PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo will be the new HC

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I said in October about potential candidates:

Jerod Mayo - I am not against a defensive minded HC who hires someone innovative to work on the offensive side of the ball. Mayo has the leadership traits as a former player as well as the Xs and Os experience through working with Bill for 5 years to be a successful CEO style head coach. Coaches that defer to their coordinators for play calling and manage the game have been successful for a long time - Bill, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Carroll to name a few.

Lions OC Ben Johnson - The best available external candidate. The lions are a superbowl contender in large part to his innovative offense. Jared Goff is having a career year & he has successfully integrated multiple young players in St. Brown & LaPorta into his offense that weren’t first round picks. His offensive philosophy of being physical up front & using play action is similar to the pats offense over the years. His scheme would also be friendly to a young QB.

There is a clear gap after these two candidates. There is risk with hiring any candidate but Mayo’s familiarity and Johnson’s track record make them pretty good candidates IMO.

Frank Smith Dolphins OC - This is his first year as OC on the most explosive offense in the NFL. Hiring a Mcvay or Shanahan candidate can go either way obviously. How much of the offenses’ success is related to McDaniel? Smith’s playcalling would be modern atleast.

Dave Canales Bucs OC - Keep an eye on him. He was the QB coach for Geno Smith’s career year with the Seahawks and now has Baker Mayfield doing the same. If the Bucs keep this up he’ll be one of the hotter names on the market IMO.

While my preference is Vrabel because he’s more proven Mayo fits the mold of recent successful coaches as a former player with leadership traits. Also, I’m not sure how important experience is either.

Mike McDaniel
age hired: 38
previous experience: 1 year offensive coordinator
record: 20-14, first time dolphins have made playoffs in back to back years since 2001

DeMeco Ryans
previous experience: 2 years defensive coordinator
record: 10-7

Kevin O’Connell
age hired: 36
previous experience: 3 years offensive coordinator
record: 20-14

Mayo’s 5 years of being co-defensive coordinator is less experience than these candidates? I think it’s arguable whether wearing the green dot for a BB defense or being a low level assistant coach is more relevant experience for a HC position.

If the pats were going to move on from bill they were going to need younger, more relatable HC & a modern roster construction philosophy. Mayo is risky but there is upside. The next GM will be important so they can work together in modernizing the team.

No they don’t
(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Havent you heard?

Mayo is ready for an NFL HC job. If you dont believe it just ask him.

when in your view will he be ready? when in your view were any of the current successful coaches like mcVay, mcdaniels, shanahan ready? when was vrabel ready?

I understand wating vrabel over mayo because he has more experience being a head coach. but acting like you cant hire a head coach because he hasn't been a head coach baffles me. its not like mayo was just some scout...

i'm sure you will say "well they were OC and DC!" sure. but thats just because bill wouldn't give Mayo the title. just like he never gave patricia title of OC even though thats what he was.

when in your view will he be ready? when in your view were any of the current successful coaches like mcVay, mcdaniels, shanahan ready?
Right.

I want to be the Pats DC. I'm ready. I figure that I will do that a couple of years and then move on to HC. Just keep moving up the ladder to NFL owner. I'm ready.

No more wait and see around here, huh? Nope, don't like it. This move sucks. They are doomed.

Right.

I want to be the Pats DC. I'm ready. I figure that I will do that a couple of years and then move on to HC. Just keep moving up the ladder to NFL owner. I'm ready.

i'm guessing you are just trolling as usual. since you know there is nothing to offer as a legitimate counter.

What I said in October about potential candidates:

While my preference is Vrabel because he’s more proven Mayo fits the mold of recent successful coaches as a former player with leadership traits. Also, I’m not sure how important experience is either.

Mike McDaniel
previous experience: 1 year offensive coordinator
record: 20-14, first time dolphins have made playoffs in back to back years since 2001

DeMeco Ryans
previous experience: 2 years defensive coordinator
record: 10-7

Kevin O’Connell
age hired: 36
previous experience: 3 years offensive coordinator
record: 20-14

Mayo’s 5 years of being co-defensive coordinator is less experience than these candidates? I think it’s arguable whether wearing the green dot for a BB defense or being a low level assistant coach is more relevant experience for a HC position.

If the pats were going to move on from bill they were going to need younger, more relatable HC & a modern roster construction philosophy. Mayo is risky but there is upside. The next GM will be important so they can work together in modernizing the team.

mcdaniel is a questionable example, though.....he's being exposed as a horrible in game coach, and his act is starting to wear thin....these guys have done a nice job, sort of, for a couple of years......let's see what they do when it truly counts before labeling it a real success

agreed GM is more important, but this position goes WELL beyond on the field/in the locker room - "relates with younger players" is nice, but this town is a cesspool to coach in.......between the fans & the media, following the GOAT, looking at the way the Krafts undercut BB all season........this is not a very good starter gig....there are no training wheels in this market, and I don't care how much green dot experience you have, nothing can prepare anyone for the level of attention and scrutiny this position is going to be under......i'd love to be proven wrong, because until the lurid details of just what went down started to trickle out, I liked Mayo.......I'm just not sold on this being a position ANY rookie coach can succeed in

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

You are not reading the text you are sourcing properly. Read the full article:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

This is saying that if Mayo was hired to be the HC at a DIFFERENT team, then the Patriots would be entitled to draft pick compensation. The section you are quoting at the bottom is saying that Mayo would need to have been employed in NE for at least 2 seasons and could not have already been our HC. He still needs to go work elsewhere for NE to get picks, they can't promote him to give themselves picks. The purpose of the program is to promote teams to develop minority coaches that go on to succeed elsewhere, not to push teams into choosing the minority applicants in order to give themselves capital.

Happy for Mayo. I’m nervous, but optimistic.

Now please, go hire some new assistants and a new grocery shopper.

Well, hell here we go. LFG Mayo!!! I can get behind this

LFG MAYO!

I get a 2nd life out of my jersey. One of my favs.
I remember at one point in The Dynasty Run Belichick on the radio was saying "every player is expendable. But f you want to talk about Jerod Mayo, that's a different story."

I'm sure a lot of people will say "not enough of a change." But to me the question we'll see answered is: What really is "the Patriot Way"? Was it The Brady Way? Was it The Belichick Way? Or is it The Kraft Way, which can be carried through from ine era to another?

Obviously, the Patriots had everything in place. There are still needs on the coaching staff.....: GM, possible new D Coordinator etc. He is new to that position so is going to need the right people around him.. GL Coach Mayo!

Happy for Mayo. I’m nervous, but optimistic.

Now please, go hire some new assistants and a new grocery shopper.

I'm way less optimistic than I was before all the BS started to come out how this has come about

I have little trust in the Krafts at this point not to further **** this hope

Hopeful, but not holding my breath.

Happy for Jerod let’s see the staff he builds.

Need a top OC.
Will be interesting to see how many defensive coaches stay with Mayo or follow Bill. I’d bet more stay here rather than move their families. Offense could see major turnover.
Obviously need change at GM. Do they bring in a GM over Mayo?
Clearly the GM role was the one that failed. But a top GM often wants to pick the coach and install their system. Interesting dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents