PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New NFL Competition Committee Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChessToCheckers

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
"The first proposal would add fouls for pass interference to the list of reviewable plays. The second would include fouls for pass interference but also would add fouls for roughing the passer and unnecessary hits against a defenseless receiver. "

Importantly, THE FOUL MUST ALREADY BE CALLED.

The Committee is suggesting a one year trial for either proposal.

NFL committee proposes revamp of instant replay

I actually think these have some merit. It's less than what Bill Belichick wants, but it might help alleviate the ticky-tack calls.

Fine by me.

What they are proposing is less than a half measure. Hell it's not even an 1/8. Are we going to see the same BS we see with TD's, when in doubt call it one because it's then subject to review? Everything should be reviewable, but even better if they just went with an eye in the sky official they'd eliminate a huge portion of what would be disputed to begin with. For whatever reason they simply don't want to budge on it and are blowing smoke as to why. No matter who the mouthpiece has been (Vincent, McKay, Mara) the phrasing has been almost identical. Here's Vincent's version: "In all of our discussions, there has been a real reluctance of [giving replay authority to call penalties]. That is something that from active players, to coaches, all across from football personnel, there has been a real reluctance for." Who is reluctant and why?

So the NFL is looking hard at expanding replay in large part because of the terrible missed call in New Orleans, and they propose two rule changes that do absolutely nothing to prevent another moment like in the NFC Championship?

That sounds about right.

I wouldn't vote in favor of any of the proposals that I've seen.

Anything in these proposals about Asian Massage Parlors or 4th Amendment issues? Nope. I’m moving on then. There’s a world to be saved, and there just may be one internet hero whose going to do it.

Last edited:
I feel that a part of the NFL and any sports games in fact is having officials making poor calls here and there. Even if it were the Patriots getting screwed over and the Chiefs going to the Super Bowl over a non-existent PI call for example, it's part of the game and you gotta deal with it.

If they guarantee possession in OT, they can call it the St Patrick rule.

and my head will explode.

"The first proposal would add fouls for pass interference to the list of reviewable plays. The second would include fouls for pass interference but also would add fouls for roughing the passer and unnecessary hits against a defenseless receiver. "

I actually think these have some merit. It's less than what Bill Belichick wants, but it might help alleviate the ticky-tack calls.
Here’s the problem I see. Since only called penalties can be reviewed there will be many more penalty calls.
If it’s close and I throw a flag someone else decides for me. If I don’t throw a flag I can be considered to have missed the call.
That means everything that isn’t incontrovertible results in a penalty. (This has been a problem at times with the td review rule)

Additionally, a not called penalty is just as much an issue as a called penalty that was wrong and they are only addressing half of it.
The saints play wouldn’t have been reviewable and since a flag would have been the unfairness would have been even greater.

Not a fan of opening up judgement calls to review process unless there is some sanity involved.

I can't help the feeling that if this would pass then the pass to Cooks where Gilmore held Cooks' arm a bit would have been enough for a DPI call. And given how nobody ever talked about this scene as being controversial ever since just shows that it really should not be.

Or when Logan Ryan and Sanu both took each others helmet off with facemask contact. If this was reviewed and judged by the exact words in the rules without looking at context it would have wiped off the holding call on Long via offsetting penalties.

Not a fan of opening up judgement calls to review process unless there is some sanity involved.

I can't help the feeling that if this would pass then the pass to Cooks where Gilmore held Cooks' arm a bit would have been enough for a DPI call. And given how nobody ever talked about this scene as being controversial ever since just shows that it really should not be.

Or when Logan Ryan and Sanu both took each others helmet off with facemask contact. If this was reviewed and judged by the exact words in the rules without looking at context it would have wiped off the holding call on Long via offsetting penalties.
Apparently this proposal is only to overrule a flag not to review a penalty not called.

However, the likely result is that a flag gets thrown on anything close and opens up your can of worms.

The other interesting one

• From the Denver Broncos, a rule that would add an alternative to the onside kick. Once per game in the fourth quarter, a team would have the opportunity to convert a fourth-and-15 from their 35-yard line instead of kicking off.

the idea of limiting it to once during the 4th quarter is stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently this proposal is only to overrule a flag not to review a penalty not called.

However, the likely result is that a flag gets thrown on anything close and opens up your can of worms.

I know and what you are saying is to also the logical consequence. "Looks tight or might be an important play ? Lets just throw a flag and the others figure it out".

And once slow motion comes into the equation it becomes a cluster****.

I know and what you are saying is to also the logical consequence. "Looks tight or might be an important play ? Lets just throw a flag and the others figure it out".

And once slow motion comes into the equation it becomes a cluster****.
Agree 100%.
And refs are heavily incentivized to throw the flag in this scenario.
If they throw it someone else is responsible. If not they take the blame.
We’ve seen it with the TD and TO rules. When it’s close refs call a TD or a turnover because replay will get it right and if they don’t call it there is no second look.

The onsides kick alternative has a good chance of passing...

John Mara is only competition committee member opposed to onside kick alternative

Here’s the full text of the proposed new rule:

A team may elect once per game during the fourth period to play offense instead of a kickoff or safety kick. The following rules will apply if such an election is made:

(1) The kicking team must notify the referee of its intention to forego a kickoff or safety kick for one offensive play. The referee will then notify the team that would otherwise be receiving the kickoff or safety kick.

(2) The ball will be spotted on the kicking team’s restraining line and the kicking team will have one scrimmage down on offense to gain 15 yards (4th and 15) to the line to gain. The sideline chain unit will be placed five yards ahead of A’s restraining line and the first down marker will be placed 15 yards from A’s restraining line (40 yard-line to the 50-yard line on a normal kickoff play when the restraining line is the 35-yard line).

(3) Play clock will be set to 25 seconds and winds on the ready for play signal. Game clock starts on the snap, and normal NFL timing rules apply.

(4) Standard scrimmage play rules apply.

(5) If the offense reaches the line to gain, the offense retains possession of the ball and the customary rules are in effect. If the defense stops the offense, the defense assumes possession at the resulting yard line of the play.

(6) If the offense is penalized on the one scrimmage down (4th and 15), the offense cannot elect to then kickoff after the penalty is enforced. Example: the kicking team may not elect to kick after incurring a holding penalty on the one scrimmage down.

(7) Scrimmage kicks are prohibited.

(8) Nothing in this exception prohibits a team from attempting a legal onside kickoff under Rule 6.

My contrarian counterproposals for these proposals

Replay Review
In the league operations center during games, convene a panel of six officials. All six officials have a button which they can press if they feel a call was egregiously missed with huge impact to the game (i.e., the New Orleans noncall). A three yard penalty on first down in the first quarter does not meet the threshold. If all six press the button before the next play starts, the play is reversed. This can happen only once per game per team.

Kickoff redesign
Kickoffs now take place on a team's own 45 yard line. A new tee is designed that keeps the ball in place flat on its side, almost on the ground. This makes it more likely for kicks to be wobbly line drives corralled at the 10 than high arcing fly balls. Balls reaching the sidelines OR END ZONE result in a penalty and the receiving team starting on their 40, incentivizing kicks in play. Receiving players can line up at the line of scrimmage outside the hash marks and 10 yards back between the hash marks. This reduces the impacts as they happen as soon as the ball is kicked between two players who are stationary. Kick coverage now resemble punt coverage with most players held up at the line with one or two gunners trying to corral a dodging returner. One kicking player can be in motion horizontally to create more coverage strategies. Onside kicks need to clear 10 yards or touch a receiving player to be recoverable.

Overtime
Overtime goes back to sudden death. There is no longer a coinflip but a continuation of the situation which ended regulation. If a tie game ends regulation at 3rd and 3 at the 50, that's where overtime begins with reset time outs. Since this is known to all parties going into the game, the end of regulation changes, incentivizing taking the lead with 2 point attempts over tying kicks with 40 seconds left, for example. The luck of the coin flip is eliminated, so hopefully the focus goes back to game situations and how they were managed.

You forgot the other new rule proposals:

(1). All dynasty teams must be embroiled in at least one disruptive scandal, originating on the field or off.
(2). The overtime rule must be examined for revision if a dynasty team wins more than one OT playoff game within a four-year span.
(3). Lucrative non-football jobs must be offered dominant star players with a minimum eight years playing time. Those from dynasty teams must receive offers including a beautiful model or starlet to further encourage retirement.
(4). Dynasty teams are not permitted to keep their offensive and defensive coordinator posts intact more than two consecutive years.

You forgot the other new rule proposals:

(1). All dynasty teams must be embroiled in at least one disruptive scandal, originating on the field or off.
(2). The overtime rule must be examined for revision if a dynasty team wins more than one OT playoff game within a four-year span.
(3). Lucrative non-football jobs must be offered dominant star players with a minimum eight years playing time. Those from dynasty teams must receive offers including a beautiful model or starlet to further encourage retirement.
(4). Dynasty teams are not permitted to keep their offensive and defensive coordinator posts intact more than two consecutive years.
tenor.gif

Ok, truth... I did laugh at each of the 4 points.

I saw an interesting OT proposal.

Sudden death during the regular season but in the playoffs put the ball at the 5 yard line. One play decides a winner. Coin toss gives team a choice between trying to put the ball in the end zone on the play or trying to defend it. Offense scores, team on offense wins. Offense fails to score, team on defense wins. Give the winning team a bonus point like the NHL does for the shootout winner.

Play a team with a crap offense and I’d take my chances on defense.

Much rather have this method then the NCAA rules adopted in the pros giving us 90-84 final scores.

So if understand the onside kick rule alternative correctly:

If a team is down by, say, 9 points and score a TD with 10 second left...

...they cut the score to 2 points....

...and then get the ball back to setup a 30 yard PI call and GW field goal.

Any time a team is down two possessions and scores in the waning seconds they get a free Hail Mary?

Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey