PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCarron netted a 2nd + 3rd but Jimmy G a 2nd?

This is what happens when your lush of an owner forces your Hall of Fame coaches hand.
Not sure I believe this story but if true, it reminds me of how the Terry Glenn pick went down and Parcells’ subsequent departure. Kraft also sold out McDonough leading up to that draft which still rubs me the wrong way. It was a real **** move by Kraft on a lot of levels.

Well, we know the Browns are stupid. So stupid that this trade didn't go through because they didn't submit the trade in time.

1. The deal didn't happen.
2. It was likely a desperation move by Cleveland who just saw a potential QB prospect get snatched up before their eyes, uncertain over whether Darnold even enters the draft, and whether the 49'ers could screw them even more by getting the 1st overall and trading down a fortune to a QB needy team.
3. Belichick made a point to trade him to the worst team in the other conference to a team we don't even see for 3 seasons.

Not sure I believe this story but if true, it reminds me of how the Terry Glenn pick went down and Parcells’ subsequent departure. Kraft also sold out McDonough leading up to that draft which still rubs me the wrong way. It was a real **** move by Kraft on a lot of levels.
No one made more "**** moves" in that entire sorry, sordid episode than Bill Parcells. The ultimate bloodless mercenary.

Belichick wasn't going to deal Jimmy to the Browns (AFC, and IMHO he wanted to put Jimmy in a decent, but safe, spot). He only sought out the 49ers, and when there's only one buyer, the price goes down.

Also, we're talking about the Browns. :)

Edit: Hey, @AndyJohnson, if you're gonna disagree, at least say why. :)

You have it backwards. The 49ers inquired to Belichick about Brady first and then on the 2nd call back asked about Garoppolo.

There was more than 1 suitor for Garoppolo. The Browns had inquired about him and the Pats said no.

Think about THIS.

When Belichick traded Bledsoe he had absolutely no issue sending him to the Bills. But with Garoppolo, Belichick made sure it was not only outside the division, but outside the Conference to a team that the Patriots won't see outside of the play-offs until 2021. By then, Brady and Belichick are likely gone. I think that Belichick did this for two reasons.

1- Out of respect for Garoppolo. Give the kid a legit chance to grow into a damn good QB without having to face the team that got him two rings. Also gets the kid out of Brady's shadow so he can be his own man.

2 - Ensure that they don't have to worry about Garoppolo outside of the play-offs until after Brady retires. That way they'll never have to have a Favre v. Rodgers or Montana v. Young type of media circus.

This is what happens when your lush of an owner forces your Hall of Fame coaches hand.

Except it didn't happen.. Belichick would resign before he let Kraft do that..

You have it backwards. The 49ers inquired to Belichick about Brady first and then on the 2nd call back asked about Garoppolo.

There was more than 1 suitor for Garoppolo. The Browns had inquired about him and the Pats said no.

Think about THIS.

When Belichick traded Bledsoe he had absolutely no issue sending him to the Bills. But with Garoppolo, Belichick made sure it was not only outside the division, but outside the Conference to a team that the Patriots won't see outside of the play-offs until 2021. By then, Brady and Belichick are likely gone. I think that Belichick did this for two reasons.

1- Out of respect for Garoppolo. Give the kid a legit chance to grow into a damn good QB without having to face the team that got him two rings. Also gets the kid out of Brady's shadow so he can be his own man.

2 - Ensure that they don't have to worry about Garoppolo outside of the play-offs until after Brady retires. That way they'll never have to have a Favre v. Rodgers or Montana v. Young type of media circus.
Saying the browns called and belichick said no is totally untrue.

Trades are based off contract. Getting a QB for 8 games before needing a new contract has little value.

Are empty soda pop cans and bottles still worth $0.05 each in MA & ME?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back