PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF 12/12 Pre-game thread: Pats @ Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least this game has everyone dialed in knowing playoff hope's ride on this win. So for one game, everything is in play.
I expect BB to allow the O to be aggressive and even uptempo. Maybe MP had enough time in the break to go study some of JMD's game plans from recent years and copy them - Lord knows he can't come with them himself.
It sucks that Meyers & Harris are out. But it will force Mac to use his TE's and hopefully get Agholor & Thornton using their speed indoors.
And maybe we'll see Marcus Jones in a Flex role, like James White - that would be cool, since Strong has done NOTHING but make mistakes.

If they play the "don't rush the passer and keep him in the pocket defense" I will scream! BB consistanly allows bad passers (i.e. Justin Fields) to rip them apart because he tells his d line to contain and not rush the QB.

They should punish Murray anytime he has the ball.

If they play the "don't rush the passer and keep him in the pocket defense" I will scream! BB consistanly allows bad passers (i.e. Justin Fields) to rip them apart because he tells his d line to contain and not rush the QB.
This BB strategy has always seemed backwards to me. Most of these running QBs default to running because they can't process what they see in the time available. Rather than move to their next read they get on their horse and go. The contain strategy gives them just what they desperately need to be better passers - time. And far too often in recent years they have used that time to pick apart the "contain" D on the way to career passing days.

This BB strategy has always seemed backwards to me. Most of these running QBs default to running because they can't process what they see in the time available. Rather than move to their next read they get on their horse and go. The contain strategy gives them just what they desperately need to be better passers - time. And far too often in recent years they have used that time to pick apart the "contain" D on the way to career passing days.

It worked when you had just a few of those in the league and they were injured half of the time.
Now its trending half of the league but most significantly the best (most durable) is in the division and he's not going away.

All D stats dont mean **** if for 2 years you did nothing to be even competitive in a normal game vs division rival.
Actually - of all the teams over past 2y - Pats D looked the least likely to stop the Bills or one of the least.
This is by far the worst BB job - and stacking inbreed staff will prob not help turn it around.

Pats have a ton of cap - but if this philosophy stays the same - it will not do much good.
I am on the record from week1 and before that the most important thing - stopping BUF - was not addressed at all - and without this all the rest matters very little. Incl tonights game.

Its kind of ironic that at the time when BB finally has the Cap the roster is eroding to the point that what used to be PS/ST quality player now passes for starter.

Im sure Bill is not happy to be so effortlessly humiliated by Buffalo over and over. But can he muster the change?
He stubbornly believes its about execution. Hopefully he can realize players simply have limitations.
Independent voices like Dante and Flores are sorely missed..

They should punish Murray anytime he has the ball.
The worst was the 2016 game against the Seahawks. The rushers just stood there and let Wilson have all day to throw. The secondary got torched. They lost.

The best game was against Michael Vick in 2001 where they attacked him and had 9 sacks.

You have to attack these runners as they freak out at the slightest hint of pressure.

Flores has a great game plan against Lamar Jackson last year blitzing him from all angles. Blitzing is a lost art.

Last edited:
Im sure Bill is not happy to be so effortlessly humiliated by Buffalo over and over.

bills win a few games over the Pats in a couple of seasons after they continually were beaten by them for 20+ years, including Bill as a DC beating them in a SB

Patsfanforum: Pats are getting effortlessly humiliated over and over by buffalo

Fun fact: Pats were in poistion to sweep them in the regular season last year if it wasn't for JC Jackson having butter fingers.

Another fun fact: Pats probably should have beaten them in buffalo 2 years ago with Cam Newton who fumbled while they were driving in the red zone for the winning score.

So you are literally talking about 3 games in 6 and the last game it was debatable not like the bills put up 40+. But ya totally effortlessly humiliated by buffalo over and over......

As much as I love to see the Dolphins lose, the fact that the Chargers won was not great for the Pats. Now as a result this is a must win in order for them to leap frog the Jets and the Chargers in the standings ! They have no room for error. Hope the team is up to the task tomorrow night. For what it's worth I hate Monday night games, I always miss kickoff and recently their record on prime time has been horrible . Why the schedule makers decided to give them 3 consecutive (could have been 4 if next week wasn't flexed) primetime games is beyond me ??
The Chargers will likely win out. There are now healthy, and they are a Super Bowl contender.

We will be fighting MIA and CIN for 2 spots. We should be able to be ahead of the jets. So, we need to pass one of these teams. CIN has a tough schedule.

I don't know how the tie breaker would go with MIA, presuming that we beat them. It seems that we might have the same division and conference record.

So you are literally talking about 3 games in 6 and the last game it was debatable not like the bills put up 40+. But ya totally effortlessly humiliated by buffalo over and over......
The Bills were content to just run the ball and not take any crazy chances. They could have won by much more if they decided to air it out. It was a cat playing with a mouse. The Pats were no serious threat to take over the game and the Bills knew it.

The Bills were content to just run the ball and not take any crazy chances. They could have won by much more if they decided to air it out. It was a cat playing with a mouse. The Pats were no serious threat to take over the game and the Bills knew it.
Josh Allen is still 0-4 all-time vs a healthy NE defense.

Yes. When they see Myles Bryant out there they know they have free pitch and catches and easy first down conversions.

That was then this is now. When we force them to punt a Bronx cheer breaks out on this board.
I wish I had the power to alter facts in order to save you mental and emotional anguish, as you seem to desperately wish that Josh Allen had the ability to defeat a healthy Patriots defense, be it "then" or "now." But sadly, I do not.

Here's why tonight is a MUST-WIN game...

Buffalo is going to win the East at 13-4.
I'm completely buying in on Cincinnati... they're winning the North at 13-4.
Tennessee may actually gag up the South to Jacksonville but right now I'll give them the division at 9-8.
Kansas City is a lock for the West and probably the #1 seed.

Baltimore has quarterback issues but even with a 2-2 finish they're a wild card team at 11-6.

It gets tricky for the final two wild card spots... MIA, NYJ, NWE and LAC battling for those two spots.

Chargers are the most likely to get in with an 11-6 or 10-7 record because their schedule is a joke (TEN, @IND, LAR, @DEN).

So MIA, NYJ and NWE for the last spot.

Miami has been exposed a bit against better competition and their remaining schedule isn't easy (@BUF, GNB, @NWE, NYJ). I have them finishing the season at 10-7.

The Jets are probably the hardest team to figure out. Firstly, Mike White needs to be healthy enough to play or they're totally screwed with Flacco or god forbid Wilson. Their remaining opponents are DET, JAC, @SEA, @Mia. With White I have them finishing the season at 9-8.

So the Patriots are currently 6-6 with remaining opponents (@ARI, @LVR, CIN, MIA, @BUF). Buffalo likely will need that last game for the #1 seed so that's a loss for the Patriots. I have Cincinnati winning out so that's another loss for the Patriots. That's 6-8. Therefore they have to beat @ARI, @LVR and MIA at home to reach 9-8 (which will bounce the Jets) and then hope Miami finishes 1-3 and not 2-2 like I'm projecting. If Miami does finish 1-3 (which would likely require a home loss to GNB), and they tie the Patriots record at 9-8, then it comes down to tiebreakers. Their division and conference records will be identical so it'll come down to common opponents, which Miami wins at 8-6 (Patriots at 6-8).

Either way, for the Patriots to have any chance at a wild card they have to win these next two road games vs lesser opponents (@ARI and @LVR).

So the Patriots are currently 6-6 with remaining opponents (@ARI, @LVR, CIN, MIA, @BUF).

Very easily could run the table here if we get healthy. Don't see a single team there who could beat us at full strength. However, even dropping 1 more game should be enough to clinch a playoff spot.

It starts with the coaches and goes to the players. Other than a few guys I think the team has more me-first guys than they have had in the Belichick era. Look at the starting OTs.

Since at least 2009 anyway, yeah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents