PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels likely to go to niners, Patricia likely to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh is a helluve oc and I think he'd be a good hc.

But how about some props for MattyP?
The #2 overall defense even after adjusting for schedule. This D got better and better as the season went on. They are playing their best now.
They got rid of cjones and Collins and got BETTER. A LOT better.

That's not all BB.

Hopefully not, the NFL has completely turned me sour to this sport with their shinanigans, rule changes and excessive penalties. The only reason I still watch is because of Brady and Bill. Once they're gone I'm not sure how much il even care about the NFL or the Patriots and this is from a fan who has watched every game since 1995.

Football used to be fun, hard hitting and exciting. Now it's tedious, constant stoppages and reviews and penalties. A hard hit is an instant foul regardless of where they hit, and the only excitement is if a ref gifts your team 60 yards on PI or calls a 15 yard personal foul because someone hit your QB with a real tackle.

Kraft needs to keep this duo together because once they are gone so are many people. Football jumped the shark about a decade ago... most of us are just hanging on in hopes it will change back... but we know better

Josh is a helluve oc and I think he'd be a good hc.

But how about some props for MattyP?
The #2 overall defense even after adjusting for schedule. This D got better and better as the season went on. They are playing their best now.
They got rid of cjones and Collins and got BETTER. A LOT better.

That's not all BB.
Could lose Matty P to chargers

of course that was a typo.
Can you give a link to him saying that more than once because that is the first I have ever heard and this is discussed often here.
Information often manifests as the first someone has ever heard. Imagine that! Because there are no links available to comments made in the course of conversation on the radio years ago doesn't mean I'm lying to you. It wasn't pronounced at a press conference but shared in the same context as in the NFLN documentary -- "offhand," as you would say, yet obviously something he has given thought to.

If you aren't taking any job other than replacing belichick, which is the theory here, you don't take interviews. It certainly would conflict with the competitive drive successful HCs have to happily sit as an assistant and pass up HC jobs because you will only work for the top franchise and are afraid to fail.
Stop with the "competitive drive" and "afraid to fail" nonsense. I'm only suggesting a plausible scenario under which McDaniels could be BB's heir within five years. He very well might go elsewhere this year but IF he stays it sure as hell doesn't automatically equate to being fearful or non-competitive.

Last edited:
I think that's a tough Job like the Patriots who own the AFC East: Sea Hawks will own the AFC West for years to come. Unless Josh likes being second best and that's no grantee. The 49ers have a lot of Problems that ain't going away in two years If I was him I would pass.

I am not worried about losing Josh McDaniel's...Bill O'Brien transitioned well after McDaniels left and we came close to winning a SB. Ever since Charlie Weis's departure the Patriots have done well hiring from within so I expect Brian Daboll to do well here.

My only concern is that its been noted many times Tom and Josh act talk and gameplan like they share one mind that is invaluable.
Couldn't Kraft just give Josh and Matf huge pay raises.
I mean who cares
Would the NFL revolt if Josh and Matty were both paid like mid level head coaches.

For his own sake I hope that Josh avoids SF.

And for my sake I hope that he and Patricia stay in NE for the next 10 years.

I never got why teams need to rush to hire coaches. Usually the best candidates are on playoff teams and they rush to sign these guys who aren't as good to get the early jump on things.

Personally I think the early jump is overrated and if you believe the coach is the guy wouldn't you be willing to have 1 year under achieve if he will be a coach you are happy with for 10+ years?

The timing turns out to be terrible for coaches that go deep in the playoffs. Consider coordinators and position coaches. The talent pool is at a peak right after the last game ends and the HC firings happen. Then all the musical chairs happens. Most teams replace their HCs in a week or two, and these new HCs create opportunities for position coaches to become coordinators, etc. A HC that is hired after all this happens doesn't have the pick of that talent pool, all they get is the left-overs.

if McDaniels leaves, my guess is there will be a trade in place for Jimmy G. I'm hoping for a 2nd/4th and a 2018 1st

For what it is worth: Bill Simmons had Mike Lombardi on his podcast near the first of the season and Simmons started to talk about why Josh would stay with the Pats. Lombardi interrupted him and said Josh felt he was ready to be a head coach again (and was way better than many other head coaches across the league) and he was out of here after the season and he would be taking Jimmy G. with him.

Last edited:
If he does go to SF, he could make a big trade for Jimmy.

Information often manifests as the first someone has ever heard. Imagine that! Because there are no links available to comments made in the course of conversation on the radio years ago doesn't mean I'm lying to you. It wasn't pronounced at a press conference but shared in the same context as in the NFLN documentary -- "offhand," as you would say, yet obviously something he has given thought to.

Stop with the "competitive drive" and "afraid to fail" nonsense. I'm only suggesting a plausible scenario under which McDaniels could be BB's heir within five years. He very well might go elsewhere this year but IF he stays it sure as hell doesn't automatically equate to being fearful or non-competitive.
But it does. He is a coach who wants to be a head coach. Being offered a head coaching job and declining so you can sit around waiting for the coach of the best franchise to retire absolutely is a fear of failure and shows a lack of self confidence or competitive drive.
I say this not because McDaniels has those issues but because those characteristics are the exact reason that people cut out to be head coaches would not do what you suggest.

Feel free to give me a list of all the top head coaches who turned down jobs and stayed as assistants waiting out a retirement by the coach of a great team.

You misread my post Andy. I didn't say "as soon as a good job comes open it's his". I said as his stock raises those jobs will be offered to him. If he's patient he could land a premium job. He doesn't have to take the worst job possible because it "came open".

"Every one of those jobs" come open every year. He's young.
But you misunderstand me. If he waits for the perfect job he may be waiting forever.
There are many jobs on that list that would qualify as the type of job people are saying he shouldn't take. Almost all of them in fact. And even they didn't want to hire him. There are rarely HC available without problems or they wouldn't be open.

What in saying is if he passes up a job today what is he expecting to get tomorrow because all of those jobs are going to be similar and he probably won't get offered most of them.

With some guarantees in place I can see that as an interesting offer.

San Francisco is a nice city to leave I can tell you that, California is well, California and although the ownership is toxic there, SF is a big market and the 49ers have the DNA of a winning franchise, that's important, F Tennessee, Jaguars, etc...those are dead man walking franchises. The 49ers have a fanbase waiting for this team to deserve their money on tickets again. Screw the bandwagon thing, everybody has the right to be on/off the bandwagon these days, there's a lot of things to do on a daily base it's not like we are in the 80's or 90's in terms of nothing to do on Sundays only barbecue and football.

The problem there is really the lack of talent on the team, they are in worse shape than the Browns for example so it's gonna be a long and exhausting rebuilding. It's not like he's is going to a loser franchise with some players in place like the Jaguars.
Try this. Name all of the jobs that would substantially be better than SF. Then look at the chances of any of those being open any time soon. Then consider the long odds of actually being offered the one you wanted.

Yeah, but I doubt it would be the #2 overall. People on the thread have mentioned it could be something like the #34 overall and their 2018 first rounder. I'd be happy with that.

That organization is just toxic. I would only go if I can buy the groceries

I think he would go to SF, but ONLY if he runs the whole football operation, meaning that the GM/personnel guy works for him. As others have said, a bad/wacky owner issue is fixed with a long-term contract/parachute.

And if he does, say for a 2nd and 4th this year and a 1st next year, that 1st rounder would be a very high pick next year, because Josh and Jimmy are not turning SF around in one year.

The biggest risk, and it is a legitimate fear with the current bunch running the NFL*, is that they see the Pats as too strong again and conspire a way to confiscate that #1 pick from the Pats.

But you misunderstand me. If he waits for the perfect job he may be waiting forever.
There are many jobs on that list that would qualify as the type of job people are saying he shouldn't take. Almost all of them in fact. And even they didn't want to hire him. There are rarely HC available without problems or they wouldn't be open.

What in saying is if he passes up a job today what is he expecting to get tomorrow because all of those jobs are going to be similar and he probably won't get offered most of them.

Sure. It's subjective anyways.

Anyways he's young. HC jobs open up every year. He'll get his opportunities. If the Pats do well in the playoffs and win another trophy the demand for Josh will increase.

One thing I didn't realize which supports your argument is that SF has a great cap space situation and great draft capital for the upcoming draft. The only team in a better situation is the Browns.

So maybe you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents