PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE legal FA tampering watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
5-6 million are the equivalent of 3-4 million just a few years ago. Sorry but your numbers are just not properly adjusted.
5.5 million today is equivalent to 3.3 million in 2006 and 3.9 mill in 2008

I don't disagree with the principle here, but one thing to keep in mind is that salaries for free agents are increasing at a greater rate than the salary cap.

The NFL minimum salaries were negotiated in 2011 and do not depend on the salary cap. Below is a link:
NFL CBA Series: Minimum Salaries

To Andy's example, a 4-year veteran earned $715K in 2013 and will earn $775K in 2017; that's an 8.4% increase compared to the 35.7% cap increase during that time period. A good portion of the roster earns salaries that compare to the minimum. This in turn causes the inflation for the free agents to be slightly higher. I'd have to look at the actual roster distribution to see, but I wouldn't be surprised if a free agent making $5.5M in 2017 would have been closer to $3.75M in 2013 rather than $4M, but that's just an estimate.

The greater point remains though. In 2013, Belichick surprised everyone by giving Kyle Arrington a $4M deal. But he had played 75% of the snaps. Harmon, while valuable, still only played 50% of the snaps. I'd expect the overall value to the team to be prorated accordingly -- that is, unless Belichick thinks he'll play more than 50% next year.
I would imagine if you look deeper, that most of the increase is going to the top 5 or so players per team, or 150 or so in the league.
The other side is the franchise tag number which has escalated a ton. I will try to find that.

Deals like that are why the Pats take the first week of FA off, I guess. What are the odds that Arizona isn't regretting that deal 12 months from now? 25%?

Yeah, 30+ catches, a little over 300 yards and 2 TDs warranting that much cash is ludicrous. He's better at blocking TBH. But even so, still dumb as hell.

Another TE down, Marty's price up..

Seen a few Eagles games...he's the only guy on that team who can catch on a consistent basis. Although on the surface it looks like Brent Celek may be on the chopping block, his cap hit is something fierce, so no Pats dreams there.

Franchise tag increases 2013 to 2017
DE 52%
DT 59%
LB 52%
OL 46%
QB 43%
RB 47%
S 58%
TE 62%
WR 50%
CB 32%
OVERALL 49%

Since these are the top 5 at each position, it is very easy to calculate the total money.
These players had their pay increase by 231.8 million combined.
That is over 7 million per team, and represents 16% of the cap increases, held by approximately 3% of the players (5 players at 10 positions = 50 players or 1.56 per team)
So the 1 or 2 highest players on each team absorb 16% of the increases, which should certainly offset the lesser increases of players playing for the minimum (if they took up only their 3% of the increase it would leave an extra 4.6mill roughly to spread among the minimum salary guys, which is a 35% increase for 18 players per team at 715 minimum.
So arguably the distribution of the increases hurts the guy in the 5 - 6 mill range more than helps him, ie those guys probably see a little bit less than the average 35% increase.

Pats really seem to be in the hunt for future top WR ..
he's only half a year younger than Julian . so maybe its not so much about the “after“..

Boom. Here it is.

So it seems it is a case of the info faucet in Foxboro dripping rather than fully open, and not a sign of anything.

he's only half a year younger than Julian . so maybe its not so much about the “after“..

Hate the idea.

Maybe...or....

I meant the speculation that they were waiting to tender him.
Turns out they didn't wait, they just didn't announce them all at once.

I don't believe for one second the Patriots are in on DeSean Jackson.

Watch BB shock the world and trade Jimmy and butler for the number one plus a first round next year :eek:

If browns sign him would we get the 12th pick?
That's a great question...Common sense would be that it would be for the teams own draft pick (which would be #1) but in this league with this commissioner anything is possible.

Curran mentioned this earlier today:

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-even-free-agency-nfl-world-revolves-around-patriots

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Patriots kicked the tires on DeSean Jackson and would fully support that move. And Jackson – an annoying little guy early in his career who got sideways in Philly with Belichick pal Chip Kelly – may be ready at 30 to do the one-year career rehab that so many other great players go through with the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back