Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Could Johnny Manziel be a fit for Patriots?

• Id like if they give him a try

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • I believe he could make it here

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • No way Bill takes a chance on him

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • His NFL comeback is unlikely

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone who works with or plays for the Browns is drunk

Roster size is 90. If Johnny "Camp Arm" Manzel does don want a big contract why not kick the tires? Are you idiots really upset he might take the spot of the 9th safety whose name no one will learn?

He might take the spot of the future Malcolm Butler or Jonathan Jones. We know what Manziel is at this point. Any UDFA seems more interesting to bring in than him.

He might take the spot of the future Malcolm Butler or Jonathan Jones. We know what Manziel is at this point. Any UDFA seems more interesting to bring in than him.

It seems fairly likely that the Pats draft a QB this year, perhaps even two. Whatever "extra" throwing reps that are available beyond what Brady and Hoyer take should be going to those guys, not to a veteran "Camp arm", no matter what his name is or personal history.

Again, I’m not an advocate for Manziel, but Hoyer is garbage.....he’s reliable as long as he doesn’t play

He has started for four NFL teams, not including his time with the Pats. That's what a reliable backup is. In emergencies, he has come up with some wins.

No one is proposing he starts and he probably is cut once they acquire a couple other QBs.

"Look everyone hated and mocked Tebow because he did not hide his Christianity and that really makes a lot of people angry."

No, most people could not care less about Tebow. Most people were just tired of his obnoxious, delusional fans. The issue was not that he did not hide his Christianity, it was that he sucked and his fans refused to admit it. They wanted to pretend that he was somehow being picked on. This is because, despite being the overwhelming majority in America (and in the NFL) Christians never tire of pretending to be persecuted.

"He didn't force any of it to anyone."

Who claimed he did? And so what?

"He did not kneel down or raise his fist." No, he didn't. That would take a tremendous amount of courage and sacrifice. Instead, he did something that the overwhelming majority in America agrees with. What a brave man.

"It was right for him. After a game he prayed in solitude and not to gain attention, but the media focused on that as being divisive."

Whether he intended to draw attention to himself or not (and we disagree on that) is irrelevant. The fact is, he did. Had he been a good QB, it would not have mattered.

"Yet, he was and is a laughing stock. The kid was unconventional for sure but he won games including a play off."

If by unconventional, you mean he was inaccurate, was terrible at reading a defense and had a slow release, I agree- he was unconventional. A more honest way of phrasing it, would be that he sucked. Do you seriously think stinking up the joint for 3 and 3/4 of the game while your defense keeps you in it and pulling off one drive to save the team from yourself constitutes winning games? This can't be serious.

"There were a lot of people that played QB in the NFL with talent on his level. Jeff Garcia won a lot of games. Mike Vick was a good running QB. Passer? Not so much. How many of us cheered Flutie?"

No, there weren't. Now you have just lost your damned mind. Not a single one of the people you mentioned was anything but vastly superior to Tebow. Vick wasn't a great passer. But he was a hell of a lot better than Tebow. And he was a much better runner. Plus he was better at torturing dogs. Jeff Garcia made four All Pro teams. Just stop embarrassing yourself. And Doug Flutie? He could have lost his throwing arm and sight in one eye and he still would have been miles better than Tebow. Hell, why not just throw Brady and Montanna in there while you are at it? Meanwhile, over here in reality, Tebow was one of the worst QBs the NFL has ever seen and still got 4 different chances, far more than a prospect with similar skills would have gotten if not for his fan base. The greatest coach in NFL history couldn't turn him into a respectable backup. It is well past time for you Tebow fanatics to wake up. At this point it is just sad. It reminds me of the people who think the Earth is flat.

"When you have a Nate Peterman and Tom Savage staring and Mike Glennon being a sought after QB....why not Johhny?"

I'm not a GM, but I'm going to guess it's because you don't have to worry about one of those other guys poisoning your locker room or getting sloshed and wrapping their car around a tree during the bye week.

