PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Montana: Can't Call Brady Best Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if you watch the video instead of reading the written words, it may come across differently:
Joe Montana Won't Say Tom Brady's The Best QB Ever (VIDEO)

I don't think he's dumping on Brady at all and he defers from calling himself the greatest and seems genuine when he does. The part where his wife (girlfriend?) says that he says he's the greatest at home all the time, seems like a joke. Part of me wonders if she's referring to his performance in the bedroom.

If mine said that I'd laugh but probably not as hard as he'd be laughing. What a ridiculous thing to say unless we're just joking around.

Meh, he can what he wants. Brady has produced more results for a longer amount of time, apart from winning superbowls. He's led the Pats deeper into the playoffs, more often. He has what, 9 more playoff wins and only 2 more losses?

Montana's statement has been the position I take (at least I used to take). Logically, I do not think you can fairly compare players from different generations for reasons Montana raised. The best you can say is that a player is "among the best ever" or the "best of his generation." These debates are best with beer among friends.

I have changed my opinion. Sometimes you need to forget logic. Brady is GOAT - he just is.

If anyone else had made this argument, I probably wouldn't have an issue with it. But, coming from Montana, it sounds self-serving, which, no doubt it is. Not to mention, a little petulant. Otherwise, I would have said it sounds a lot like things I have stated in the past. The game of Professional Football has evolved considerably over the last 75 or whatever years.

I'm older than a lot of you and I've often gotten into the Sammy Baugh/Otto Graham, pre-SB era discussion out here in the past.

There are the clear SB era greats in Brady, Montana and Staubach; then, you can further subdivide the SB era into pre-cap and post-cap, so it's Montana and Staubach pre-cap and Brady by himself post-cap. I don't include Young in the pre-cap discussion because then you have to bring people like P. Manning into the post-cap discussion.

Brady, Montana and Staubach defined their eras. Young and P. Manning are in the discussion in comparison/reference to others; in the case of Young, compared to Montana/Staubach and, in the case of P. Manning, compared to Brady.

Starr and Unitas are sort of in a no-man's-land between before and after 1966, or the beginning of the SB era, but they both defined that"era," whatever it might be called. But, it's probably unfair to leave them out of the discussion.

So, for my money, with seven AFC Championships, five Lombardis, four SB MVP's, two League MVP's and virtually every Regular Season and Playoff statistical record, Tom Brady has the strongest argument for Greatest of All Time.

But, if purists (i.e., specifically not a contender like Montana) want to argue that there is a small group of QB's for whom an argument can be made that they are the Greatest of All Time and that that group includes Baugh, Brady, Graham, Montana, Starr and Staubach...well, that's fine by me.

It's no disrespect to Brady to put him in the discussion with the other five. But no one will ever convince me, personally, that he isn't the Greatest of All Time.

If anyone else had made this argument, I probably wouldn't have an issue with it. But, coming from Montana, it sounds self-serving, which, no doubt it is. Not to mention, a little petulant. Otherwise, I would have said it sounds a lot like things I have stated in the past. The game of Professional Football has evolved considerably over the last 75 or whatever years.
Again, I have no idea where the basis of Montana "having an ego" or "being self-serving" or "being petulant" comes from. The only time I have ever seen that claim is here, where one person just makes a baseless accusation and then dozens of others chime in with "yeah, he's for sure a poor sport" and "yeah, he's just bitter".

What is the basis for this this? This is the guy that on the heels of Deflategate said, and I quote, "everybody is afraid to say it, but if [Brady] did it, so what? Just pay up and move on. It's no big deal.”

Does anyone else find the cognitive dissonance hilarious? When it comes to Delfategate, we have all of these martyrs for truth and justice, about how we can't use circumstantial evidence to jump to conclusions. However, then when Joe Montana says something like "you can't compare players across eras", everybody jumps to the conclusion that Montana is saying things like that because, "obviously", he's "bitter" or "resentful" or "was raised to be an entitled brat by his parents". The irony is delightful.

Love the last paragraph:

"At that point in the interview, Montana’s wife interjected that Montana does call himself the greatest when they’re alone at home. Perhaps Montana is just putting on a modest face by declining to answer the question."
Time for a good marital counselor?

So does brady call himself the GOAT now in public just like montana says he isnt the goat in public ? Every competitive QB will feel the same way privately .
Here is a good breakdown of this discussions. They are both great in their own way.

Tom Brady vs. Joe Montana; too much heat on Kyle Shanahan
The part I like is:
Montana managed to reach the postseason tournament 11 times. Brady has led the Patriots to the AFC Championship Game an incredible 11 times -- and counting.

Montana was benched for Steve Young in the third quarter of a playoff game, shopped around the league and ultimately traded at age 36 -- unthinkable experiences for Brady.
In comparison, we've got Brady winning at age 39 while holding off an heir-apparent, Joe being benched and traded at 36.

I have zero doubt Brady would be as successful in any era.

Again, I have no idea where the basis of Montana "having an ego" or "being self-serving" or "being petulant" comes from. The only time I have ever seen that claim is here, where one person just makes a baseless accusation and then dozens of others chime in with "yeah, he's for sure a poor sport" and "yeah, he's just bitter".

What is the basis for this this? This is the guy that on the heels of Deflategate said, and I quote, "everybody is afraid to say it, but if [Brady] did it, so what? Just pay up and move on. It's no big deal.”

Does anyone else find the cognitive dissonance hilarious? When it comes to Delfategate, we have all of these martyrs for truth and justice, about how we can't use circumstantial evidence to jump to conclusions. However, then when Joe Montana says something like "you can't compare players across eras", everybody jumps to the conclusion that Montana is saying things like that because, "obviously", he's "bitter" or "resentful" or "was raised to be an entitled brat by his parents". The irony is delightful.
I said it sounded "self serving" and "a little petulant." That's still what I think. Didn't say it "was" those things, just that it "sounded" like that.

Waiting all week to say anything publicly just wasn't cool. Not even "congratulations?" His silence until this point was deafening. Every serious NFL fan was wondering what Joe thought. He didn't have to call Brady the GOAT to tweet something like "Congratulations TB12 on SB #5 and SBMVP #4. Great job!" I mean, it would have taken him two minutes.

I also said that Montana's comments when it comes to who is or is not GOAT are more or less consistent with things I've said.

So, my comment wasn't on the substance but on how he handled it. I think he could have made the same point and handled it better. That's still what I think. You're entitled to a different view.

I like Joe, he has a quiet demeanor about him and doesn't ever seem overly engaged on football issues for some reason, like he could care less. Not just this vid but in general.

Now Marshall Salt on the other hand....

I love how (in the past) everyone loved to discredit Brady's accomplishments by talking about how he was "just on better teams", yet NO ONE ever mentions how effing STACKED Montana's teams were.

When people are constantly trying to discredit you, I think it says a lot about not only your level of greatness, but their lack of perspective in relation to greatness in this league.

I remember years ago before maybe the Seattle Super Bowl that Montana said Brady has already surpassed me.. or something along those lines. Brady is a much taller guy than me and said other things pointing to the fact that Brady is a better QB than he was.

Maybe he didn't outright say Brady is/was better than he was but he was dancing around it. That was before he won his 4th Super Bowl. Now that he has 5 Super Bowls and especially how he pulled it off.. how can there be any debate?

Think about what Brady has had to work with over the years.. he has had to make chicken salad out of chicken **** at times. And ever since 2002 has been in the playoffs every year.

Of course coaching has had a huge effect on Brady's success but I could argue that while the coaching was always top notch.. the General Manager seemed to fall a couple players short for many seasons. But Brady always made the playoffs no matter what and deep into the playoffs for that matter.

The other and more impressive thing is Brady has continued to broaden his skillset and get better as the years have gone on.. at least up to this point.

I like Joe, he has a quiet demeanor about him and doesn't ever seem overly engaged on football issues for some reason, like he could care less. Not just this vid but in general.

Now Marshall Salt on the other hand....
I prefer Marshall Sulk lol

Montana is a hypocrite, he was fine being called the greatest. His insecurities kicked in since Brady won his 4th. Montana has been doing every thing to discredit Brady's achievements.

Joe is bitter that he is now number 2. This argument is dead, even if you compare Brady to Graham - the best pre super bowl QB, he's still number 1. Now the question is how much distance Tom will put between himself and everyone else since he'll retire at 45.

Love the last paragraph:

"At that point in the interview, Montana’s wife interjected that Montana does call himself the greatest when they’re alone at home. Perhaps Montana is just putting on a modest face by declining to answer the question."

Probably their safe word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back