PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - a wrap up edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken, I enjoy reading your posts. I also like reading the responses. Maybe an abbreviated post-game analysis next year?
Yes. Just maybe two or three paragraphs on what was of most importance in the game - offense, defense, special teams, coaching, the calls of the refs, or just the play of one or two guys.

One a little sad thing I noticed, Robert Kraft's energy level had dropped significantly in the past two years. I know he's nearing 80, so maybe that is to be expected.

LOL, ya think?
Seeing it as "a little sad thing" is unnecessary. He's unbelievable lucky to be living the life he's living, and being able to celebrate the winningest team in NFL history with a 6th SB victory is a fantastic gift, especially nearing 80. Be happy for him!

My Slater jersey literally just arrived... It's my only Pats jersey. I considered for years who I would get: my answer always went to Slater, the kind of unsung player I admire. That scene, Slater genuinely joyed with Edelman winning, made me pull the trigger and order it.

The only Jersey I have is a Wilfork. I've been looking for a Troy Brown Jersey but Slater is an excellent choice. I love that guy.

Ken, I enjoy reading your posts. I also like reading the responses. Maybe an abbreviated post-game analysis next year?

Yeah hopefully. Although I really enjoyed reading the long versions during breakfast but I understand it was taking a toll on Ken. But hopefully he gives us something even if it's abbreviated. If not God bless him for what he gave us. Truly one of the highlights of this forum.

Incredibly well written post, Ken, exceeding your usual great standards!

What really shone through for me as this season progressed was the leadership of the players. Throughout this entire era with BB and Brady, this has been such an important element for them. This year, however, I feel like the veteran guys really took it to a higher level and kept the team from going off the rails after a few uncharacteristic performances, notably the Miami fiasco. I felt a 1969 Celtics vibe with this team going into the playoffs; they were actually the first team I really paid close attention to for an entire season. Like that Celtics team, this year’s Pats team had so many guys who had been in championship games and when the moments came they just seemed to have the confidence to elevate their games and inspire their teammates to do the same. Hopefully unlike the ‘69 Celts for the Pats the run won’t be over now!

Yeah hopefully. Although I really enjoyed reading the long versions during breakfast but I understand it was taking a toll on Ken. But hopefully he gives us something even if it's abbreviated. If not God bless him for what he gave us. Truly one of the highlights of this forum.
While I REALLY appreciate the sentiment from all you guys. The fact is when I read this, I almost thought I had died or have been sent to a nursing home (as I read this after coming home from the gym). ;)

As you have seen, I haven't "retired" much since I've wrote about my "retirement". I still love to write. And I love writing about the Patriots. What finally got so onerous was thinking in my mind that I was under an obligation to do it EVERY week. That if I didn't do it, I would be letting people down. (how about THAT for hubris ;) )

So, I am not dead, dying, or incapacitated (so far). Just getting lazy.

I've been watching a lot of film on the SB defense. The biggest takeaway is that Goff is a one read QB and couldn't find the open man. If that was Drew Brees with that defense we would have lost with that game plan. The scheme seemed to depend on the fact that if Goffs first option was covered, he wouldn't have the capability to decipher the coverage and know where the open man would be.

Also the Pat's crashed the line vertically, nullifying that zone blocking scheme and Hightower was very disciplined not to bite on ther play action. Play action that typically vacated the middle of the field for the rams offense found Hightower in the perfect position to defend potential holes in the heavy zone the Pat's were playing.

Finally the Pats knew Cooks can't make contested catches. If there is a defender on him it's 90% going to be a drop. They played him close and stayed disciplined in their assignments from a DB perspective. If the Rams had that slot guy, who was lost to injury, the game might have played out much differently.

I've been watching a lot of film on the SB defense. The biggest takeaway is that Goff is a one read QB and couldn't find the open man. If that was Drew Brees with that defense we would have lost with that game plan. The scheme seemed to depend on the fact that if Goffs first option was covered, he wouldn't have the capability to decipher the coverage and know where the open man would be.

Also the Pat's crashed the line vertically, nullifying that zone blocking scheme and Hightower was very disciplined not to bite on ther play action. Play action that typically vacated the middle of the field for the rams offense found Hightower in the perfect position to defend potential holes in the heavy zone the Pat's were playing.

Finally the Pats knew Cooks can't make contested catches. If there is a defender on him it's 90% going to be a drop. They played him close and stayed disciplined in their assignments from a DB perspective. If the Rams had that slot guy, who was lost to injury, the game might have played out much differently.
Before the Super Bowl, one of the posters here pointed out how the Rams regular season offensive production dropped by almost one touchdown per game after Cooper Kupp, their slot receiver, was lost for the season. It was a perceptive observation.

Great post and another great season for PatsFanKen.. always look forward to the insights you provide. Your football intelligence is obvious..

This season is memorable from many angles, after the November game when the Rams beat the Chiefs 54 to 14 the pundits all came on and told us that this was the future of football and how the Patriots were in trouble. The national pundits were all having orgasms on TV about these teams and local sportstalk radio was ready to end the "dynasty". Then came the playoffs and they beat them both..

Is this a blueprint of how to neutralize these teams and how they will be defended next year?? What impressed me for the D was the cohesion among the Pats players and how they finally "got it".. as much as I like Jules story, the Pats D was the MVP of the Superbowl..

All of this reaffirms that BB is the greatest coach ever, and #12 is without a doubt the greatest quarterback to play the game..

Now we enter the offseason and try to figure out who will stay and who will go, who new is coming in and how it will all mesh.. who will replace the departing coaches and will the defense we saw beginning in December be the norm?? Then the familiar refrain from the pundits has BB done enough?? Has the game passed BB by?? Why did we draft player X and not player Y?? I will visit this board daily, but refrain from following along with the nattering nabobs of negativity and wait to see what happens in mid march and during the draft.. then comes TC and we start this all over again.. cannot wait. I often pinch myself to make sure this is real.. it is, and I enjoy every minute of it.

Ken, thank you. Love to read your stuff.

While I agree with the sentiment, I believe Ken's posts will always be good reading if it happens that night or 2 days later.

I continue to appreciate his idle thoughts retirement. May he tap into his "inner" Brett Farve on his continued non-retirement of these posts. I say get some sleep and post when you can, no expectation on when/if @patfanken posts.

The only Jersey I have is a Wilfork. I've been looking for a Troy Brown Jersey but Slater is an excellent choice. I love that guy.

I have a Grogan, Seymour, Bruschi, and Brady. I’m thinking of a Gilmore or McCourty as my next one but we’ll see. I hardly wear them. They aren’t made for comfort.

........One a little sad thing I noticed, Robert Kraft's energy level had dropped significantly in the past two years. I know he's nearing 80, so maybe that is to be expected.

Don't worry:

While I REALLY appreciate the sentiment from all you guys. The fact is when I read this, I almost thought I had died or have been sent to a nursing home (as I read this after coming home from the gym). ;)

As you have seen, I haven't "retired" much since I've wrote about my "retirement". I still love to write. And I love writing about the Patriots. What finally got so onerous was thinking in my mind that I was under an obligation to do it EVERY week. That if I didn't do it, I would be letting people down. (how about THAT for hubris ;) )

So, I am not dead, dying, or incapacitated (so far). Just getting lazy.
Idle thoughts is one of the best features on this board, right up there with Miguel’s cap work and the x’s and o’s thread. Your coach eye overview of just the facts not hot take nonsense is very much appreciated. I always think of you as Scar, kinda under the radar, not flashy, but year after year makes everything else work cuz you are the best at what you do. So in a way you retiring without a prodigy is letting everyone down. Now personally I hate the idea that you find it to be work and I certainly don’t expect it to be first thing Monday morning. In some regards I think it could be even better if you waited and thought it over for a day or two and removed the pressure from a self imposed deadline. I would be just as happy reading a long well thought out post Wed or Thurs if you were less stressed writing it. As always much appreciation for your time and effort, love your writing style and football knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News