"If BB could deal with Tebow, Haynesworth, Dillion and the evil side of Randy Moss, if you can have Manziel to agree to be tested EVERY DAY!!!, we gave that plague on society Tebow a try out, why not Manziel?"

Tebow was a favor to MCDaniels. Haynesworth, Dillon and Randy Moss were massive talents with huge upside. Manziel is not and comes with more baggage.

No one is proposing he starts and he probably is cut once they acquire a couple other QBs.
Nah, man. They’re likely stuck with Hoyer for another year. He would actually cost the team about 600k if he’s cut. Also, no matter who they bring in, those players aren’t going to know the first thing about anything, let alone be able to run our offense as a backup. As you know, that’s not exactly a plug and play position.

Again, I’m not an advocate for Manziel, but Hoyer is garbage.....he’s reliable as long as he doesn’t play
The one thing Hoyer gives us is experience in knowing our offense, and that alone gives him a leg up on any other backup not named Matt Cassel.

Otherwise, I agree with you that Hoyer wouldn’t make me feel too confident in a real game setting.

Am I the only one who remembers that five or six game stretch with the Browns where Hoyer looked really good before going down with an injury?

Nah, man. They’re likely stuck with Hoyer for another year. He would actually cost the team about 600k if he’s cut. Also, no matter who they bring in, those players aren’t going to know the first thing about anything, let alone be able to run our offense as a backup. As you know, that’s not exactly a plug and play position.

I don't consider it stuck. They've gone with unknowns as the second of two, now they have an experienced backup. He can be a backup as long as needed. If they have a draftee ready to do anything in two years, they will probably still go with Hoyer to help him. an experienced backup is good IMO, I don't want a backup learning on the job, under pressure.

Tebow is garbage. Hoyer is serviceable. We've had two franchise QBs back to back- which has skewed some people's perspective.

Am I the only one who remembers that five or six game stretch with the Browns where Hoyer looked really good before going down with an injury?

No, you are not. ;)

Tebow is garbage. Hoyer is serviceable. We've had two franchise QBs back to back- which has skewed some people's perspective.

There’s nothing serviceable about him......he takes you nowhere

Just a few years ago the off season rooster size was 75 or something. UDFAs still made an impact. Maybe back then you'd have a point. Now they pick guys they know they'll cut but someone has to play safety (or whatever). Could that player #89 or #90 have been a diamond in the rough? Yes. So could Manzel. That is why you kick the tires.

I agree from what I know about Manziel. I trust the guys who get paid to do so will learn more than me. Same goes for that player #91 whose place he takes. Oh, guys are not just Belichick. The scouts and positional coaches. Excuse me for thinking the guys that put together a team that usually goes around 12-4 might actually know a bit.

Just a few years ago the off season rooster size was 75 or something. UDFAs still made an impact. Maybe back then you'd have a point. Now they pick guys they know they'll cut but someone has to play safety (or whatever). Could that player #89 or #90 have been a diamond in the rough? Yes. So could Manzel. That is why you kick the tires.

I agree from what I know about Manziel. I trust the guys who get paid to do so will learn more than me. Same goes for that player #91 whose place he takes. Oh, guys are not just Belichick. The scouts and positional coaches. Excuse me for thinking the guys that put together a team that usually goes around 12-4 might actually know a bit.

No you don't kick the tires on him unless you have a QB issue. Unlike many other positions there are only so many QB snaps to be had in camp with about 70-80% going to Brady and the majority of the remaining ones to Hoyer. You dont waste those few snaps here and there on someone you already know everything about. Especially not at times when you might actually try to find a viable future QB and slowly built him up like they did with JG.

You don't waste a roster spot on someone like that in our situation. Any UDFA brought in is more intriguing than Manziel because those will actually get to do football stuff and not just carry equipment and be a camp arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back