Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Could Johnny Manziel be a fit for Patriots?

• Id like if they give him a try

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • I believe he could make it here

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • No way Bill takes a chance on him

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • His NFL comeback is unlikely

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaepernick's got a specific skill set that doesn't involve reading from the pocket, or accuracy, as strong points, so his fit is going to be limited, and that's before we even take other issues into account. Denver had a first round pick that they wanted to give a chance, among their other QBs. Kaepernick was not a fit there. The Colts don't run an offense for Kaepernick, so he was not a fit there.

You're underselling what McCown's been able to do in recent years. His numbers match up fine with Kaepernick, even with Kaepernick's best season included (Going 5 playing seasons back):

Josh McCown Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Colin Kaepernick Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

and look even better if you just go back a more reasonable amount of time (say 2 or 3 playing seasons).

Kizer sucks, but he was a high pick that they wanted to give a chance. But, if you want to put Cleveland on the list, ok, that's one. Seattle was a reasonable possibility, but he didn't end up signing there. That's two. There were enough similarities to Taylor's game that he might, possibly, have fit in Buffalo. After that, there's not much left in terms of fitting options.

And the potential good fit sort of openings aren't likely to be any less limited this year, with all the young QBs expected to come into the league at the top of the draft.

You win.

He is still ranked as having one of the stronger arms to come into the league in recent memory.
Where that ball was headed was Kap's problem.
He definitely belongs in the league as a backup or a QB on a weaker team for now.

I wish I believed this. Eric Reid and Colin Kaepernick would be cheap upgrades on MANY teams, yet neither have a job and CK likely never will.

Kaepernick is a below average QB and Reid has been a free agent for a couple of months.

Everybody deserves a second chance.

But I see the 2018 patriots qb depth chart as:
Brady
Hoyer
Woodside

If Nate Burleson weren't on GMF, then that show could be almost, maybe, watchable. And now he's making two programs unwatchable.
GMF is particularly bad, I don't see how they keep it going with that group of untalented, unknowledgeable goofballs. It's like Romper Room for football fans.

GMF is particularly bad, I don't see how they keep it going with that group of untalented, unknowledgeable goofballs. It's like Romper Room for football fans.
I do like Schrager, but unfortunately for him & the rest of America he is stuck with 3 lightweight dumbasses who don't take their jobs or their audience seriously.

Last edited:
Who added the "don't sign the beast" tag to the thread?

rofl.gif

Reid has been a free agent for a couple of months.
Try a couple of weeks!

Not to mention guys like Tre Boston, Tyvon Branch, and Vaccaro are all available as well.

Reid is a old school safety. While still a good player, he has regressed the last year or two. Most of the time, the safety market takes time to settle as well. He’s really *****ing over nothing at this point.

Try a couple of weeks!

Not to mention guys like Tre Boston, Tyvon Branch, and Vaccaro are all available as well.

Reid is a old school safety. While still a good player, he has regressed the last year or two. Most of the time, the safety market takes time to settle as well. He’s really *****ing over nothing at this point.

You're wrong about that. He's very much a hybrid Safety. He also didn't really regress, he just played behind Tartt, who graded out even better. His problem has been his health, but his injuries have been fairly minor. PFF graded him 81.4 in 2017, which is an above average grade, and the 30th overall best for the safety position. They also ranked him as the 42'nd best free agent in the 2017 free agent class. If Pff isnt enough for you, this is what the guys over at the NFL 1000 scouting department had to say about him. They had him ranked as the 10th best SS in 2017.

1. Eric Reid was good everywhere. The fact he still lost his starting spot tells you how good Jaquiski Tartt was. Reid excelled in the box. He was aggressive against the run and didn't miss too many tackles. He had no problem going out wide or playing in slot coverage, either. Look for the impending free agent to have a big impact for whoever he plays for.

—NFL1000 DB Scout, Kyle Posey

The 49ers asked Reid to play a host of roles in 2017—everything from "moneybacker" to deep safety—and he took every challenge with aplomb. Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh had Reid at the line of scrimmage a lot, where he could blitz, shoot the gaps to stop the run or drop into curl/flat coverage based on the defense. He has become one of the NFL's more versatile safeties and would be a major asset for any team looking to expand its nickel and dime coverage looks.

—NFL1000 Lead Scout Doug Farrar
Im no fan of the players who protested, but when you read into the players who have, Reid is among the more intelligent ones who actually spends a lot of time in the community. He is an idiot for being vocal about why teams haven't signed him. However if he is willing to shut up, and start standing, like he said he is, he could be a steal of a signing. I have a feeling most people will have forgotten the whole anthem protest thing by the end of next season, as long as it stops. Its not very often you can get a player of his caliper for the price he might come at. Im all for jumping on and giving it a shot. Ive said it before, take advantage of his situation and offer him a lowball 2-3 year contract with not much guaranteed. Something along the lines of Chungs original 2nd contract. Chung has been great for us, but he has also been up and down at times. I like that they extended him, but he's also going to be 31 by the start of next season. Reid is 26, and has tons of upside.

I cant stand the guy and dont think he is particularly good but I dont see what the harm for some teams would be in giving him a non-guaranteed contract as a camp body / QB3. At worst you cut him right at the moment he becomes an issue. Whatever..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back