but to me, leading with your helmet to "tackle" is idiotic.
It's a decision beased on risk, reward. If you can fly around and shock players enough that they are afraid to go over the middle, and not pay the price [immediately] safeties, for sure will do it every day.

No way they do it if it hurts them more than the opponent.

It's a decision beased on risk, reward. If you can fly around and shock players enough that they are afraid to go over the middle, and not pay the price [immediately] safeties, for sure will do it every day.

No way they do it if it hurts them more than the opponent.
I understand your position but you can enforce that sort of fear by leading with your shoulder.

This new rule is another example of why I don’t think the NFL will last very long. Eventually scores are going to be consistently in the high 40s and 50s. The sport is going to get boring to watch, kinda like arena league.
Scores in the 40’s and 50’s will make the game boring?

Not sure about that. We’ve already seen it get to that to some extent, and it hasn’t had a super strong effect. Younger gen fans seem to like offensive shootouts more than older generation fans.

People don’t watch Arena because of the low quality of talent that’s played on a puny field.

I see it more likely that a dilution of talent will make the NFL go away before too high game scores would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back