Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Could Johnny Manziel be a fit for Patriots?

• Id like if they give him a try

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • I believe he could make it here

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • No way Bill takes a chance on him

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • His NFL comeback is unlikely

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like Schrager, but unfortunately for him & the rest of America he is stuck with 3 goofballs who don't take their jobs or their audience seriously.
They must leave the set every day saying to themselves, "I actually get paid for this?"

You're wrong about that. He's very much a hybrid Safety. He also didn't really regress, he just played behind Tartt, who graded out even better. His problem has been his health, but his injuries have been fairly minor. PFF graded him 81.4 in 2017, which is an above average grade, and the 30th overall best for the safety position. They also ranked him as the 42'nd best free agent in the 2017 free agent class. If Pff isnt enough for you, this is what the guys over at the NFL 1000 scouting department had to say about him. They had him ranked as the 10th best SS in 2017.

1. Eric Reid was good everywhere. The fact he still lost his starting spot tells you how good Jaquiski Tartt was. Reid excelled in the box. He was aggressive against the run and didn't miss too many tackles. He had no problem going out wide or playing in slot coverage, either. Look for the impending free agent to have a big impact for whoever he plays for.

—NFL1000 DB Scout, Kyle Posey

The 49ers asked Reid to play a host of roles in 2017—everything from "moneybacker" to deep safety—and he took every challenge with aplomb. Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh had Reid at the line of scrimmage a lot, where he could blitz, shoot the gaps to stop the run or drop into curl/flat coverage based on the defense. He has become one of the NFL's more versatile safeties and would be a major asset for any team looking to expand its nickel and dime coverage looks.

—NFL1000 Lead Scout Doug Farrar
Im no fan of the players who protested, but when you read into the players who have, Reid is among the more intelligent ones who actually spends a lot of time in the community. He is an idiot for being vocal about why teams haven't signed him. However if he is willing to shut up, and start standing, like he said he is, he could be a steal of a signing. I have a feeling most people will have forgotten the whole anthem protest thing by the end of next season, as long as it stops. Its not very often you can get a player of his caliper for the price he might come at. Im all for jumping on and giving it a shot. Ive said it before, take advantage of his situation and offer him a lowball 2-3 year contract with not much guaranteed. Something along the lines of Chungs original 2nd contract. Chung has been great for us, but he has also been up and down at times. I like that they extended him, but he's also going to be 31 by the start of next season. Reid is 26, and has tons of upside.
Even if my player analysis is wrong, Tre Boston is another guy who performed very well last year but still hasn’t found a team yet.

Get back to me if he’s still unsigned in June-July.

Out here in NE Ohio, I got a good look at Manzeil during his tumultuous season with the Browns. Did he have talent? Definitely! Was he a major head case? Absolutely! He came into the NFL as a ****y, head strong rookie. His early displays of the "money" symbol (rubbing thumbs and forefingers together) didn't endear him to anybody. As the season wore on, he showed a nasty habit of being so sure of his ability that he would force throws into very tight windows, often with disasterous results. It is possible that he can change his attitude and beat his addictions. However, it is harder to develop good decision making skills and the ability to find the open receiver rather than forcing a throw into coverage. On that basis, I have no interest in Manzeil as a Patriot. However, I think some NFL team may give him a shot, based solely on his athletic ability and potential.

I’ll tell you this. If he’s having a drinking problem now, just think of what Boston media would do to him. He’d be under a dumpster within three months

So, do you jettison Hoyer, a capable and dependable backup?

Do you not draft a potential replacement for a 41-year-old starter?

Do you carry 4 QBs?

If no, no, and no, then, well...

not saying the pats should get manziel, but hoyer gives you nothing

Hoyer is like a bad insurance plan. 30 million deduction and no prescription plan

not saying the pats should get manziel, but hoyer gives you nothing

Hoyer gives you dependability and stability in the backup role. Manziel could blow up two weeks into the season and leave you holding your junk.

That said, if there is even a glimmer of hope and enough talent, someone, even the Pats, should jump, sure. Could be a steal.

I cant stand the guy and dont think he is particularly good but I dont see what the harm for some teams would be in giving him a non-guaranteed contract as a camp body / QB3. At worst you cut him right at the moment he becomes an issue. Whatever..

When some people wanted to bring in Tebow and used that same argument, the response was often something along the lines of "needless distraction over a player that's not going to make the team".

Hoyer gives you dependability and stability in the backup role. Manziel could blow up two weeks into the season and leave you holding your junk.

That said, if there is even a glimmer of hope and enough talent, someone, even the Pats, should jump, sure. Could be a steal.

hoyer gives you nothing......except dependably sucky......this team is dead with hoyer

When some people wanted to bring in Tebow and used that same argument, the response was often something along the lines of "needless distraction over a player that's not going to make the team".

I understand that but I feel like this is partly in the hand of the team (and the player).

If a team lets the circus happen like the Jets did with Tebow then you will have a circus. After a week or so of being in Foxboro I dont recall Tebow being any big deal that brought distraction to the team. Yes, he got a disproportional amount of media attention up until his deserved ending but BB did his usual thing and Tebow also did not try to take advantage of the situation by putting a spotlight onto him. That came after his stint ended here with all this "BB made me not do a commercial ****".

If Manziel really wants people to believe he changed then getting through an entire camp without drama and putting the team first is the first step. As irrelevant QB3.

We're just feigning interest in the hopes that the Jets try to jump in and sign him. Similar to the Vernon Gholston over Jerod Mayo situation during the 2008 draft.

Hes clean and sober. With no left tackle this team needs another QB. No way Brady makes it thru the season.

Dale, Zo, Bertrand, and other idiots I did not hear,

Roster size is 90. If Johnny "Camp Arm" Manzel does don want a big contract why not kick the tires? Are you idiots really upset he might take the spot of the 9th safety whose name no one will learn?

Maybe you are concerned about his boozing. I personally know recovering alcoholics. Change is possible. If not, cut Johnny Camp Arm.

If he stays off the sauce and if he beats out Hoyer and/or the guy drafted in round 4 - or whatever - cool. Yes, morons, that is a big "IF." For "if not" see paragraph 2 about cutting Johnny Camp Arm.

Note this is not aimed at guys not paid to actually think it through. Or gals, sorry for the sexism.

Sorry to Ian if this is the eighth thread on this topic. I was too upset to check.

I saw the video and good God! His footwork is atrocious. The guy hasn't learned ****.

Nope, don’t want that bum here. B.B. would get him drinking again

Think it through. Roster size is 90.

If Johnny "Camp Arm" does not cost big $$, what's the downside? Seriously? He takes a roster spot from the 22nd LB whose name no one will ever learn.

If he starts drinking again, cut him. If he can't beat out Hoyer and whatever rookie drafted in the 4th round (or whatever) cut him.

Frankly if Belichick decides to kick the tires I'll assume he knows the risks. :)

They've officially taken the anti-Manziel stance? Good, makes me feel better about being okay with it if it happens.

I’ll admit that I loved Manziel (& Jimmy G :) ) prior to the 2014 draft in the draft forum. His skill set does match our offense with short accuracy, a solid release & pocket mobility. I would definitely take him if he’s cleaned his act up. I understand people despising the guy. He threw his career away & is an idiot.

Johnny Manziel: Game Logs at NFL.com

Is that game log suppose to be bad for a 22 year old QB starting for the Browns that had a drinking problem? Two wins & 79 passer rating with a tough schedule.

He can play. Signing him to a 1 year vet. min wouldn’t be like Tebow. He probably wins the backup job IF he’s truly serious about his career. The guy had 550 total yards & 5 TDs in a game vs. Saban dropping dimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes