PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Patricia likely to take Lions or Giants HC job (UPDATE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just doing some early AM wise cracking, but I hear what you’re saying. A person could be in a worse situation than living with loved ones, that’s for sure. I suppose our society has a stereotype where they imagine an overweight nerd playing video games all day, but if either my mom or my mother in law were to get ill, I’d surely want to move them in my home as opposed to an assisted living facility.

Unfortunately, I don’t even have warm beer and nudie mags in my own basement, as my wife threw out my mini fridge because she claimed that it was icing over in the back (I call bull crap). Getting even a small wedge of real kitchen fridge space is easier said than done. I’m currently “allowed” to keep around 4 beers in there, right next to the soy sauce and Hershey’s syrup. :)

It's funny, because it's such a change from the way people used to live. We've gone from having multigenerational living arrangements, to abandoning the home ASAP. Somewhere, somehow, it's got to be tied to an advertising campaign.

As for you and the wife, I'll just say the obligatory "pants!" and leave it at that. :D

Normally I would say that the Giants job is better, but after the Manning fiasco this season I wouldn’t touch that job while Manning is still there. Any coach involved with his release is going to be tarred and feathered by Giants fans.

And as far as Detroit goes I think he should pass because of Jim Bob. Taking a job where your coordinator is forced on you, especially when he was passed over for it is far less than ideal. Patricia and Mcdaniels both deserve coaching gigs, but they need to be really careful about stepping into the wrong situations. Right now I think Arizona is actually the best opportunity. They have Johnson and Fitzgerald, and the defense has talent. Sign a FA QB and draft one high and they could turn it around in a hurry.

Didn't Ditka do that as well in 1985 with Buddy Ryan? Or did he have some involvement?
Forgot about that one. Ryan predated Ditka and I think wanted to get rid of him but Singletary and Fensik pleaded with Ditka to keep him and he did.

Of course Ryan told Ditka to stay the hell away from his defense lol

Maybe Cream Cheese was thinking that Barry Sanders is still toting the rock for them?

Yeah. The Lions haven't had a lot of luck with RBs since Sanders left, especially not with draftees. "Sanders curse"?

Shortly after Sanders, they had James Stewart for a couple years who they signed as a UFA from I forget where. After that, there was Kevin Jones, who was pretty exciting - when he was healthy.

Keeping RBs healthy seems to have been a serious problem for them, especially over the past decade. Smith, Best and Leshoure were disasters, health-wise.

The current Lions RB that I like is Riddick. He's more receiver than rusher, but still a guy that they could build around. I laughed when they drafted the grossly over-hyped Abdullah, though. None of the draft experts seemed to notice (or care) that, in spite of his otherworldly college production numbers, he fumbled the ball about once every 40 touches.

Of course, it's also not as if their OL has been consistently better than mediocre at run-blocking (Sanders' OL was pretty good, most of the time.)

Downside to Detroit is obviously that he has to live in/near Detroit.

Ann Arbor is about an hour's drive west. Birmingham is a straight shot north out Woodward Ave., maybe 15 miles (<25 minutes, if you time the lights well). Plymouth and Northville are a little closer, to the west out I-96. Grosse Pointe is even closer, maybe 5-6 miles out East Jeff.

And, there are a lot of pretty spots and quiet, comfy old neighborhoods in the city, too.

But, y'know, the good things are never newsworthy on a national level. Really, BSPN is just a microcosm of national news media. They're all about glitz and glamor, or controversy and devastation as if there's nothing in between.

... but if either my mom or my mother in law were to get ill, I’d surely want to move them in my home as opposed to an assisted living facility.

That's what we did for the past decade - both of my wife's parents.

Yea that's what I want too.

I think he's brilliant and he's a renegade.

I’d rather have a Patricia as well. Ultimately however I think Caserio will be the one making that decision and I have confidence he will get it right.

I’d rather have a Patricia as well. Ultimately however I think Caserio will be the one making that decision and I have confidence he will get it right.
Agree. Caserio seems sharp as a tack and really has his **** together.

