PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Patricia likely to take Lions or Giants HC job (UPDATE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is coaching with the goal of being an NFL HC. Why would he turn down an offer? That makes zero sense.

The goal is not to become HC but to stay HC for a while. That is a huge difference.

Most people know that they need to develop all the tools and skills to be a HC and can't just jump the few steps in between. Otherwise they might just be one and done. In other words gaining experience and going the path that MP went is actually preferable to just being thrown right into the cold water and be overwhelmed by it all.

Even McVay who seems to be everyone's newest young genius had what ? 2-3 years as OC before becoming HC. And even then he hired a DC that could run most of the defensive show himself to avoid a disaster.

There is little chance Bidwell will give control over his franchise to someone who has no experience as coordinator on O/D/ST. The entire thing is a non-story that is just being fed to the media by Flores' agent to maybe get a bigger salary bump and get his name out.

That being said I would be fine with 1-2 transition years under Schiano as DC or at least assistant. Better than Daly or Boyer.

Last edited:
But let's be honest that flores's still much an unknown. He has been under this system for awhile now. He's a young guy. He still could have his chances.

He is an unknown to you, us fans and the general public. But by all accounts he has an excellent reputation in the coaching world. He was already interviewing around last year.

Prediction Patricia leaves to coach the Giants.
McDaniels stays he is very loyal to his mentor and family.
Colts hire Vrabel
Lions hire Wilks
Cardinals hire Shurmur
We retain Mcdaniels and Flores

Did you even know Flores exists before DYJ1 or even before the coach hiring process this offseason started ? Seems to me like most people learned Boyer's name only because of the 2011 pass defense and then quickly forgot him when Talib arrived.

Daboll will stay in Alabama and that is good for everyone involved.
No wow you got me man, I didn't know the coaching staff of the team I root for. But you're right, despite the fact that players seem to speak glowingly about him and he runs the best situational component of the defense, it's offensive of me to even suggest it would be a shame if the Pats lose him too, in addition to their current D.C.; indeed, it is sheer idiocy on my part to suggest that less changes to the staff would be preferable to more, because in fact, the team could plug in mannequins at all coaching and coordinator positions and it would be fine, and only a fraud fan like me would even DARE to suggest an iota otherwise. I stand corrected! Let's lock all threads like this, because whoever is on the Pats coaching staff is irrelevant. Thanks.

Prediction Patricia leaves to coach the Giants.
McDaniels stays he is very loyal to his mentor and family.
Colts hire Vrabel
Lions hire Wilks
Cardinals hire Shurmur
We retain Mcdaniels and Flores

I think it is closer to 80/20 (if not higher) that Patricia lands in Detroit than in NY. It makes no sense at all for him to go there if he can instead land with a GM he knows very well and has a shared philosophy of doing things.

Also I think the Colts job will be McDaniels' if he wants it which will depend on the exact Luck situation. Also possible that the Colts get cold feet and dont want to wait until after the SB in fear of missing out.

No wow you got me man, I didn't know the coaching staff of the team I root for. But you're right, despite the fact that players seem to speak glowingly about him and he runs the best situational component of the defense, it's offensive of me to even suggest it would be a shame if the Pats lose him too, in addition to their current D.C.; indeed, it is sheer idiocy on my part to suggest that less changes to the staff would be preferable to more, because in fact, the team could plug in mannequins at all coaching and coordinator positions and it would be fine, and only a fraud fan like me would even DARE to suggest an iota otherwise. I stand corrected! Let's lock all threads like this, because whoever is on the Pats coaching staff is irrelevant. Thanks.

That actually sounds a lot like you given the stuff you have been posting in the last few weeks.

And saying you wouldnt even blink if he replaces MP is the kind of stupidity that fits that.

I think it is closer to 80/20 (if not higher) that Patricia lands in Detroit than in NY. It makes no sense at all for him to go there if he can instead land with a GM he knows very well and has a shared philosophy of doing things.

Also I think the Colts job will be McDaniels' if he wants it which will depend on the exact Luck situation. Also possible that the Colts get cold feet and dont want to wait until after the SB in fear of missing out.
I think Cold feet woudlnt be a issue with the Agent having intimate knowledge to MCdaniels thinking.
It's more will Josh be happy uplifting his family does he trust he has the support does he trust Luck or Brissett to bring him success and can he walk away from his mentor and his BFF.
Is this the right situation or does he wait for the Pat's job down the road.

Also can he work for a crackhead owner and will Ballard throw him under the bus if Luck is physically never the same or has a setback or injury.
He better be damn sure of all above before he moves to hicktown USA.
For me deflategate would be it for me Luck mocked Brady the fans mocked us I couldn't sell my soul to that particular franchise.
Giants or Lions I could leave with the right circumstance but just knowing what they put Tom and the team thru.
I would tell them thanks but no thanks.
Maybe he will if not Josh is just another coordinator who will be a average head coach without Brady and Belichick thats how quick I turn my fandom on and off.

The goal is not to become HC but to stay HC for a while. That is a huge difference.

Most people know that they need to develop all the tools and skills to be a HC and can't just jump the few steps in between. Otherwise they might just be one and done. In other words gaining experience and going the path that MP went is actually preferable to just being thrown right into the cold water and be overwhelmed by it all.

Even McVay who seems to be everyone's newest young genius had what ? 2-3 years as OC before becoming HC. And even then he hired a DC that could run most of the defensive show himself to avoid a disaster.

There is little chance Bidwell will give control over his franchise to someone who has no experience as coordinator on O/D/ST. The entire thing is a non-story that is just being fed to the media by Flores' agent to maybe get a bigger salary bump and get his name out.

That being said I would be fine with 1-2 transition years under Schiano as DC or at least assistant. Better than Daly or Boyer.
I think you just don’t understand the mentality of a coach. If your thought process were prevalent weak teans would struggle to get candidates which isn’t close to true.

It took Patricia 6 years as dc, 2 SB championships and a potential 3rd to seemingly get a hc job.
That’s on a team with B.B. and Brady.

Logic would say Flores will take even longer than that given brady and realistically B.B. don’t have 6 years left.

He is coaching with the goal of being an NFL HC. Why would he turn down an offer? That makes zero sense.
NFL coaches who are capable of being great HCs believe that they can walk in the door and turn any team into a winner, unless there are major factors that would prevent them from doing their job (weak roster isn’t under if them)
Almost every great hc in nfl history walked into a bad situation and fixed it.

What makes zero sense is your post. Arguably the greatest coach of all time, backed by, arguably, the greatest staff of all time, couldn't make a go of it in Cleveland, in his first time around.

You wait until you find a good situation (especially at QB), you get incredibly lucky, or you get fired. That's the NFL, everywhere but Cincinnati.

Last edited:
What makes zero sense is your post. Arguably the greatest coach of all time, backed by, arguably, the greatest staff of all time, couldn't make a go of it in Cleveland, in his first time around.

You wait until you find a good situation (especially at QB), you get incredibly lucky, or you get fired. That's the NFL, everywhere but Cincinnati.
That opportunity may never come.
Belichick didn’t have the QB.
Walsh didn’t have the qb.
Jimmy Johnson didn’t have the QB.
Noll didn’t have the QB
There are more successful runs where the coach came before the QB than where he inherited him.

Of course this all ignores the mentality of the type of person who succeeds as an nfl coach, that their program and their coaching is what leads to success not getting lucky acquiring a roster.

By your argument there are like 5 good jobs none are vacant so no cusch should ever accept a job.

Belichick as making it work in Cleveland before the owner announced he was moving the team during a season.

I think you just don’t understand the mentality of a coach. If your thought process were prevalent weak teans would struggle to get candidates which isn’t close to true.

Last year, this year and most probably next year just prove that it is you who just doesn't understand it the HC hiring process. But sure go on pretending that you do..

Of course this all ignores the mentality of the type of person who succeeds as an nfl coach, that their program and their coaching is what leads to success not getting lucky acquiring a roster.

lol

Last year, this year and most probably next year just prove that it is you who just doesn't understand it the HC hiring process. But sure go on pretending that you do..
So give me a list of all the coaches who have turned down jobs to stay assistants.

Even though it is incredibly debatable I’ll concede McDaniels did, as the exception to the rule.

Couldn't make a go or was turning things around and needed more time while dealing with Art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST