PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF: Squaws versus Kakapoos game thread... who are we rooting more against?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiefs really match up well against Baltimore D, they can't really figure out how to slow them down. I was only half watching game, but Baltimore played them too soft most of the game. Tried to keep them underneath and couldn't contain anything.

Patriots have had success slowing down that offense. Anyone know how often Chiefs D coordinator has faced Newton? That will probably play a pretty good factor in the game.

I think the Pats put up 30 pts and hold the chief to 27

Just saw Harbawl eating 12 dozen humble pies in the post game presser...I'll sleep well tonight

Coaching was the difference here. You're playing KC, you can't panic if/when you get down.

Styles make fight. When it came to fight or flight Balt coaches went flight. Instead of getting creative. Making a statement and showing you're the best running team in the league by gashing KC for 4-5 yards. Easy 3rd downs. They went the opposite way.

Jackson was bad. He was bad but his TE left a TD and 60 yards on the field. Multiple big time drops. Brown didn't help out. Still Jackson was bad but good enough to at least make it a one score game if he any help at all.

Interestingly enough Balt was in on D Hopkins this past year. They should have been in on Diggs. They desperately need a sure handed target in the intermediate/MOF part of the field. Kyler Murray was great deep/short so what does Ari do? Go get their young QB one of the best WR in the game in a good deal for them.

Anyway Balt coaching was just really poor. Team wasn't ready. Kick it on the 5 yard line but go for it on 4th/22? Instead of kicking the FG and trying an onside kick? Just poor play calling all night.

Defensively they need an identity. They have no identity beyond the big play, TO. If that's that not and they're pressed on the margins there's room to work.

Again styles makes fight. Pats fans should know this after watching Bill for 20 years. No need to blow it up. That team can still get better and has a decent sized window.

Problem is KC is just a monster. They're similar to 07 Pats when you know they're dropping 30+ unless you have their # like Bill or the Chargers. They've played them tough every game. Have to limit their touches, time on the field & get FG when possible. 4 man pressure. Tight man. Try to disguise/confuse Mahomes in coverage/rush. 9/10 times you're probably having to put up 28+ on a good day to beat them. Just a tough matchup. Good for them. Fun to watch. Let's see what they do with it.

Do you guys think Mahomes is already better than peak Aaron Rodgers?
Nah. 2011 Aaron Rodgers is right there with

2004 Manning (Pats 04 defense held him to 3 points, unreal)

2007/2010/2016 Brady

as the best I’ve seen the position played since I started watching

Biggest takeaways for me regarding the Ratbirds are that (1) their OL and DBs are a lot less strong this year as compared to what I remember from last year, and (2) Lamar is going to need to prove he can win a big game with his passing.
That's the trouble. I don't think he can. Not if he can't play with a lead.

Nah. 2011 Aaron Rodgers is right there with

2004 Manning (Pats 04 defense held him to 3 points, unreal)

2007/2010/2016 Brady

as the best I’ve seen the position played since I started watching
Nah, Rodgers was always to worried about preserving his stats. Mahomes is a -real- river boat gambler and he's got the skill to back it up.

Jackson still cannot win a game against a good team from the pocket. And lord knows the Ravens’ coaching gave him every chance to do so last night.

Jackson still cannot win a game against a good team from the pocket. And lord knows the Ravens’ coaching gave him every chance to do so last night.

Agreed. And the ESPN announcers were letting us know that Jackson was calm on the pocket, progressing through all of his reads and his receivers were dropping critical passes.

Jordan Richards' 17 game win streak has ended. He won his last 3 games with the 2018 Falcons, 3 games with the Patriots weeks 5-7 last year, 9 games with last year's Ravens, was inactive for the Ravens' playoff loss, and 2 games to start this season with the Ravens.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
The comparison between him and Mahomes really needs to stop. Right now KC is a nightmare match up for the Ravens precisely because Lamar cannot win from the pocket. The Steelers are in control of that division right now. Will be interesting to see how the Ravens match up with them.
Still, I very much like the Pats chances vs KC. Our secondary will be good enough to at least slow down Mahomes like we did in the second half of the game last year when we shut him out. Have to hope the offense has enough fire power to score to keep things close.

Yes. Mahomes is an all around QB that gambles and pulls it off. Rodgers was more of a stat hogger.
I do not think Mahomes is as good yet as vintage Manning or Brady. But he is pretty close.

Yes, and it's not even close...when all is said and done, Mahomes will be a top 3 QB in NFL history at this rate.

Lamar can't win big games or lead a comeback. We are much better off with Sony who helped win a SUPER BOWL, something Lamar will never do.

Lamar, with BB and Josh coaching him would be unreal...

Rodgers never had such an arsenal of dynamic playmakers at his disposal that Mahomes currently has, and certainly not the creative playbook Mahomes is operating with. Rodgers had some great receivers but defenders weren’t backpedaling pre-snap.

The attention Hill demands is similar to how defenses treated Moss in ‘07.
YouTube has the ‘07 Pats at Miami game and it is the best example of how one receiver can impact a game with or without the ball. Moss drew triple and quadruple coverage all game vs the hapless Fish and the rest of NE’s weapons were easily 10 yards open most every play. The space available was obscene. Brady just played pitch and catch, and Tom was as accurate that day as I have ever seen. And when Brady was feeling cantankerous, he chucked a couple of bombs (both under thrown) into quadruple coverage and Moss effortlessly secured the TDs despite the hoard of defenders.
Hill gets that kind of attention and his teammates are the beneficiaries of his presence. Sammy Watkins has been resurrected. Kelce is on his way to maybe his best season.

Last edited:
Kinda funny how all five BSPN 'analysts' picked BAL even after having a few weeks of film to watch.

Also BAL was being favored by 3.5 before the game, yet lost by 14 and it really wasn't that close.

Guess BAL blew a lot of smoke up a lot of people's bums.

I don't want to fuel any narratives but I am just too curious not to ask...

In the modern era, what's the most passes a QB has thrown in one game without cracking 100 yards? Or the lowest ypa in one game with 25+ attempts? Last night felt historic.

I don't want to fuel any narratives but I am just too curious not to ask...

In the modern era, what's the most passes a QB has thrown in one game without cracking 100 yards? Or the lowest ypa in one game with 25+ attempts? Last night felt historic.
Pro Football Reference recently moved their stat search behind an $8 per month paywall, which is absolutely killing me. All I can tell you is that last night definitely wasn't the worst, because Andy Dalton went 10/33 for 86 yards in 2014 in a 24-3 loss to the Browns.

Lots of familiar faces in that one. Hoyer was the winning QB, Newhouse was Dalton's starting right tackle, and Sanu had the longest catch of the game for the Bengals and also drew a PI that led to the field goal by Nugent.

Kinda funny how all five BSPN 'analysts' picked BAL even after having a few weeks of film to watch.

Also BAL was being favored by 3.5 before the game, yet lost by 14 and it really wasn't that close.

Guess BAL blew a lot of smoke up a lot of people's bums.
They badly want a Mahomes/Jackson rivalry in the vein of Manning/Brady but it just isn't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back