Yeah. The Lions haven't had a lot of luck with RBs since Sanders left, especially not with draftees. "Sanders curse"?

Shortly after Sanders, they had James Stewart for a couple years who they signed as a UFA from I forget where. After that, there was Kevin Jones, who was pretty exciting - when he was healthy.

Keeping RBs healthy seems to have been a serious problem for them, especially over the past decade. Smith, Best and Leshoure were disasters, health-wise.

The current Lions RB that I like is Riddick. He's more receiver than rusher, but still a guy that they could build around. I laughed when they drafted the grossly over-hyped Abdullah, though. None of the draft experts seemed to notice (or care) that, in spite of his otherworldly college production numbers, he fumbled the ball about once every 40 touches.

Of course, it's also not as if their OL has been consistently better than mediocre at run-blocking (Sanders' OL was pretty good, most of the time.)

I remember when Abdullah first came out, I wasn't really high on him at all based on what I had saw of him at Nebraska. But Manx was so high on him in the draft forum, he actually sold me on Abdullah. I think at the time he even had a "Fear Ameer" avatar. Riddick is great as a third down back but the Lions need a true bell cow. Someone they can trust to gain 4-6 yards on first down to make second and third down more convertible and someone to help keep that defense off of the field. How they haven't found one in all of these years is absolutely mind boggling (especially given how you can generally find a quality back in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds of the draft).

I’m just doing some early AM wise cracking, but I hear what you’re saying. A person could be in a worse situation than living with loved ones, that’s for sure. I suppose our society has a stereotype where they imagine an overweight nerd playing video games all day, but if either my mom or my mother in law were to get ill, I’d surely want to move them in my home as opposed to an assisted living facility.

Unfortunately, I don’t even have warm beer and nudie mags in my own basement, as my wife threw out my mini fridge because she claimed that it was icing over in the back (I call bull crap). Getting even a small wedge of real kitchen fridge space is easier said than done. I’m currently “allowed” to keep around 4 beers in there, right next to the soy sauce and Hershey’s syrup. :)

Jesus.

REMEMBER JAHVID BEST!!!!

FYI it looks like the Colts aside from interviewing head coach candidates are interviewing possible OCS and DCs.
That would lead me to believe they beleive they have their next coach sewn up.
I can't think McDaniels would allow for interviews without his Blessing as far as DC and OC becuase if Josh can't handpick his staff he seems destined to fail.

That’s what I’m saying, and it’s not exactly a small fridge. :D

I’ve got to make sure that what I do keep cold consists of straight blackout beers (alcohol content of 9-10%), and I always make sure to rotate one in from the pantry when I take one out. It’s a pain in the butt, although I’ve kinda gotten used to it at this point.

Normally I would say that the Giants job is better, but after the Manning fiasco this season I wouldn’t touch that job while Manning is still there. Any coach involved with his release is going to be tarred and feathered by Giants fans.

And as far as Detroit goes I think he should pass because of Jim Bob. Taking a job where your coordinator is forced on you, especially when he was passed over for it is far less than ideal. Patricia and Mcdaniels both deserve coaching gigs, but they need to be really careful about stepping into the wrong situations. Right now I think Arizona is actually the best opportunity. They have Johnson and Fitzgerald, and the defense has talent. Sign a FA QB and draft one high and they could turn it around in a hurry.

The Giants are a dumpster fire in a locker room loaded with primadonnas, no QB, no OL Line, and a new GM that is looking to rebuild. Plus, cheating Mara, the silver spooned loser, I simply have no respect for at all.

Detroit, has an improving D, non-meddling owner, a Pats groomed GM, a good Pro Bowl level QB which is the real key to all of this, and a division that is weaker than ever with GB fading for a while, if not for good, and Chicago really far behind with a super cheap owner and an awful coaching hire from this week.

Arizona? No QB, a clueless GM who keeps overpaying people (Palmer, Jones, Fitz) and thinka rebuilding is a bad word. Who is their QB and why on god's green earth did they need try to outbid SF on JimmyG?

Lastly, if Patricia really wanted to position himself to NY, why on earth didn't the Giants trade for JimmyG?

There are so many dumb franchises out there, but I believe Patricia was going to Detroit last year, but promised BB 1 more to try to complete the second dynasty for the Pats in the cap era.

That’s what I’m saying, and it’s not exactly a small fridge. :D

I’ve got to make sure that what I do keep cold consists of straight blackout beers (alcohol content of 9-10%), and I always make sure to rotate one in from the pantry when I take one out. It’s a pain in the butt, although I’ve kinda gotten used to it at this point.

rofl.gif

We have very different takes on male/female relationships.

The Giants are a dumpster fire in a locker room loaded with primadonnas, no QB, no OL Line, and a new GM that is looking to rebuild. Plus, cheating Mara, the silver spooned loser, I simply have no respect for at all.

Detroit, has an improving D, non-meddling owner, a Pats groomed GM, a good Pro Bowl level QB which is the real key to all of this, and a division that is weaker than ever with GB fading for a while, if not for good, and Chicago really far behind with a super cheap owner and an awful coaching hire from this week.

Arizona? No QB, a clueless GM who keeps overpaying people (Palmer, Jones, Fitz) and thinka rebuilding is a bad word. Who is their QB and why on god's green earth did they need try to outbid SF on JimmyG?

Lastly, if Patricia really wanted to position himself to NY, why on earth didn't the Giants trade for JimmyG?

There are so many dumb franchises out there, but I believe Patricia was going to Detroit last year, but promised BB 1 more to try to complete the second dynasty for the Pats in the cap era.

A couple of things. I don't think Stafford is consistently a "pro-bowl level QB". He is good but not incredible. Detroit does have a former Pats groomed GM which might be the strongest factor. I don't see GB fading, quite the opposite, with a healthy Rodgers returning. Lots of teams look bad for not going after Jimmy G now. The Giants were ravaged by injury this past year and could win 10 games or more next year. It is entirely possible. Perhaps the biggest factor in all of this is living in NYC versus living in Detroit.

rofl.gif

We have very different takes on male/female relationships.

Yeah. It's always sad to see another fallen brother. His wife is running roughshod over him. @supafly maybe I missed this earlier, but is there a reason why you can't just buy another mini-fridge and store as much alcohol in there as you please? If that had happened at my house, there would have been a blowout fight followed by me immediately heading to Target/Wal-Mart to buy a new mini-fridge and an insistence that she now buy me a bottle of scotch for the inconvenience.

A couple of things. I don't think Stafford is consistently a "pro-bowl level QB". He is good but not incredible. Detroit does have a former Pats groomed GM which might be the strongest factor. I don't see GB fading, quite the opposite, with a healthy Rodgers returning. Lots of teams look bad for not going after Jimmy G now. The Giants were ravaged by injury this past year and could win 10 games or more next year. It is entirely possible. Perhaps the biggest factor in all of this is living in NYC versus living in Detroit.

I think Stafford is. I put him on a Rivers level. If you gave him a good OLine, at least 1 good RB? (look at that embarrassment of RBs in recents years), a good, steady TE other than 1st rd bust Ebron, a good GM (Check!), and a good, deep D, he's easily a part of a SB contender.

Look at their GMs and coaches for literally the last 30 years.

Mayhew should have dealt Calvin Johnson at some point, but he never had the balls to.

They have the 2 pieces in place now and a Pro Bowl QB:

1. Non-meddling owners.
2. Good pedigree GM.

These are the two things you need, with the QB, and then good coach comes next.

To me, it's a no brainer for Patricia. Work with Quinn to load up on picks, deal off dead weight like Glover Quin if possible, clear cap space, and nail the next 2 drafts.

I would also not claim super -xpensive NYC is more attractive than a nice Detroit suburb, not to mention downtown Detroit has had massive renovation projects, turning downtown in a cool place now.

In no way, shape or form is N. NJ or NYC necessarily attractive for some people. I avoid it all costs, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes